+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit expired when applied for PGWP

JMmoura

Sep 9, 2021
Hello people,

I am in the process of creating my account for the express entry, gathering documents and waiting for my french test results.
Today I was reading some things about pgwp and was surprised by one thing. The study permit expires 90 days after graduation or on the date it is written on it, whichever comes first.

Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of that (totally my fault, I know). I will tell you a bit about my case.

I graduated in August 2019 and left Canada to visit my familly for a month, thinking that my study permit would expire in the date marked on it (which would be on January 2020).
I knew I could apply for PGWP up to 180 after graduating, so I didn't bother about the time.
I came back to Canada and applied for PGWP on January, however, after applying and waiting for the answer, I found a Part-time job because I thought I could work while waiting for the PGWP.

The problem is, if my study permit expired 90 days after my graduation then I applied with a study permit expired and according to CIC I was not allowed to work until get an answer on the PGWP application. (I got 3 years PGWP one month after starting on my job).

How would this affect my application for PR?
Should I explain it on a letter, would the immigration consider it?
I swear it was an honest mistake

Does anyone has a take on this situation?

KarakiT

Jan 26, 2022
Hi, I have some questions to understand your situation better.
1. When did you complete your degree (exact date)?
2. When did you travel to your country back home and when did you come back to Canada (exact date)?
3. When did you apply for PGWP (exact date)?
4. When did you receive the acceptance of your PGWP (exact date)?
5. When did you start your work (exact date)?
6. When are planning to submit your PR application (estimated date)?
I know these are many questions, but I would love help if I know your case better.
Good luck!!

JMmoura

Sep 9, 2021
Hi, I have some questions to understand your situation better.
1. When did you complete your degree (exact date)?
2. When did you travel to your country back home and when did you come back to Canada (exact date)?
3. When did you apply for PGWP (exact date)?
4. When did you receive the acceptance of your PGWP (exact date)?
5. When did you start your work (exact date)?
6. When are planning to submit your PR application (estimated date)?
I know these are many questions, but I would love help if I know your case better.
Good luck!!
Sure, no problem

1. I Finished School in mid August, however, my graduation letter letter was issued on 19/09/2019 and my certificate was issued 22/10/2019
2. I don't know the exact date I traveled back but I definitely returned on 20/09/2019 (I have a stamp on my passport).
3. I applied on 11/01/2020
4. I received My PGWP on 05/04/2020
5. I started "working" on 01/03/2020 (It was orientation day, but I started getting paid from that day) and about two weeks later, the lockdown happened and we stopped working.
6. Beginning of February or March.

KarakiT

Jan 26, 2022
I see,
Didn't you receive any letter from the IRCC stating that you are eligible to work till they make a decision about your application?
Then, anyways you said that you already worked for a short period then covid came.
I think that is not gonna affect your case as long as you were approved for PGWP.
But, you need to be very careful about every single piece of information that you provide with your PR application, then you are good to go.
Good luck.