+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Changed in May 2021. It is right in the first paragraph. Actively studying means you must attend the school on your study permit (Semester or year). IRCC has decided to close the loop hole where students get admission to a university (expensive) and then come to Canada and change to a college program (cheaper). You can search the forum and see students who haven’t been able to change their permits once in Canada and had to apply for a new ones.

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:
  • enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI) and
  • actively studying while you’re in Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html
Hi @Naturgrl,

Let us step back a bit and review the specific case that this issued was tied to.

1. Applicant used DLI ‘A’ to get her Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

2. Applicant now wants to switch to DLI ‘B’ before boarding her flight to Canada.

3. The TRV allows applicant to fly into and reside in Canada. It does not allow or permit her to study.

4. Applicant will be issued a study permit at the Canadian border based on the LOA she presents to the CBSA officer.

5. If she presents LOA from DLI ‘A’ she will be issued a study permit accordingly, and if she presents LOA from DLI ‘B’ she will be issued a study permit accordingly.

6. She may be asked why she has chosen to change the DLI before coming into Canada, her response can be ‘it is more suited to my career goals and prospective offers back in my home country’ and not ‘because it is a cheaper school’.

7. No CBSA officer will ask her to go and apply for another study permit, because she does not even have one in the first place, she only has a TRV.

This has been done for 1 of my clients in the past.

Again, nobody here is a CBSA officer we just sharing our experiences perhaps it may help or encourage others. Anyone using information here must do their own research and due diligence.

But immigration issues are never black and white. In my 7-8 years of doing this, I have applied for people who I felt would not be approved, and I told them before hand, and we were all shocked they got approval. I have applied for people with excellent travel history, more than sufficient funds, whom I thought their cases were a slam dunk, only for them to be refused. So it’s not always black and white, the officers have some room to show discretion outside of the rules.

All the best.

Omofar

Last edited:
Reactions: DesiPikachu

Salami83

Nov 16, 2021
@Omofar
incase of police report which of the 2 countries police report I will present my country of citizenship or UAE where I live and work currently

Thank

ItsCrazyOutHere

Feb 13, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Nairobi
App. Filed.......
23-08-21
Med's Request
15-10-21
Med's Done....
26-07-22
Hi @Salami83,

I believe @Simba112, has addressed this question. You are to present the police clearance certificate of where you currently reside.

All the best.

Omofar
HI, @Omofar .

I have a little dilemma. I got the request to get my medicals done on the 15th of October. On the 20th I began, but in the course of doing it, I was recommended to do a sputum test due to a history of tuberculosis when I was much, much younger. The issue is the test apparently takes 8 weeks to produce a result.

My medicals were completed entirely on Oct the 27th and it's been over 22 days. Is it odd that my "Review of Medical Results" section hasn't been updated to affirm the receipt of my medicals? Should I expect things to stay this way until the tuberculosis certificate is uploaded and I'm cleared? Please help me however you can.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi @Naturgrl,

Let us step back a bit and review the specific case that this issued was tied to.

1. Applicant used DLI ‘A’ to get her Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

2. Applicant now wants to switch to DLI ‘B’ before boarding her flight to Canada.

3. The TRV allows applicant to fly into and reside in Canada. It does not allow or permit her to study.

4. Applicant will be issued a study permit at the Canadian border based on the LOA she presents to the CBSA officer.

5. If she presents LOA from DLI ‘A’ she will be issued a study permit accordingly, and if she presents LOA from DLI ‘B’ she will be issued a study permit accordingly.

6. She may be asked why she has chosen to change the DLI before coming into Canada, her response can be ‘it is more suited to my career goals and prospective offers back in my home country’ and not ‘because it is a cheaper school’.

7. No CBSA officer will ask her to go and apply for another study permit, because she does not even have one in the first place, she only has a TRV.

This has been done for 1 of my clients in the past.

Again, nobody here is a CBSA officer we just sharing our experiences perhaps it may help or encourage others. Anyone using information here must do their own research and due diligence.

But immigration issues are never black and white. In my 7-8 years of doing this, I have applied for people who I felt would not be approved, and I told them before hand, and we were all shocked they got approval. I have applied for people with excellent travel history, more than sufficient funds, whom I thought their cases were a slam dunk, only for them to be refused. So it’s not always black and white, the officers have some room to show discretion outside of the rules.

All the best.

Omofar
I understood this scenerio...

1-4: No comment, narration is correct
5: If Applicant present DLI A which she used to get TRV Approved, she will be issued SP for DLI provided there is no gap in 150days rule
5(b): If she Present DLI B which is not on CIC Case Management System Portal, she will be questioned as per the changes of the guidelines. Two things can happen, she might be denied Study Permit and Allowed entry to Canada provided she has valid TRV and asked to reapply with DLI B or CBSA May issue SP and put a note. This may have implication in PGWP Application or SP Extension. If officer is strict and want to enforce rule, Officer can deny entry. Again its up to the CBSA on how Officer want to enforce the rule, but i would take no chance or play Russia Roulette

6. This could be explanation but we are not suggesting it to the satisfaction of the CBSA. Question is did she do it right or wrong
7. This is correct. But as explained on 5, her TRV is S-1 and not V-1. Though they all for travel not for Study, S-1 will be attached to SP though of recent they are phasing out S-1 to V-1 especially for PGWP and all extension. Depending on the Applicant explanation, CBSA may or maynot assist Applicant on what need to be done.

Salami83

Nov 16, 2021
Pls house when feeling online study permit under national identity documents can I use my Nigeria drivers license.
Ur respond is vital

Thanks

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Pls house when feeling online study permit under national identity documents can I use my Nigeria drivers license.
Ur respond is vital

Thanks
I dont think you can use drivers licence, and i am not aware of Nigeria Identification Requirement. I guess passport is enough or if there is Citizen ID then fill it under National Identity

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Omofar pls how true is this someone said residence of UAE doesn't need medical examination for study permit

Thanks
Hi,

I am sorry, but I do not have an answer to this query. You may have to verify and confirm with the embassy directly, if possible.

Cheers.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI, @Omofar .

I have a little dilemma. I got the request to get my medicals done on the 15th of October. On the 20th I began, but in the course of doing it, I was recommended to do a sputum test due to a history of tuberculosis when I was much, much younger. The issue is the test apparently takes 8 weeks to produce a result.

My medicals were completed entirely on Oct the 27th and it's been over 22 days. Is it odd that my "Review of Medical Results" section hasn't been updated to affirm the receipt of my medicals? Should I expect things to stay this way until the tuberculosis certificate is uploaded and I'm cleared? Please help me however you can.
Hi,

I am afraid I am not in possible to tell you the situation with a potentially positive TB test. I have been told in the past that if your test is not good the clinic will usually give you a ring. Kindly get in touch with the panel physician that did your tests, and speak with them.

All the best.

Omofar

ItsCrazyOutHere

Feb 13, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Nairobi
App. Filed.......
23-08-21
Med's Request
15-10-21
Med's Done....
26-07-22
Hi,

I am afraid I am not in possible to tell you the situation with a potentially positive TB test. I have been told in the past that if your test is not good the clinic will usually give you a ring. Kindly get in touch with the panel physician that did your tests, and speak with them.

All the best.

Omofar
HI, @Omofar . Perhaps, I wasn't clear enough. I am not potentially positive. I did have tuberculosis in 2016, but not only was it caught on time and cleared within 4-6 months, I took a follow up test that confirmed my latency, and I've been on meds that keep it latent.

The sputum test was implied to be protocol and it was recommended to whoever confirmed they had a history of tuberculosis or people who had spent time around anyone who did.

What I'd like to know is if I should expect my medicals section to be updated in the same one month timeline others typically have experienced, or if I should expect it only when the sputum test is out. Since I was asked to get my medicals done, it's said, "We have requested for your medicals."

Edit: So yesterday evening I got a message asking for additional medical assessment. The panel physician told me on the day of my medical that since I disclosed my history of tuberculosis, I would likely be asked to get a sputum test done. Instead of waiting for the prompt, he opined I get it done alongside my regular medicals. I'm guessing the prompt for the sputum test was what I got yesterday, but I still don't know if my medicals will reflect on my page anytime soon, or I'll have to wait till the sputum test results are out. I apologize if this is discombobulating.

Salami83

Nov 16, 2021
I dont think you can use drivers licence, and i am not aware of Nigeria Identification Requirement. I guess passport is enough or if there is Citizen ID then fill it under National Identity
[/
National Identity Document
Question 1
Check Yes or No to tell us if you have a national identity document.

Question 2
Enter your national identity document number exactly as shown on the document.

Question 3
From the list, select the name of the country or territory that issued your national identity document.

Question 4
Enter the date your national identity document was issued.

Question 5
Enter the date your national identity document will expire.

Though I can click on No as am option
Thanks

Samuel 1012

Nov 19, 2021
Hello Sir, I would like to inquire on the possibility of a successful student visa processing, if I stand as my sponsor. I have already paid for my first semester tuition fee and have about 3m