+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Safaamed

Aug 21, 2019
Helo Xamwixe,

It will be very hard. However, nothing is impossible. Try the masters, meet all other criteria required, and hope for the best.

Omofar
Hi. I know it’s says Challenges for Nigerian application but I’m from an Africain country and assumed it’s pretty much the same thing. Here’s my situation. I did 3 years of university in Canada and I came back this summer (June 3rd) to renew my national passport and my student permit had expired by then. I submit my first application on June 24th and it got refused on August 26th based on reason of visiting and family ties. I didn’t order CAIPs and I reapplied clarifying the issues in my explication letter. And highly that I only wanted to go back to finish my last year because I already spend close to 30k on school and without a degree I’ll be hard for me to get a proper job based on my knowledge. So I submit my 2nd application on September 20th. Didn’t need medical exam (or they never ask for) since I did 5 years in Canada and haven’t stay in any country over 6months and already did Biometric on my first application.
My eligibility started on October 16th and I received a correspondence letter on October 24th.
Now I’m stressed because my processing time is over (5 weeks) and I haven’t got any update since and I don’t know what to do.
If you could please tell me what to expect or any information that’ll be very appreciate.
Thank you.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your reply....what are the factors that might be an hindrance, so I can double check while applying
Hello Xamwixe,

I hope well. Please note that you are reluctant to do proper research before putting in your application, you are setting yourself up to an unfortunate situation. Please go through this thread and look for all my GIS posts, read and assimilate them, this will provide all the information you need. It is not judicious use of my time to keep on repeating myself with regard to this same matter.

All the best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi. I know it’s says Challenges for Nigerian application but I’m from an Africain country and assumed it’s pretty much the same thing. Here’s my situation. I did 3 years of university in Canada and I came back this summer (June 3rd) to renew my national passport and my student permit had expired by then. I submit my first application on June 24th and it got refused on August 26th based on reason of visiting and family ties. I didn’t order CAIPs and I reapplied clarifying the issues in my explication letter. And highly that I only wanted to go back to finish my last year because I already spend close to 30k on school and without a degree I’ll be hard for me to get a proper job based on my knowledge. So I submit my 2nd application on September 20th. Didn’t need medical exam (or they never ask for) since I did 5 years in Canada and haven’t stay in any country over 6months and already did Biometric on my first application.
My eligibility started on October 16th and I received a correspondence letter on October 24th.
Now I’m stressed because my processing time is over (5 weeks) and I haven’t got any update since and I don’t know what to do.
If you could please tell me what to expect or any information that’ll be very appreciate.
Thank you.
Hello Safaamed,

I am sorry to hear about your circumstances. It is a difficult one. Most countries have embassies in Canada, why did not renew your passport from your country's embassy. I also mentioned this in a fairly recent post. Your TRP (temporary residence permit) and the study permit are two different documents. TRp allows you to live in Canada and allows you also travel back and forth between Canada and your home country, while study permit allows you to study. Now, this is where I think your problem may have come from. Your TRP/TRV is usually linked to the length of your passport, while a study permit is linked to the length of your studies. It would appear that for whatever reason both became expired and you traveled back home. Now that is a big no-no. And unfortunately, there not much that can be done about it. You also you stated that you have spent 5 years in Canada and you are yet to get your degree, how is that possible. Unless you are doing a Masters. The VO may not take your application seriously. He/She would consider what you were doing for 5 years without getting your degree. Finally, what kind of program are you doing in Canada that will charge you $30kCAD for the entire 5 years of undergraduate study? In my opinion, based on the limited info you have provided here along with the circumstances outlined above, I am not confident that you will get your permit.

Perhaps try to recruit an immigration lawyer that will take up your case.

All the best.

Omofar

Safaamed

Aug 21, 2019
Hi,
Sorry I didn’t explain myself properly. So I did grade 11 and 12 of high school their and only did 3 years of university. At first, I went to Canada as a refugee but then my application got rejected in 2017 and they ask me to leave the country. At that point only did grade 11,12 and one year of university. Came back home, made a strong case and applied for a student permit to go back as an international student. Lucky me, I got my student permit August 2017 and I went back to finish my studies. I don’t know what’s the TRP, I just had a visa (I’m guessing that’s the TRP) and à student permit. Now, the reason why I couldn’t renew my passport outside my country is because we don’t have an embassy in Canada and the near one is in US but that’s where I made my refugee claimant and i enter Canada from the US so I was scare to go there.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
Sorry I didn’t explain myself properly. So I did grade 11 and 12 of high school their and only did 3 years of university. At first, I went to Canada as a refugee but then my application got rejected in 2017 and they ask me to leave the country. At that point only did grade 11,12 and one year of university. Came back home, made a strong case and applied for a student permit to go back as an international student. Lucky me, I got my student permit August 2017 and I went back to finish my studies. I don’t know what’s the TRP, I just had a visa (I’m guessing that’s the TRP) and à student permit. Now, the reason why I couldn’t renew my passport outside my country is because we don’t have an embassy in Canada and the near one is in US but that’s where I made my refugee claimant and i enter Canada from the US so I was scare to go there.
Hello Bro,

Your case is now clear to me, and its an unfortunate one. I am not an immigration lawyer, unfortunately. You had previously claimed asylum (By doing this, you have shown intent to migrate to Canada) for whatever reason. Now you applied for a study permit (Non-immigrant visa), where there should have been no intent to migrate. Unfortunately, you had to return to your country to sort out your passport issues etc. The VO will review your case and feel that you have shown intent NOT to return to your home country in the past by applying for asylum, now you want to renew your study permit. Unfortunately, that becomes a conflict of intents. The VO may feel which one are you, an intending migrant or just international student. Furthermore, the fact that you are now in your country shows there is no immediate harm or threat to your life, hence there is no pressing need for you to leave the country. In summary, you should have contacted a lawyer before leaving Canada, and he may have advised you not to leave the country under any circumstances. You will have to get a professional lawyer with respect to your case.

Please let us know how it goes, I wish you the very best.

Omofar

Safaamed

Aug 21, 2019
Hello Bro,

Your case is now clear to me, and its an unfortunate one. I am not an immigration lawyer, unfortunately. You had previously claimed asylum (By doing this, you have shown intent to migrate to Canada) for whatever reason. Now you applied for a study permit (Non-immigrant visa), where there should have been no intent to migrate. Unfortunately, you had to return to your country to sort out your passport issues etc. The VO will review your case and feel that you have shown intent NOT to return to your home country in the past by applying for asylum, now you want to renew your study permit. Unfortunately, that becomes a conflict of intents. The VO may feel which one are you, an intending migrant or just international student. Furthermore, the fact that you are now in your country shows there is no immediate harm or threat to your life, hence there is no pressing need for you to leave the country. In summary, you should have contacted a lawyer before leaving Canada, and he may have advised you not to leave the country under any circumstances. You will have to get a professional lawyer with respect to your case.

Please let us know how it goes, I wish you the very best.

Omofar
Thank you very much for your time. I appreciate the help May god bless you.

Reactions: Omofar

Omo_bolaji

Jul 29, 2019
Hello Omofar, I have a question please. I’m thinking of doing a transfer to another school. From a 2 year master program to one year master program to another course and school. I have gotten my visa already but yet to resume still in January. I just want to change school and course
So my question is, I hope the change won’t affect my work permit application?

Dspecial1

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
Hello Omofar, I have a question please. I’m thinking of doing a transfer to another school. From a 2 year master program to one year master program to another course and school. I have gotten my visa already but yet to resume still in January. I just want to change school and course
So my question is, I hope the change won’t affect my work permit application?
What's the name of your institutions and what course were you given

Omo_bolaji

Jul 29, 2019
What's the name of your institutions and what course were you given
University Canada west, MBA I only settled for it cause that was the only option I had because my application to university of Waterloo and Carleton university for international affairs was refused so now I want to go for international studies at Simon Fraser

Dspecial1

Star Member
Jun 21, 2019
University Canada west, MBA I only settled for it cause that was the only option I had because my application to university of Waterloo and Carleton university for international affairs was refused so now I want to go for international studies at Simon Fraser
Yes,you can change it tho but I can only advice you to seek immigration lawyer for consultation when you get there.

blessing4999

Oct 26, 2019
Hello bro, Please I have a question to ask you..

I have completed my ND last year and I want to apply for ontario graduate Certificate (which is one year program)

It was stated that before someone can apply for Ontario graduate Certificate, he/she must have completed a diploma, advanced diploma or degree.

Now my question is that can I go on and apply for it with my ND?

I will be waiting for your reply thank you.

Dubem007

Jul 27, 2019
Good day omafar, thank you for the reply, however, I have a travel history to Senegal twice, please can that suffice as travel history? With my payslips, employment letter and I'd card as evidence of employment and I don't have enough money in my account( if my statement of account is requested) will this stand as ties to Nigeria? As my sponsor does not have ties in Nigeria but in the USA and will be funding my schooling from there?

I have gone through the information u asked me to go thru but I have these questions to ask for clarification. The list of documents

STEP_HEN

Oct 14, 2019
Based on your age, you cannot meet the required points for EE. So your best bet is to do an excellent job with your PhD, publish good papers, and apply for post-doctoral positions in Canada.

All the best.

Omofar
Thanks so much for your advice, how am I sure if apply post doctoral positions in Canada they will give it to me?

Jotemsi

Jul 5, 2019
NOC Code......
A
Hello, please I need some clarification.

When I made my study permit application I indicated that I hadn't done biometrics previously so I paid for the biometrics along with my application. However, I later remembered that I had done biometrics about 5 years ago during a prior application which was now reflected in my profile after my application submission as it has not expired.

I received a letter in my account page saying I should go for biometrics, so now I'm confused.

Because in the biometrics section in my online profile, it is showing as completed, does it mean i dont need to give biometrics? Or do I still need to go to VAC center?

Please help Mr Omofar.

Thanks in advance.