+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Changes 2014 Got Approved..

WaseemWasii

Mar 20, 2013
Hello EveryOne..

The long Awaited Study Permit Changes which were proposed on 29th Dec 2012 has been Approved and Coming in Effect From June 1, 2014.

Objectives

The overall objective of these amendments is to strengthen the integrity of Canada’s immigration program by explicitly requiring study permit holders to actively pursue their studies, reducing the number of non-genuine and poor quality educational institutions hosting study permit holders, and facilitating the entry into Canada of those foreign nationals that sincerely wish to obtain a Canadian education.

These objectives will be achieved through amendments to the Regulations that

limit issuance of study permits to students attending designated learning institutions, including those designated by a provincial/territorial ministry of education to host international students;

establish new study permit conditions requiring all students to enrol in and actively pursue a course or program of study after arrival in Canada;
provide exemptions to those whose primary purpose is not study, including family members and those foreign nationals already exempt from study permit fees, from the conditions on study permit holders;

provide an exemption from the requirement to obtain a study permit for foreign nationals who are registered Indians under Canada’s Indian Act;
allow issuance of removal orders by delegated officials in circumstances where students are not complying with their study permit conditions;
authorize temporary residents already in Canada to apply for a study permit from within Canada if they are studying at the preschool, primary or secondary level, are on an academic exchange or are a visiting student (see footnote 7) at a designated learning institution, or have completed a course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated learning institution;

limit access to international student work permit programs to eligible study permit holders attending a designated learning institution;
authorize full-time international students attending designated institutions to work part time during their studies provided they hold a valid study permit and are enrolled in an academic, vocational or professional training program of a duration of at least six months; and

re-focus work permit access for international students to better support the objective for which these programs were originally designed — providing international students with opportunities to gain valuable Canadian work experience, which will in turn help eligible students meet the requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada.

These Regulations offer greater protection to temporary residents by preventing foreign nationals from gaining admittance to Canada through an institution whose sole purpose is the facilitation of foreign nationals into Canada. These Regulations also provide more assurances to Canadians that temporary residents on a study permit will have a positive impact on Canadian society and the Canadian labour market by ensuring that foreign students are primarily in Canada for the purpose of study and are actively contributing to the economy through tuition and living expenses. These changes also bring Canada’s policies more closely in line with those of other countries, such as the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia.

Here is the Official Link ;)

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2014/2014-02-12/html/sor-dors14-eng.php

Neez

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, no more waiting for 6 months to get off-campus work permit.
That is really good news :)

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Awesome! I checked at 4 Am before I crashed and burned in bed (three huge assignments this week. 2 due yesterday and one tomorrow) and nothing was posted yet despite it being feb 12.

Finally it is official and we don't have to speculate WHEN they come in to effect anymore. Now it is time to speculate which institutions will be excluded and what the full changes will be, once they roll it out.

singh-ak

Sep 18, 2013
AWESOME ;D ;D ;D

But i am unable to find the link of institutes whose students will be benefited from this amendment :mad:

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's probably not going to post until June 1st when the rules take effect.

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
itstime said:
Awesome! I checked at 4 Am before I crashed and burned in bed (three huge assignments this week. 2 due yesterday and one tomorrow) and nothing was posted yet despite it being feb 12.

Finally it is official and we don't have to speculate WHEN they come in to effect anymore. Now it is time to speculate which institutions will be excluded and what the full changes will be, once they roll it out.
Now make sense?

I told you that there is connection between that BC govt. post and the changes implemented by federal govt.
Hurraahhhhhh :D :D

virtu

Star Member
Aug 29, 2013
I think that CIC already updated their website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
usman_14pk said:
Now make sense?

I told you that there is connection between that BC govt. post and the changes implemented by federal govt.
No you didn't.

What I was saying was that what you posted was NOT FROM CIC which is a HUGE difference from BC govt. HUGE!

Now it has been posted so NOW it is official. I don't give sh*t what Tom Dick and Harry says before I read it from THE official source.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
virtu said:
I think that CIC already updated their website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

Bottom of the page has the following

Date Modified: 2012-07-25

Already updated? I don't think so.

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
itstime said:
No you didn't.

What I was saying was that what you posted was NOT FROM CIC which is a HUGE difference from BC govt. HUGE!

Now it has been posted so NOW it is official. I don't give sh*t what Tom Dick and Harry says before I read it from THE official source.
BC govt. is writing a statement that "in response of the changes by federal govt.", that means federal govt. made some changes no matter what.
Anyhow, it's here now.

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And they wrote that without supplying a source that could be checked, i.e. not official in my opinion.

virtu

Star Member
Aug 29, 2013
itstime said:
Bottom of the page has the following

Date Modified: 2012-07-25

Already updated? I don't think so.
Try to find the SIX months rules into the text. I use the SEARCH function and did not find anymore.

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
CIC site has updated the info. about WORK OFF CAMPUS.
They have removed the text about "wait for six months".

Now it is only:

"To work off campus, you must apply for a work permit. Do not begin to work off campus until you have received your work permit. The work permit authorizes you to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and full time during scheduled breaks (for example, winter and summer holidays, and spring break)."