+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension Delay (September 2019)

UserX1995

Mar 28, 2020
This is real cruelty! It's taking more than 120 days right now and in this worst time, we can't even work! I was rejected twice by 2 employers giving me the reason that my study permit is expiring in less than 90 days. Also, I'm concerned about what the fate of my application is! In just 3 days I'll be in implied status and I'm so tensed about my application status. I really wish I could travel to my home country after the corona crisis and come back when the situation is safe. Without a valid study permit and a TRV, I don't know how I could do that! I applied on January first week. With people from November still in the pipeline of processing, I'm left clueless. I don't even know if the authorities are concerned about our situation.

Mik1994

Feb 23, 2020
This is real cruelty! It's taking more than 120 days right now and in this worst time, we can't even work! I was rejected twice by 2 employers giving me the reason that my study permit is expiring in less than 90 days. Also, I'm concerned about what the fate of my application is! In just 3 days I'll be in implied status and I'm so tensed about my application status. I really wish I could travel to my home country after the corona crisis and come back when the situation is safe. Without a valid study permit and a TRV, I don't know how I could do that! I applied on January first week. With people from November still in the pipeline of processing, I'm left clueless. I don't even know if the authorities are concerned about our situation.
Yeah I understand your frustration. Just some advice...Avoid travelling out of Canada when you're on implied status because once you leave the country you could lose your implied status. I had a friend who went to the US while on implied status and he wasn't allowed back into Canada. I've also known of people who were allowed back. So it's a bit of a dicey situation you could put yourself in if you did the same.

Ramandeeps4

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
Hi everyone,
Here’s the heads up, so they have stopped any work at immigration at this moment. It looks like they stopped at NOV 17 SP extension applications. My anticipation is that they will start processing again by mid April and we should start getting it after that. They do not care if you have personal plans, this is a health situation and they want to keep their department safe at this moment. If this takes more time, the immigration will make some special accommodations such as automatic SP extension or allowing students to apply for work permit in implied status. For now, ‘No’ you can not and should not apply for PGWP in your implied status.
Thanks!

Mik1994

Feb 23, 2020
Hi everyone,
Here’s the heads up, so they have stopped any work at immigration at this moment. It looks like they stopped at NOV 17 SP extension applications. My anticipation is that they will start processing again by mid April and we should start getting it after that. They do not care if you have personal plans, this is a health situation and they want to keep their department safe at this moment. If this takes more time, the immigration will make some special accommodations such as automatic SP extension or allowing students to apply for work permit in implied status. For now, ‘No’ you can not and should not apply for PGWP in your implied status.
Thanks!
Lol just missed it by a day. Though it doesn't matter a lot to me right now.

Mik1994

Feb 23, 2020
Hi everyone,
Thanks!
Did you contact IRCC through a web form?

UserX1995

Mar 28, 2020
I still don't understand why my study permit extension application is taking more than 4 months. I applied on November 23rd. I nearly gave up on life last night in my room because of this. I check my account like 2-3 times everyday. I can't focus on anything I do even for even 5 mins, just in pains and don't why this terrible delay.
Yep, same with me as well! I couldn't even get hired for a part-time. Rejected by Walmart and McDonalds stating that my study permit expires in less than 90 days. Unemployed, ran out of GIC, hit by the Corona crisis and got no option.

AKDHALIWAL

Star Member
Jan 31, 2020
Hello! Any update today? I sent enquiry through web form about processing of application and got answer that they forwarded my enquiry to the responsible office. Don’t know what they are doing and when we will get approval. In need to apply coop as well and it is going to start in May. I need new study permit for applying coop. Really very stressed.

someone0001

Mar 31, 2020
Hi!
Just to give an update for you.
Some days ago I saw the message here saying that they stopped reviewing the permits. This is not entirely true.
My study permit was approved (I applied for a new one).
Applied 15th November and it was approved yesterday.
I just received the e-mail update today.

Reactions: demme343

Mik1994

Feb 23, 2020
Hi!
Some days ago I saw the message here saying that they stopped reviewing the permits. This is not entirely true.
Ohh great news! Should expect mine soon then. I applied on the 18th of Nov

meister

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hi!
Extension?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Nothing has been stopped. Of course there are going to be big delays now because all the things IRCC has to deal with, working from home, people getting sick, probably a massive amount of people submitting inquiries etc.

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
My university said we should probably expect 6 months instead of 4.. we’ll see what happens. I applied on 12/12 so I am hoping to get it in the next 4 weeks before my current study permit expires.