+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit expires!!

aakash376

Aug 3, 2015
Hello,
My passport was going to expire in 1st January 2016. so, I got study permit til 1st December 2015 only. I am supposed to get study permit til june 2016. Now, i got my new renwed passport. So now what shall I do get my study permit after December? Please let me know.
Thanks..

morsy86

May 9, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
get a letter from your university saying that you're registered and your program will end on whatever date, then ask for a study permit extension to the mentioned date. it seems pretty straight forward unless i'm missing something

aakash376

Aug 3, 2015
I have just called to CIC and they said that you have to apply it as a new study permit.. I dont think so that is right...
m really confused now.

kkloveit

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That CIC agent gave you the wrong information which is weird. Maybe you didn't described your situation properly to the agent?

To answer your question, you only need to apply for an extension of your study permit. Your current study permit is a standalone document independent of your passport. However it would be best to write an explanation letter telling them you obtained a new passport hence the discrepancy in passport number. (Because you need to show them your visa stamps etc)