+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Zoe44

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
Very true. I know of someone who recently received a correspondence letter denoting rejection within a very very very short period after he submitted an application..And his refusal letter came in from China.
This is so true, my refusal came from china too

• Sad
Reactions: Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All (Story Time!), :);)

I hope well. Many of you may have been wondering why you do not get a lot of communication from me on this thread as I used to do when I started this thread over a year ago. Well the reason is not far fetched, in recent times, the Canadian study permit application process has been less than transparent and forthright with international students; particularly Nigerian applicants. I personally have lost any enthusiasm for the process and not keen on putting in applications for hard working people who struggled to get offers of admission, pay their tuition, show adequate funding and intention to return to their home countries only to be refused by some VO who is either inexperienced and having significant knowledge gap in carrying out their duties, or an experienced one who holds stereotypical bias against Nigerian applicants, or a quota system that is driven by greed. That is encouraging people to keep applying when you already know that you will be refusing their applications, but you will still hold onto the application fees. 12,000 applications X $235CAD = $2,820,000 a year, not counting the number of re-applications, and that is just from Nigerian applicants alone. The body language now appears to be study at a Canadian institution, pay your fees, but study from your own country. Who is foolish enough to buy into such BS?! :mad::mad:

Anyways, here is my advise to everyone, 2020 is rounding up, do not spend your whole life chasing the Canadian dream, if it works out fine, it it does not, its still fine! Begin to consider alternative destinations. If Canada does not want your money consider other nice countries that will! I have a client whom I met on this thread, she contacted me and asked for assistance after her initial refusal. Despite all the efforts, repackaging and all we did her application was refused, Then she decided she was no longer interested in Canada. She demanded her refund from the College and looked elsewhere. Firstly, she applied to US and Germany casually for holidays to take a break from the nonsense Canadian study permit application process that has stressed her out. She got both, despite being denied a Canadian study permit. She then put in a UK visitor visa as well and she got it. She got study offers in the UK and Sweden for direct Masters (not the post-grad certificate Canadian colleges were offering). She has now resumed her lectures in Sweden where there is no irrational fear of COVID-19, where people are living their lives normal and classes are being held both online and in-person. She is having a great time, meeting new people, learning new things and guess what? She got a full scholarship for her program. Now she has all that money she would have spent on Canadian tuition to herself to flex and enjoy. So there you have it.

Again, we should not allow Canada or the IRCC to disrespect us when it is our own money we are paying for studies. If your application is refused, you too refuse them, and look elsewhere. Canadian study permit process is probably the most complicated and hardest in the world, if you use the experience gained to consider and apply to other places, you are likely to get your visa approved sharply. Don't waste your time begging and pleading for their study permit, adapt, look elsewhere, go and learn German and you can go and school there for free or very little tuition, Belgium is also a nice place. The rush for Canada has made them too pompous, furthermore, their economy cannot handle the impact the large inflow of international students. You can even consider countries in Africa like South Africa and Namibia, where the quality of education is still much better than Naija and you can use the qualification gained to find opportunities elsewhere.

I wish you all the very best.

Omofar.

Royality

Star Member
May 28, 2020

I hope well. Many of you may have been wondering why you do not get a lot of communication from me on this thread as I used to do when I started this thread over a year ago. Well the reason is not far fetched, in recent times, the Canadian study permit application process has been less than transparent and forthright with international students; particularly Nigerian applicants. I personally have lost any enthusiasm for the process and not keen on putting in applications for hard working people who struggled to get offers of admission, pay their tuition, show adequate funding and intention to return to their home countries only to be refused by some VO who is either inexperienced and having significant knowledge gap in carrying out their duties, or an experienced one who holds stereotypical bias against Nigerian applicants, or a quota system that is driven by greed. That is encouraging people to keep applying when you already know that you will be refusing their applications, but you will still hold onto the application fees. 12,000 applications X $235CAD = $2,820,000 a year, not counting the number of re-applications, and that is just from Nigerian applicants alone. The body language now appears to be study at a Canadian institution, pay your fees, but study from your own country. Who is foolish enough to buy into such BS?! :mad::mad:

Anyways, here is my advise to everyone, 2020 is rounding up, do not spend your whole life chasing the Canadian dream, if it works out fine, it it does not, its still fine! Begin to consider alternative destinations. If Canada does not want your money consider other nice countries that will! I have a client whom I met on this thread, she contacted me and asked for assistance after her initial refusal. Despite all the efforts, repackaging and all we did her application was refused, Then she decided she was no longer interested in Canada. She demanded her refund from the College and looked elsewhere. Firstly, she applied to US and Germany casually for holidays to take a break from the nonsense Canadian study permit application process that has stressed her out. She got both, despite being denied a Canadian study permit. She then put in a UK visitor visa as well and she got it. She got study offers in the UK and Sweden for direct Masters (not the post-grad certificate Canadian colleges were offering). She has now resumed her lectures in Sweden where there is no irrational fear of COVID-19, where people are living their lives normal and classes are being held both online and in-person. She is having a great time, meeting new people, learning new things and guess what? She got a full scholarship for her program. Now she has all that money she would have spent on Canadian tuition to herself to flex and enjoy. So there you have it.

Again, we should not allow Canada or the IRCC to disrespect us when it is our own money we are paying for studies. If your application is refused, you too refuse them, and look elsewhere. Canadian study permit process is probably the most complicated and hardest in the world, if you use the experience gained to consider and apply to other places, you are likely to get your visa approved sharply. Don't waste your time begging and pleading for their study permit, adapt, look elsewhere, go and learn German and you can go and school there for free or very little tuition, Belgium is also a nice place. The rush for Canada has made them too pompous, furthermore, their economy cannot handle the impact the large inflow of international students. You can even consider countries in Africa like South Africa and Namibia, where the quality of education is still much better than Naija and you can use the qualification gained to find opportunities elsewhere.

Omofar.
Well said!!!

John Louis

Star Member
Sep 22, 2020

Omofar.
Nice piece and quite uplifting. The Ca study visa process has been quite daunting with no end in sight.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Omofar. That's nice. And you know, I have also been refused by Canada even providing everything and got admitted into the University of Alberta. But Canadians have become so nasty and mean that they are humiliating their own high ranked universities too. Then I applied to some UK universities and got offer letter from two and others are under process. I have already decided that I will try for the UK and already started my visa related process. So, whoever is reading this post, I would request you to look for other destinations. Please don't limit yourself. There is a Nigerian girl who makes great videos on UK study-related issues, you can check that too. Thank you all.
Hello Bond 007,

Bros, you have sense. I can bet all my savings that the idiotic VO does not know what it means or takes to get into the University of Alberta for masters degree or any degree for that matter. I can bet the VO went to some ramshackle college and his jealous or bitter or both that a Nigerian can aspire to attain what he/she never dreamed of.

Bro you have taken the right decision, go to the UK, you will do well there especially after with the exit of Britain from the EU. I wish you all the best.

Cheers.

Omofar

Reactions: Pee2Jay9 and Zoe44

rayusuf

Aug 14, 2020
Pls house what does this mean?
counterfoil request: YES?
it means visa sticker required to be affix in your passport. There are countries who may not require it. It is part of VO assessment portion to be filled. It does not mean you are approved for a study permit.You can share your Gcms note for proper analysis if you have one. Most important, check the VO view under 'Notes' towards the last pages of your Gcms note.

LEGE MYCO

Jul 25, 2020
I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
How can I overcome is single reason please I need your advice.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in
subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.
How can I overcome is single reason please I need your advice.
Hi,

By having more personal assets and increasing your financial status especially.

Cheers.

Omofar

Tete

Jun 26, 2017
Egypt
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
23-06-2020
Passport Req..
20-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
19-11-2020

Omofar.
Thank you for sharing @Omofar. Even though I'm not from Nigeria, I can understand the distress of getting rejected because you're from somewhere you didn't choose to be born in. They also have high rejection rates for Pakistani and Algerian students, not just Nigerian. I also think they do have a discriminatory approach in granting visas and permits. Generally, anyone from the middle east or Africa is undesired. This may also be because of former international students from these countries that caused trouble and overstayed after they completed their studies, take a look at this.

Priscaajeka

Sep 26, 2020
@Omofar been following ur forum and i won't lie, been demoralized. I want to apply for a nursing accelerated program in Canada. I have a bsc and msc in physiology and i don't know if my msc can be used in combination with the bsc to apply.
Will having an msc and applying for an undergraduate degree negatively affect my visa approval? Or should I go for a masters and maybe later go for the nursing degree I desire. I'm so confused.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Omofar been following ur forum and i won't lie, been demoralized. I want to apply for a nursing accelerated program in Canada. I have a bsc and msc in physiology and i don't know if my msc can be used in combination with the bsc to apply.
Will having an msc and applying for an undergraduate degree negatively affect my visa approval? Or should I go for a masters and maybe later go for the nursing degree I desire. I'm so confused.
Hello Priscaajeka,

While, I emphatize with your situation, there's not much I can do to control how the unfortunate truth about the Canadian SP application process makes you feel. It's just the bitter truth. If you read my opening post to the thread I am only here to tell people the honest truth and nothing more. I am afraid I even have more bad news for your own situation. Don't bother applying, consider other countries, that is my honest opinion.

The only justifiable way forward (not guaranteed) is for you to apply for a PhD position.

Cheers.

Omofar

Last edited:

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for sharing @Omofar. Even though I'm not from Nigeria, I can understand the distress of getting rejected because you're from somewhere you didn't choose to be born in. They also have high rejection rates for Pakistani and Algerian students, not just Nigerian. I also think they do have a discriminatory approach in granting visas and permits. Generally, anyone from the middle east or Africa is undesired. This may also be because of former international students from these countries that caused trouble and overstayed after they completed their studies, take a look at this.
Hello Tete,

Thanks for the info. I am aware of everything you said and it still does not make any sense to me that the IRCC holds such a ridiculously contradictory position. I have addressed such issues already on this thread.

1. It is discriminatory and racists to use the actions of others to judge someone else. That is the very definition of stereotypical bias.

2. If Canada does not want international students becoming permanent residents, then why put a route/policy in place that allows international student legally transition into settled immigrants? Furthermore, why is Canada shouting everyday that they want more and more immigrants to help Canada grow, but keep refusing international students application arbitrarily?‍

3. Again, no one is idiotic enough to state in their application explicitly their dual intentions, I have never seen such a person. So if the IRCC has set the requirements for meeting a study permit approval and the applicant meets or exceeds it, then that should be the only consideration. How do they evaluate an abstract thing such as intention to settle or return, have they become mind readers?‍

4. They should assess all international students based on the logic and facts presented in their application, not on whimsical, abstract or stereotypical biases associated with such applicant's background of origin.

5. If they no longer want international applicants, or if their economy can no longer handle the mass inflow of immigrants (which is more likely to be the case in my own opinion) they should let applicants know so they stop applying, and not trying to get people's hard earned money and ask them to stay back in their countries and study online..

Cheers

Omofar