+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit: existing visa / switch institutions

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, I have a few questions on student permits/visas:

My stepson has an existing visitor's visa (valid for several years) and has been accepted to a Canadian university program.

1) I understand he still needs to apply for the study permit and we'll do this in due course. Does the existing TRV change anything? Will they likely just issue the study permit and leave the existing visa unchanged?

2) He will definitely study at a Canadian university, but not necessarily at the one he's been accepted to (other applications pending). The application requirements do not seem to require accepting a specific offer or for that to be finalised, but is there any issue if he applies on the basis of one acceptance letter but then arrives to study at another? Note, it's highly likely would be in the same province.

3) He is currently a minor but will not be by the time he begins studies. As far as I can tell, no special requirements for applying, and the requirements upon arrival (e.g. custodianship) won't apply to him then. Am I missing anything?

I see government says the process takes up to 90 days, I assume this is generally accurate. Comments welcome.