+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What is the new rule? I would like to see where it's written.

There is no rule preventing you from changing your DLI once you are in Canada. However, if you decline your admission to the school for which you were given the approval (LOI), before you come into Canada, that's where you will have a problem. in that case, you must apply for a new SP. If you come into Canada and you are given your SP at the airport, nothing stops you from registering for courses in a different DLI. You don't even need IRCC's permission to do that. All you need to do (and you must do this) is to go online - Google changing my DLI, you will see the link, through which to notifying IRCC that you are attending another DLI. SP is not tied to any particular DLI, even if the two-digit code of the province of the initial DLI may be printed on it; it can be used anywhere.

Having said that, and I assume that is the so-called "new rules", if your program at the DLI of your preference is not starting within 150 days of obtaining your study permit, you must apply to IRCC to change your status to a visitor in Canada or leave Canada to return at a later date.

I hope this is clear to all.
Changed in May 2021. It is right in the first paragraph. Actively studying means you must attend the school on your study permit (Semester or year). IRCC has decided to close the loop hole where students get admission to a university (expensive) and then come to Canada and change to a college program (cheaper). You can search the forum and see students who haven’t been able to change their permits once in Canada and had to apply for a new ones.

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:
  • enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI) and
  • actively studying while you’re in Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Ade60

Oct 28, 2021
Good day everyone.

Thank you for the other time. I finally received my ppr today. Am I to submit my passport or send it through dhl myself, has I saw somthing similar in an earlier quote.

Thank you for your response.

Reactions: Rodiat Yusuf

Alwayssuccessful!

Star Member
Jul 13, 2019
Changed in May 2021. It is right in the first paragraph. Actively studying means you must attend the school on your study permit (Semester or year). IRCC has decided to close the loop hole where students get admission to a university (expensive) and then come to Canada and change to a college program (cheaper). You can search the forum and see students who haven’t been able to change their permits once in Canada and had to apply for a new ones.

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:
  • enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI) and
  • actively studying while you’re in Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html
This rule is not new. It was only modified in June of this year.

Don't read too much into this. What is required is that you are registered for courses at a DLI to be actively studying. The only obligation remains notifying IRCC that you are changing your DLI, if you are already in Canada. It's a different thing if you are outside of Canada and yet to receive your study permit. I know of somewhere who recently changed from a university to a college as DLI. All she did was to notify IRCC. Two months later, she applied for co-op work permit for her program at the college, attaching evidence of course registration at the new DLI and it was approved by IRCC.

The link you just sent was only modified slightly last summer. It has always been there, and it doesn't bar you from changing your DLI, if you are actively enrolled at the new DLI.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
This rule is not new. It was only modified in June of this year.

Don't read too much into this. What is required is that you are registered for courses at a DLI to be actively studying. The only obligation remains notifying IRCC that you are changing your DLI, if you are already in Canada. It's a different thing if you are outside of Canada and yet to receive your study permit. I know of somewhere who recently changed from a university to a college as DLI. All she did was to notify IRCC. Two months later, she applied for co-op work permit for her program at the college, attaching evidence of course registration at the new DLI and it was approved by IRCC.

The link you just sent was only modified slightly last summer. It has always been there, and it doesn't bar you from changing your DLI, if you are actively enrolled at the new DLI.
I like how you choose to interprete this guidelines and when you say “dont read too much into this”. Two bullets are crystal clear, enrolled and actively studying… actively studying was what ammendment meant for. The point is, no one want to go all the way and get refused pgwp, its a waste of time and money by not following this from day1. But its totally up to individual applicant to decide whether to follow or not to….

Narcissus21

Sep 4, 2021
Good day everyone.

Thank you for the other time. I finally received my ppr today. Am I to submit my passport or send it through dhl myself, has I saw somthing similar in an earlier quote.

Thank you for your response.
Congratulations! Did you get a medical request? Or you just submitted it? Congratulations again.

Kate_1435

Nov 10, 2021
Hello all, I’m not sure if this is the right thread but my friend submitted study permit applications for her 2 kids who are currently Nigeria. The application was submitted on May 2021 and they received the biometrics collection letter a month after. Application status shows that the biometrics was received on July.

After that, she didn’t any further updates. Is there any way she can contact the visa office in Lagos, Nigeria other than sending the webform? It’s been 4 months now and there’s still no update.

Salami83

Nov 16, 2021
Good day
For Biometric appointments what are the documents to go with if someone apply online. Also will the documents be both original and scan copy.
Need an answer please

Salami83

Nov 16, 2021
For someone who is a Nigerian but living and working legally in United Arab Emirates where can you advice such person to apply for study permit UAE or Nigeria.
Ur positive response it vital
Thanks