+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension Approvals - Feb/March applicants

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
I had a query/confusion about the study permit extension process. My case is a little different. I'll break it down into points for an easier read:

- I came to Canada as a MEng student from a company sponsorship. I had worked in this company previously. Company-paid upfront for my MEng.
- When I came here, I found an advisor and switch to a thesis-based degree. This degree also had funding.
- I informed the company and they were fine with that choice. I am a shareholder in the company, so I have some leeway in what is considered acceptable.
- I finished my degree strongly. 3.9 GPA and several publications.
- I now want to do a PhD. I have funding for four years that covers living expenses and tuition + good bank balance.

Question: will study permit extension be a problem for me? Would VO wonder why I'm doing a PhD as in my initial study permit I said I will go home and work?

Immigration consultants at my school think I am way overthinking this and a study permit extension is a lot simpler then an overseas study permit application. I don't need to provide extensive documentation and just funding, bank statement and a simple SOP that says explains my academic journey will suffice.

I will appreciate some thoughts on this.

Last edited:

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
I had a query/confusion about the study permit extension process. My case is a little different. I'll break it down into points for an easier read:

- I came to Canada as a MEng student from a company sponsorship. I had worked in this company previously. Company-paid upfront for my MEng.
- When I came here, I found an advisor and switch to a thesis-based degree. This degree also had funding.
- I informed the company and they were fine with that choice. I am a shareholder in the company, so I have some leeway in what is considered acceptable.
- I finished my degree strongly. 3.9 GPA and several publications.
- I now want to do a PhD. I have funding for four years that covers living expenses and tuition + good bank balance.

Question: will study permit extension be a problem for me? Would VO wonder why I'm doing a PhD as in my initial study permit I said I will go home and work?

Immigration consultants at my school think I am way overthinking this and a study permit extension is a lot simpler then an overseas study permit application. I don't need to provide extensive documentation and just funding, bank statement and a simple SOP that says explains my academic journey will suffice.

I will appreciate some thoughts on this.
I think the immigration consultants at your school gave you very good advice. You deciding to do a PhD won't raise eyebrows. Unless there's some nefarious aspect of your story that you're not telling anyone?

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
I think the immigration consultants at your school gave you very good advice. You deciding to do a PhD won't raise eyebrows. Unless there's some nefarious aspect of your story that you're not telling anyone?
Not sure what you mean by nefarious? Could you expand on this?

My initial application was as follows
- I demonstrated the flow of funds from the sponsoring company all the way to my school via bank-statements and a receipt of payment
- I enclosed a job offer letter that talked about my responsibilities (all technical, not managerial) in the company
- A small amount of pay-slips as proof.
- I explained how my master's would help my career in this company
- I mentioned I will return to my county - but now I want to do a PhD and apply for a PR

Beyond this, I enclosed property documents, shareholdings, personal bank statements. I feel this was straightforward and transparent. My application was structured this way because I had a 7-year academic gap (though I worked in my field for the duration of those 7 years).

I guess, what I'm imagining is the VO thinking this while having his morning coffee: "hey, this guy had a job offer and was sponsored by a company for his master's. Why is he now seeking a PhD? Why did the company let him go?"

But from the conversation here and with the school's consultant it seems such scrutiny is not applied to extensions?

Last edited:

joinha

Aug 11, 2020
My friend applied on May 4. They started reviewing her eligibility today.
I applied on the same day...No updates for me

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
Hello - I had a question regarding the field of The Cost of My Studies in IMM5709. Did you guys put in the amount for 1 year or all the remaining years you have left in your program?

AstronomyNut

Jan 24, 2018
I applied for an extension on Saturday 10th October and received approval today. How can it be so fast? Was this an error?