+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit during PR processing

Ultimategrey

Apr 27, 2021
Hi,

I got an invitation for my PR as Express entry steam on January. When I got an invitation, my score was 461 and the minimum score on the day was 454. And I submitted my application on March 9th. Also, I got AOR on March 10th. Currently, I am in Canada and working with closed work permit.

About 2 weeks ago, I got a Master program admission letter from university. But currently, with my visa which is closed work permit, I am not able to study as a full time student. For this reason, I need to apply study permit to start studying in September. I already found that I can apply the study permit during PR processing. But the problem is that if I apply the study permit and change my status with the study permit, I need to quit my job and my express entry score will decrease 50 points of arranged employment (LMIA 50 points). And this score is lower than the minimum score on the day I was invited (454). Therefore, I think it will impact negatively on my PR processing (Rejected or delayed). Of course, if I got Confirmation of Permanent Resident (COPR) before September, it won't be a problem. However, what if I won't get COPR before September, I need to have a study permit to go school. I really want to go school in coming Fall semester.

Please let me know you guys' opinions about my situation and give me advice.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi,

I got an invitation for my PR as Express entry steam on January. When I got an invitation, my score was 461 and the minimum score on the day was 454. And I submitted my application on March 9th. Also, I got AOR on March 10th. Currently, I am in Canada and working with closed work permit.

About 2 weeks ago, I got a Master program admission letter from university. But currently, with my visa which is closed work permit, I am not able to study as a full time student. For this reason, I need to apply study permit to start studying in September. I already found that I can apply the study permit during PR processing. But the problem is that if I apply the study permit and change my status with the study permit, I need to quit my job and my express entry score will decrease 50 points of arranged employment (LMIA 50 points). And this score is lower than the minimum score on the day I was invited (454). Therefore, I think it will impact negatively on my PR processing (Rejected or delayed). Of course, if I got Confirmation of Permanent Resident (COPR) before September, it won't be a problem. However, what if I won't get COPR before September, I need to have a study permit to go school. I really want to go school in coming Fall semester.

Please let me know you guys' opinions about my situation and give me advice.

Thank you.
I would defer Masters Degree program until i become landed immigrant. By the way, once you are Permanent Resident you pay tuition fee as Domestic Student. In my opinion, thats the best option

Ultimategrey

Apr 27, 2021
I would defer Masters Degree program until i become landed immigrant. By the way, once you are Permanent Resident you pay tuition fee as Domestic Student. In my opinion, thats the best option
You are right. Thank you for your advice.

Have a nice day :)

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
I was a student when I had an employer that wanted me to work more than 20 hours. I applied for (and got) a LMIA-backed work permit, which I held at the same time as my study permit.

It wasn't a problem. You can hold both.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
To clarify: you would need to apply for a study permit, not try to change your work permit into a study permit. The day you land, they take both permits, and they stamp both as cancelled in your passport.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
When I landed as an immigrant, I took the CoPR to the school, and they removed my international status and changed my tuition as well. It happened mid semester.

Ultimategrey

Apr 27, 2021
When I landed as an immigrant, I took the CoPR to the school, and they removed my international status and changed my tuition as well. It happened mid semester.
Hi,

You were in pretty much same condition as me! Did you start your studying as a part time program? For me, since the master program is full time course, I will not able to work at all. Even in this case, do you think I will be okay if I apply study permit?

Thank you.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
Did you start your studying as a part time program? For me, since the master program is full time course, I will not able to work at all. Even in this case, do you think I will be okay if I apply study permit?

Thank you.
Nope. It was full time. I was doing full time school, part time work for one company, and full-time "work" running a second company on the side.

Because my third job was US-based and telecommuting, it was not considered "work" subject to the 20 hour "work" limit with my study permit. The work permit allowed me to work more than 20 hours for the other company while also being a student.

Reactions: Ultimategrey

Ultimategrey

Apr 27, 2021
Nope. It was full time. I was doing full time school, part time work for one company, and full-time "work" running a second company on the side.

Because my third job was US-based and telecommuting, it was not considered "work" subject to the 20 hour "work" limit with my study permit. The work permit allowed me to work more than 20 hours for the other company while also being a student.
Thank you for your reply.

How did you do work and study as a full time at the same time?

My immigration consultant said that I have to work as a full time position (Over 30H per week) until I get COPR. So if I work full time job and study as a full time student, I will not have enough time.

Please let me know your opinion.

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Painfully. It helped that I dropped my course load from the 15 credit hours I had been doing to the minimum full-time 12 credit hours.
[/QUOTE]

You aren't allowed to work full-time and study full-time at the same time. The more recent work permit would have overruled the study permit.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
You aren't allowed to work full-time and study full-time at the same time. The more recent work permit would have overruled the study permit.
Yes, I am. I confirmed with the CBSA, and made it to PR just fine.

The study permit authorizes only up to 20 hours/full time during breaks. The work permit authorizes more. I only need one authorization in order to do a thing.