+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension Refused

Gurinder1998

Nov 26, 2021
Punjab
Category........
STUDY
My leave was authorized by my college. My surgery was in 2020 and i had a doctor certificate which stated that i can not travel outside India for 12 months due to medical condition. I updated my college and IRCC time to time using webforms and doctor certificates. I applied for study permit in 2020 December online and started online studies in Jan 2021 and stopped studies when my application was rejected in January 2022. Then, i applied again and again they rejected me thrice and then i got approved in March 2023 and entered Canada second time for my final semester. My study permit was valid from March 2023 to December 2023. Thanks for your help. I will just try to apply one last time for PGWP outside Canada for a chance

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My leave was authorized by my college. My surgery was in 2020 and i had a doctor certificate which stated that i can not travel outside India for 12 months due to medical condition. I updated my college and IRCC time to time using webforms and doctor certificates. I applied for study permit in 2020 December online and started online studies in Jan 2021 and stopped studies when my application was rejected in January 2022. Then, i applied again and again they rejected me thrice and then i got approved in March 2023 and entered Canada second time for my final semester. My study permit was valid from March 2023 to December 2023. Thanks for your help. I will just try to apply one last time for PGWP outside Canada for a chance
You can try but your studies were in 2021 which has nothing to do with surgery in 2020. The issue is not the online studies but that you took over a year off. You have too many breaks. You cannot do that and be eligible for PGWP.

Gurinder1998

Nov 26, 2021
Punjab
Category........
STUDY
You can try but your studies were in 2021 which has nothing to do with surgery in 2020. The issue is not the online studies but that you took over a year off. You have too many breaks. You cannot do that and be eligible for PGWP.

I had kidney Transplant which is not a small surgery it’s life threatening so, it has a lot to do with my return to India and leave from my studies

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
You were under Maintained status until the day you left Canada on Feb 03rd 2024. Usually if you are under implied status, applied from within and decides to leave Canada during that period, your application will be rejected. Decision to leave prior to final determination of your pgwp while on implied status was the reason why you were declined.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naturgrl

Gurinder1998

Nov 26, 2021
Punjab
Category........
STUDY
You were under Maintained status until the day you left Canada on Feb 03rd 2024. Usually if you are under implied status, applied from within and decides to leave Canada during that period, your application will be rejected. Decision to leave prior to final determination of your pgwp while on implied status was the reason why you were declined.
Thanks for info. Do you have any source of this information any information on IRCC website any link. That would be great help. So, should i apply from outside Canada right?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks for info. Do you have any source of this information any information on IRCC website any link. That would be great help. So, should i apply from outside Canada right?
Yes. you should apply outside of Canada. Regarding source, read 4 (a) below

• Authorized period ends
    (4) The period authorized for a temporary resident’s stay ends on the earliest of
    • (a) the day on which the temporary resident leaves Canada without obtaining prior authorization to re-enter Canada;
    • (b) the day on which their permit becomes invalid, in the case of a temporary resident who has been issued either a work permit or a study permit;
    • (b.1) the day on which the second of their permits becomes invalid, in the case of a temporary resident who has been issued a work permit and a study permit;
    • (c) the day on which any temporary resident permit issued to the temporary resident is no longer valid under section 63;
    • (c.1) in the case of a person who is required by section 10.01 of the Act to provide their biometric information, the day on which the period of 10 years following the latest day on which the person provided their biometric information under section 10.01 of the Act ends; or
    • (d) the day on which the period authorized under subsection (2) ends, if paragraphs (a) to (c) do not apply.
  • Marginal note:

Nate0803

Mar 20, 2024
Hello everyone, I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek guidance and advice regarding my study permit extension application. I am an international student currently enrolled in the Interactive Media Design program at Algonquin College.

I began my studies in January 2022 in the Web Development and Internet Applications program. However, due to personal circumstances, including mental stress from finding out I was adopted, I took two terms off (which in hindsight was such a mistake) and switched programs to Interactive Media Design in January 2023. This transition was challenging, and my grades suffered as a result. I failed two classes, one of which I failed twice, in my first two terms. However, I have worked hard to improve my academic performance, and my grades have significantly improved in the third level. I'm technically in the fourth level now but due to the previous failed classes, I'm slated to end my studies either at the end of the year or at the end of the first term next year.

I applied for the extension on January 24th, 2024, as my current permit was set to expire on March 20th, 2024 (today). Approximately two weeks after applying, I received a request for additional documents, including education transcripts, travel history, and an explanation letter detailing my academic progression, outlining if there are any gaps, withdrawals, deferrals, or failed classes.

Unfortunately, I did not see this request until after the deadline to provide the documents had passed. However, I have since submitted all required documents today (I ha to make request from my school for my official transcripts and I was told they had sent it directly to the third party which would be the IRCC in this case). While my application has not been rejected yet, I am concerned that it may be due to my previous academic struggles as well as not providing the documents within the timeframe.

I am reaching out to this forum for guidance on how to proceed. Should my study permit extension be rejected, I would like to explore alternative options to continue my studies in Canada. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone, I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to seek guidance and advice regarding my study permit extension application. I am an international student currently enrolled in the Interactive Media Design program at Algonquin College.

I began my studies in January 2022 in the Web Development and Internet Applications program. However, due to personal circumstances, including mental stress from finding out I was adopted, I took two terms off (which in hindsight was such a mistake) and switched programs to Interactive Media Design in January 2023. This transition was challenging, and my grades suffered as a result. I failed two classes, one of which I failed twice, in my first two terms. However, I have worked hard to improve my academic performance, and my grades have significantly improved in the third level. I'm technically in the fourth level now but due to the previous failed classes, I'm slated to end my studies either at the end of the year or at the end of the first term next year.

I applied for the extension on January 24th, 2024, as my current permit was set to expire on March 20th, 2024 (today). Approximately two weeks after applying, I received a request for additional documents, including education transcripts, travel history, and an explanation letter detailing my academic progression, outlining if there are any gaps, withdrawals, deferrals, or failed classes.

Unfortunately, I did not see this request until after the deadline to provide the documents had passed. However, I have since submitted all required documents today (I ha to make request from my school for my official transcripts and I was told they had sent it directly to the third party which would be the IRCC in this case). While my application has not been rejected yet, I am concerned that it may be due to my previous academic struggles as well as not providing the documents within the timeframe.

I am reaching out to this forum for guidance on how to proceed. Should my study permit extension be rejected, I would like to explore alternative options to continue my studies in Canada. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hopefully you are approved. If not, you will have to stop studying and working immediately and then apply to restore your status. If you are in fact refused, consider hiring an immigration lawyer to help you with the restoration application. Good luck.

Nate0803

Mar 20, 2024
Hopefully you are approved. If not, you will have to stop studying and working immediately and then apply to restore your status. If you are in fact refused, consider hiring an immigration lawyer to help you with the restoration application. Good luck.
Thank you! In your opinion, do you think if I apply to restore my status and I give all the required documents, would there be a good chance of me being accepted or is the academic performance too big an issue?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you! In your opinion, do you think if I apply to restore my status and I give all the required documents, would there be a good chance of me being accepted or is the academic performance too big an issue?
I can't tell you one way or the other.

It will depend on many different things including the officer who processes your application, if you took an authorized or unauthorized leave from your school, if you worked at all while not attending school, what evidence you provide to support your reasons for dropping out of school, etc.