+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension Refused

Gurinder1998

Nov 26, 2021
Punjab
Category........
STUDY
Hey, Does anyone here get a PGWP refusal? I left Canada after applying for PGWP and currently, now I am in India and got the decision after 5 months of waiting that says " My application was refused because I am not inside Canada, That why I am not eligible for PGWP. Should I Apply for new PGWP application from Outside Canada?? "You are no longer in Canada; therefore, you are deemed ineligible to apply to change conditions or to extend your stay from within Canada "

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hey, Does anyone here get a PGWP refusal? I left Canada after applying for PGWP and currently, now I am in India and got the decision after 5 months of waiting that says " My application was refused because I am not inside Canada, That why I am not eligible for PGWP. Should I Apply for new PGWP application from Outside Canada?? "You are no longer in Canada; therefore, you are deemed ineligible to apply to change conditions or to extend your stay from within Canada "
So was this the first time you applied for a PGWP? Did you complete your program with a study permit within Canada or online outside of Canada? When did you graduate?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Post the exact letter because it appears as though you mostly studied online from abroad while not on a valid study permit which would likely be why you are being denied PGWP. Did you ever get a second study permit and if so when was it approved?

Gurinder1998

Nov 26, 2021
Punjab
Category........
STUDY
So was this the first time you applied for a PGWP? Did you complete your program with a study permit within Canada or online outside of Canada? When did you graduate?

Yes, And i applied it from inside Canada with Valid study permit and valid school documents after completion on my program. I applied on 26 Sept and after waiting for 5 months decided to come back on Jan 26 and got decision on Feb 21. I competed my program on 18 August.

Gurinder1998

Nov 26, 2021
Punjab
Category........
STUDY
Post the exact letter because it appears as though you mostly studied online from abroad while not on a valid study permit which would likely be why you are being denied PGWP. Did you ever get a second study permit and if so when was it approved?

Yes, I studied 3 semesters online during covid. Under IRCC rule that you can study online after applying for study permit. Then for my Co-op 4th semester i Got entry to Canada with valid study permit and co-op permit. I completed final co-op and applied for PGWP from inside Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, I studied 3 semesters online during covid. Under IRCC rule that you can study online after applying for study permit. Then for my Co-op 4th semester i Got entry to Canada with valid study permit and co-op permit. I completed final co-op and applied for PGWP from inside Canada.
You didn’t have a valid study permit and hadn’t applied for a new study permit until your 3rd or 4th semester. You had to apply before starting the 1st semester for you to be able to study online and for the studies to count if the study permit got approved.

Gurinder1998

Nov 26, 2021
Punjab
Category........
STUDY
You didn’t have a valid study permit and hadn’t applied for a new study permit until your 3rd or 4th semester. You had to apply before starting the 1st semester for you to be able to study online and for the studies to count if the study permit got approved.
Yes, My study permit was approved. And during the time i applied for PGWP. I had a valid study permit. It was expired on 31 Dec 2023. And now i am out of Canada without study permit. Can i apply for PGWP with expired student visas from outside Canada. ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, And i applied it from inside Canada with Valid study permit and valid school documents after completion on my program. I applied on 26 Sept and after waiting for 5 months decided to come back on Jan 26 and got decision on Feb 21. I competed my program on 18 August.
Post letter for wording.

Gurinder1998

Nov 26, 2021
Punjab
Category........
STUDY
Thank you for your interest in working in Canada. After a careful review of your application and supporting documentation to extend your stay as a worker, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:
• You are no longer in Canada; therefore, you are deemed ineligible to apply to change conditions or to extend your stay from within Canada.
To get help with understanding your temporary resident application refusal and what you can do next, visit: https://www.cic.gc.ca/visit-visiter/en/refusal-visa-application. Next Steps:
• If you decide to apply again, know that: ○ your new application will be assessed on its own merits, ○ you must resubmit a new application and all relevant supporting documents and pay a new temporary resident application fee, and ○ your new application may be refused unless it is supported by new or different information that would satisfy the officer that you meet all application requirements. For additional information on next steps and legal references, you can visit: • Our online Help Centre https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1485 • The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-2.5/ • The Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-179.htm

This is what the refusal Letter say it simply states that my permit was rejected because I was out of Canada.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your interest in working in Canada. After a careful review of your application and supporting documentation to extend your stay as a worker, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:
• You are no longer in Canada; therefore, you are deemed ineligible to apply to change conditions or to extend your stay from within Canada.
To get help with understanding your temporary resident application refusal and what you can do next, visit: https://www.cic.gc.ca/visit-visiter/en/refusal-visa-application. Next Steps:
• If you decide to apply again, know that: ○ your new application will be assessed on its own merits, ○ you must resubmit a new application and all relevant supporting documents and pay a new temporary resident application fee, and ○ your new application may be refused unless it is supported by new or different information that would satisfy the officer that you meet all application requirements. For additional information on next steps and legal references, you can visit: • Our online Help Centre https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1485 • The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-2.5/ • The Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-179.htm

This is what the refusal Letter say it simply states that my permit was rejected because I was out of Canada.
When did you apply for your program? When did you start online studies? So more than half was online and out of the country? Dates are important because policies ended for online/outside Canada studies in 2022.

Did you apply for a PGWP or did you apply to extend your PGWP under the old policy? The issue now is that you no longer eligible for PGWP because you graduated more than 180 days ago. Assume your TRV expired too. You may want consult a lawyer. You may want to file for reconsideration showing proof you applied for a PGWP (and not extension) and could leave Canada (see link below).

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1309

Gurinder1998

Nov 26, 2021
Punjab
Category........
STUDY
i did all my online studies before 2022. It was from 2021 Jan to 2021 December. And then i started my 4th semester on May 2023 and completed in Sept 2023. I applied for PGWP on 26 sept 2023 and my study permit was valid. It expired on 31-dec-2023. I waited till January 26 and got letter from IRCC that my application has been transferred to etobicoke. The. i waited 1 more months and didn’t got any decision then, i left Canada on 3rd Feb and got decision on 21 Feb. After 5 months of wait

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
i did all my online studies before 2022. It was from 2021 Jan to 2021 December. And then i started my 4th semester on May 2023 and completed in Sept 2023. I applied for PGWP on 26 sept 2023 and my study permit was valid. It expired on 31-dec-2023. I waited till January 26 and got letter from IRCC that my application has been transferred to etobicoke. The. i waited 1 more months and didn’t got any decision then, i left Canada on 3rd Feb and got decision on 21 Feb. After 5 months of wait
So you were not eligible for a PGWP. Your studies must be continuous and you took a break of about 15 months.

Gurinder1998

Nov 26, 2021
Punjab
Category........
STUDY
it was IRCC’s fault they refused my application after 1 year and college asked me to apply for study permit again to complete 4th semester which included co-op. BTW, I first held a study permit from 2018-2020. Unfortunately due to some health issues i came back to India in mid of my program in year 2019 and then i underwent surgery i have all medical papers from Canadian Doctors and from Indian doctors.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
it was IRCC’s fault they refused my application after 1 year and college asked me to apply for study permit again to complete 4th semester which included co-op. BTW, I first held a study permit from 2018-2020. Unfortunately due to some health issues i came back to India in mid of my program in year 2019 and then i underwent surgery i have all medical papers from Canadian Doctors and from Indian doctors.
You said you studied in 2021 so what does surgery in 2019 have to do with anything. You were never eligible for a PGWP with such a gap. The college would have known that. Not IRCC’s fault. You can take up to a semester off with authorized leave from the college. I think you were rightly refused but contact an immigration lawyer for advice.