+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Changes 2014 Got Approved..

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
virtu said:
If a guy get a Study Permit and the classes start in September.
If the same guy goes to Canada in June.
Even if the classes start only in September, but he already hold a SP, he can work part-time since June?

I am thinking in this situation, because you can understand that if you hold a SP you will be able to work without a OCWP.

What you think guys?
No you can't because neither you will be attending your classes (you wont be a full-time student) nor you will be on official break (like Summer) from your institute.

So you won't be allow to work legally.

virtu

Star Member
Aug 29, 2013
usman_14pk said:
No you can't because neither you will be attending your classes (you wont be a full-time student) nor you will be on official break (like Summer) from your institute.
You are right, also CIC can request any document to the College to check if that student was attending to classes or attended. This a blank interpretation in the new rules, because if you hold a OCWP right now you can work full-time on breaks, but you previously had attended to classes.

In June, (probably) the OCWP will not be necessary anymore, just the SP. Probably CIC will publish in the future an Operational Bulletin clarifying it.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
virtu said:
In June, (probably) the OCWP will not be necessary anymore, just the SP. Probably CIC will publish in the future an Operational Bulletin clarifying it.
Check through this thread and you will see several links to gazette.gc.ca where what changes to the operational bulleting have been done AND when they come in effect.

ajsingh

Star Member
Aug 26, 2013
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney (Nova Scotia)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
14-12-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2017
that is a great news. thanks for updating

My process is going on for May-2014 session in UoWindsor... so guess I will only have to wait for one month to start off campus work (20 hrz /week)...

real struggle starts in june... :)

sharjeel91

Champion Member
Oct 2, 2013
App. Filed.......
09/09/2013
virtu said:
If a guy get a Study Permit and the classes start in September.
If the same guy goes to Canada in June.
Even if the classes start only in September, but he already hold a SP, he can work part-time since June?

I am thinking in this situation, because you can understand that if you hold a SP you will be able to work without a OCWP.

What you think guys?
well even if u have study permit u r not registered as student in any institution u only register when u appear and choose ur course and get ID card, so i think u cant BTW thats a great news, full four months work from june wow

virtu

Star Member
Aug 29, 2013
I think I am not writing good enough to you guys get my point =(
But it is ok. No problem.

I am trying to ask this:

a. Your classes at a post-secondary College start in September/2014 and you already been registered in courses and paid the tuition;
b. You arrive in Canada in June, 02 2014;
c. At POE, VO will give your SP since June, 02 2014 to (90+ days after the last day of class indicated in your Admission Letter) because you can show him the receipt of courses and other College's documents;
d. Now is my question: You already are considered a full-time student because (1) you already is admitted and (2) already have hold a valid SP, new rules said that if you hold a SP you can already work part-time, so in this situation is it ok to work?

Note that you already have everything that CIC wants and require, you just not started your classes and into the Gazzete link (I already read it) do not say that you must started your classes, just need to hold a SP as a Full-time student from a public post-secondary institution.

Sorry to bother you guys, but this question can help a lot of people.

Edit: Of course that VO can give you a SP from September, not from June, but if gives you a SP from June, you have all requirements. In my honest opinion I will not work until the classes start, but I can not see and read any rule that does not allow to work since you get your SP since June.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
virtu said:
d. Now is my question: You already are considered a full-time student because (1) you already is admitted and (2) already have hold a valid SP, new rules said that if you hold a SP you can already work part-time, so in this situation is it ok to work?
Again - NO!

Your classes START september 2014. If you land in June, that is irrelevant. June 2014 through august 2014 is NOT a scheduled break. You have to START classes first.

It's the same with your UHIP insurance. UHIP doesn't start until your studies start, even if you land in June.

virtu

Star Member
Aug 29, 2013
itstime said:
Again - NO!

Your classes START september 2014. If you land in June, that is irrelevant. June 2014 through august 2014 is NOT a scheduled break. You have to START classes first.

It's the same with your UHIP insurance. UHIP doesn't start until your studies start, even if you land in June.
Even if it is not a scheduled break you can work part-time, show me the official link and text that supports your afirmation that a international student that holds a SP since 1st of June will not be able to work, at least 20 hours per week, until their classes start.

From the gazzete link:

The Regulations also allow full-time students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution to work off-campus without a work permit. Off-campus work is allowed for up to 20 hours per week during the regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled academic breaks. This represents time and cost savings to students who no longer need to apply and pay for a separate work permit and for CIC, as officers will no longer process off-campus work permit applications. This amendment replaces the existing program design, which requires study permit holders to wait six months after beginning their program of study before applying separately for an off-campus work permit.

I can not find any regulations about the hiatus between your land holding a SP since your 1st day and classes start.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
virtu said:
I think I am not writing good enough to you guys get my point =(
But it is ok. No problem.
I am trying to ask this:
a. Your classes at a post-secondary College start in September/2014 and you already been registered in courses and paid the tuition;
b. You arrive in Canada in June, 02 2014;
c. At POE, VO will give your SP since June, 02 2014 to (90+ days after the last day of class indicated in your Admission Letter) because you can show him the receipt of courses and other College's documents;
Note that you already have everything that CIC wants and require, you just not started your classes and into the Gazzete link (I already read it) do not say that you must started your classes, just need to hold a SP as a Full-time student from a public post-secondary institution.
Sorry to bother you guys, but this question can help a lot of people.
Edit: Of course that VO can give you a SP from September, not from June, but if gives you a SP from June, you have all requirements. In my honest opinion I will not work until the classes start, but I can not see and read any rule that does not allow to work since you get your SP since June.
You would be violating the conditions of your study permit because you will actually not become a full time student until September when your classes start. Working illegally can have a significant negative impact on your future in Canada.
There are also many current cases of students trying to land more than a month before the start of their school and are being denied entry and are asked to return closer to the start of their classes. Once the new rules are implemented, I think they will be even more stricter with letting students enter the country before their school starts.

virtu

Star Member
Aug 29, 2013
txboyscout said:
You would be violating the conditions of your study permit because you will actually not become a full time student until September when your classes start. Working illegally can have a significant negative impact on your future in Canada.
There are also many current cases of students trying to land more than a month before the start of their school and are being denied entry and are asked to return closer to the start of their classes. Once the new rules are implemented, I think they will be even more stricter with letting students enter the country before their school starts.
Thanks.

Brazilians are getting success entering up to 2 months earlier in Canada, also, we are getting a lot of incentives to go to Canada, probably because mostly brazilians are spending a lot of money over there.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
virtu said:
Even if it is not a scheduled break you can work part-time, show me the official link and text that supports your afirmation that a international student that holds a SP since 1st of June will not be able to work, at least 20 hours per week, until their classes start.

From the gazzete link:

The Regulations also allow full-time students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution to work off-campus without a work permit. Off-campus work is allowed for up to 20 hours per week during the regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled academic breaks. This represents time and cost savings to students who no longer need to apply and pay for a separate work permit and for CIC, as officers will no longer process off-campus work permit applications. This amendment replaces the existing program design, which requires study permit holders to wait six months after beginning their program of study before applying separately for an off-campus work permit.

I can not find any regulations about the hiatus between your land holding a SP since your 1st day and classes start.
Read your own post again and pay attention to what I highlighted in red AND bold.

Ambitious15

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi,

First, Congrats for us all ! youuuuuuupppppppeeeeeeeeeeee :D ;) :)

but, do we have to apply for off campus work permit upon arrival ?

or wa can work with our study permit ? I'm coming in September 2014

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Ambitious15 said:
hi,

we will have to wait and see what the procedure is once this gets officially released. However from various unofficial post it seems that we may be able to work on our study permit but not sure till this gets officially released.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ambitious15 said:
hi,

From the way it was worded in the proposals

Study Permit = off campus work permit

You will need a SIN-number/card before you can apply for work.

Neez

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
virtu said:
That is not possible actually, you won't be able to register for courses until you're physically present at the university, usually registering for courses starts in the last week of August.
So even if you arrive in June, you're not officially a full-time student until you register and get your student ID.

In addition, I don't think that you'll be getting your TRV nor your study permit for June even if you apply earlier.