+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit holder working as an independent contractor

abkoesdw

Dec 10, 2016
Hi,

I am a student in university of waterloo. My study permit allows me to work part-time off campus for up to 20 hrs/week. Am I allowed to work as an independent contractor? Can it be considered as a part-time job?

If you have any information/links about this, please let me know.

Cheers

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016 (1st AOR) / 01-12-2016 (BOWP - 2nd AOR)
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
abkoesdw said:
Hi,

I am a student in university of waterloo. My study permit allows me to work part-time off campus for up to 20 hrs/week. Am I allowed to work as an independent contractor? Can it be considered as a part-time job?

If you have any information/links about this, please let me know.

Cheers
I used to work as a student as self-employed (contractor) for 1 year. It's not a problem. Just file your tax return and pay taxes

Reactions: Nikhil030

abkoesdw

Dec 10, 2016
neorol said:
I used to work as a student as self-employed (contractor) for 1 year. It's not a problem. Just file your tax return and pay taxes
Thanks for the answer. Is this type of job also restricted to 20hrs/week?

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016 (1st AOR) / 01-12-2016 (BOWP - 2nd AOR)
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
abkoesdw said:
Thanks for the answer. Is this type of job also restricted to 20hrs/week?
Absolutely... The same restrictions apply. If you check CIC website, it doesn't state anything about the type of work it says:

"As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to:

work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and
work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.
"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

abkoesdw

Dec 10, 2016
neorol said:
Absolutely... The same restrictions apply. If you check CIC website, it doesn't state anything about the type of work it says:

"As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to:

work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and
work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.
"
Okay, thanks!

phe27

Dec 12, 2017
How did you deal with your tax? I have the same issue now. I am now working as an independent contractor, which is part-time. I work no more than 20 hrs. I am concerned that if this is legal for me as I hold the study permit now. And also I am confused how to deal with the tax for this income. Could you help me? Thank you.

Reactions: Nikhil030

noel_232

Jun 25, 2018
Hi there right now I am study permit holder.I work online in india as like affilate marketer(self employed).After getting study permit I stopped doing like affialatr marketer.My question now I got study permit can I work online in canada??

Oct 3, 2018
I have a study permit and has an independent consultant contract for US company. I filled out a W8ben form when I signed my contract before I came to Canada. Do I have to pay tax in Canada even if my residency in my w8ben is not Canada? Is this qualified as part time job?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a study permit and has an independent consultant contract for US company. I filled out a W8ben form when I signed my contract before I came to Canada. Do I have to pay tax in Canada even if my residency in my w8ben is not Canada? Is this qualified as part time job?
This is a complicated situation because residency is determined by the days spent in the country not what you'd like to select. You also have a son attending school in Canada which is another residential tie. Sounds like you are not a US citizen or resident either. Does the US company have offices or clients in the US? If so you likely should be working through their offices in Canada and no more than 20 hours a week during the school year. Because you are living in Canada and have a student permit your work contract must comply by the terms of your status in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also don't believe you're allowed to be self-employed as a student you must work for an employer. I hope you have been working with an immigration lawyer because all these decisions will impact on your ability to gain PR.

ankit.sahni

Feb 6, 2018
Hey,
I went through all the threads..

I still have got a clear answer for the question.

Guys can you update what happened with you guys ?
Did you continue working as a independent contractor ( example- Skip the Dishes)
Did you or did you not have any problem with PGWP.
Were the hours counted ?
Are you allowed to work as a independent contractor if you have a Study permit.

Thanks, looking you help.