+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Omofar,

Am 44yrs old i want to apply for an advance diploma program in canada, i have done my Bsc and with 14yrs work experience in Nigeria, what are my options and which program or school will be my best options. Kindly advise pls
Hello stsoul,

Thanks for visiting this thread.

Honestly, based on your post, you may not be able to meet the minimum requirements to get the study permit. Based on your age, the qualification you already have, and the qualification you want to pursue makes it a difficult thing to make a compelling case as to why you want to pursue study now after 14 years working experience. I am afraid I may not be able to counsel on this particular case, but here are a few suggestions.

1. Instead of an advanced diploma, you should consider a Masters degree.

2. Funding. You must have this in place.

3. Intention to return to home country:- This is the hardest to prove, but you can say your family is in Nigeria and after you are done you plan to return, you boss may write a letter for you granting you an unpaid leave to pursue your studies, etc.

I wish you the very best.

Omofar

stsoul

Jul 15, 2014
Hello stsoul,

Thanks for visiting this thread.

Honestly, based on your post, you may not be able to meet the minimum requirements to get the study permit. Based on your age, the qualification you already have, and the qualification you want to pursue makes it a difficult thing to make a compelling case as to why you want to pursue study now after 14 years working experience. I am afraid I may not be able to counsel on this particular case, but here are a few suggestions.

1. Instead of an advanced diploma, you should consider a Masters degree.

2. Funding. You must have this in place.

3. Intention to return to home country:- This is the hardest to prove, but you can say your family is in Nigeria and after you are done you plan to return, you boss may write a letter for you granting you an unpaid leave to pursue your studies, etc.

I wish you the very best.

Omofar
Thanks for your response

Brian prince

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
Hey y'all someone on this forum said you can do upfront medicals after submitting the application, so I did the upfront medicals last Week Monday 26th. I sent the proof of upfront medicals to the emails of the Nairobi, Lagos and London visa offices (because i don't know where my application is), I also filled web from to the visa offices listed above, as well as one to the office in Canada. I got automatic replies acknowledging the receipt of my mail from Nairobi, while the London office sent me a mail some days later with a link to the case specific enquiry on the webform (direct to the Canadian visa office) I did that previously so I decided not to do again. In the mails I sent I mistakenly wrote my previous application number, I sent a mail acknowledging my mistake and stating the correct application number less than 24 hours after sending the original mail. I'm worried because the hospital adviced me against doing upfront after submission because, if I get a request for medicals right now as they haven't acknowledged the upfront one they'll be some sort of confusion as the numbers umi, imm would be different. My gckey hasn't been updated, any suggestions on what I should do. Thanks
@Omofar please anyone has an idea on what I should do?? No response yet from this thread

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Omofar please anyone has an idea on what I should do?? No response yet from this thread
Hello Brian prince,

Please keep calm, there is no cause for alarm in your case. Let's assume the appropriate embassy is yet to receive your medical report when they need it, they will ask for it, when they do, send them proof of the medical report you have done.

All the best.

Omofar.

Reactions: Brian prince

IamLoved

Apr 27, 2019
Hello IamLoved,

Thanks for visiting this thread. At face-value, I think you look like a good candidate. So lets dig deeper, shall we?

You have a good demography in terms of your age. I also think the fact that you were able to secure a Masters degree at the University of Ottawa shows a clear purpose. You have paid half of your tuition already demonstrating ability to fund your studies. Though I would have preferred you paid up for a whole session, but that is not a deal breaker anyway. You have a good amount of travel history that will work in your favour. So here I will score you an A+...While it might be risky for you, you have to mention the fact that you have a sister who is a PR in Canada. Please do not lie or withhold information from the embassy. The fact that you have been to Canada before will show somewhere in their data base that you have a sister living in Canada.

I do not see much of a problem with respect to this. Infact you have clearly explained what you have been doing since you graduated from the University. All you need to do is to eloquently explain this again in your SOP and you should be fine. Show the certificate you obtained from the culinary school, show some of the cakes you have baked, if you had a registered business, show how people paid you when you took orders etc. Show the letter of employment from your current job, get a reference letter from the consulting firm you work now, perhaps they may assist you by saying they will be happy to take you back upon your return home, and how much the international knowledge and exposure you have gained will add value to the company. You can also write in your own SOP how you intend to return home to work for a few years with your current employer with a view to starting your own consulting firm in future. You plan to assist small companies and local governments collect and analyse important business and environmental data that can be used for formulation of policy and initiatives that will be of benefit to the community.

With respect to funding you might have a small issue here, since your dad is not the sole owner of the company. But it is not the end of the world. There are two ways to go about it.

I would personally prefer if your dad, shows the funds in his account, that is just straight forward, and makes things easier. If not, then the company will have to write a letter of sponsorship in your favour. The company directors should sign it. They must justify why they would spend so much of the company's funds on a director's child. They can say that as part of company policy, each director is entitled to send one of their children to study overseas for post-graduate studies to the tune of x amount (just put the total amount required for your entire stay in Canada there).

VOs are not too interested in physical properties, liquid cash is more convincing that land, car, or house. Those are only important to show that you have intention to return to your country and cannot abandon such valuables, but they are not a good proof that you can pay for your tuition, so don't bother about that.

So if you arrange your application properly, you should get your study permit no problem.

Let's know how it goes.

Wish you all the best.

Omofar
Thanks a lot for your response, I was able to get my study permit. Your posts were super helpful, God bless you!

Timeline (Online Application)
Submission: June 13th
Medicals request: July 12th
Medicals done: July 18th
Medicals confirmed: July 21st
Original Passport Request: August 1st

Reactions: Tolurade and Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a lot for your response, I was able to get my study permit. Your posts were super helpful, God bless you!

Congratulations IamLoved!

I am very glad to read that some of the tips I offered you were useful. I sincerely wish you all the best in Canada.

Make the best of it.

Please free to share your experiences in Canada here when you get there.

Cheers...

Omofar:):):):):):)

Sacur

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
I applied 20June
Confirmation receipt 30June
Since then no medical requested
It's almost 73days

Omofar

Sacur

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019

Congrats

Sacur

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Hello Brian prince,

Please keep calm, there is no cause for alarm in your case. Let's assume the appropriate embassy is yet to receive your medical report when they need it, they will ask for it, when they do, send them proof of the medical report you have done.

All the best.

Omofar.
Thanks for your response

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Greetings everyone,

Things are not rosy with the Canadian embassy at the moment, and here are my thought on why:

1. I am seeing indiscriminate refusals of applications for Canadian Study Permit for genuine applicants from Nigeria.

2. I suspect The Embassy has begun to lack transparency and fairness in the way they apply the immigration rules to applicants from Nigeria.

3. I suspect that they may have started a quota system, and once that has been met all subsequent applications, whether genuine or otherwise will be refused.

Which way forward now?

I am open to ideas.

Many thanks

Omofar

Last edited:

omodara

Aug 28, 2019
Hello Omofar

Thanks for your information, please what are your suggestions and counsels for those who are planning to submit applications for January 2020 intake. How do we go about it to avoid refusal since the VOs are not predictable at the moment even for those who have genuine intention to study in Canada. Thank you in anticipation for your
reply.

Samlasysy

Sep 5, 2019
Please I'm planning to apply to a Canadian University and I have a CGPA of 3.38/5.00 and when I tried converting it to the 4.00 Canadian scale, it's 2.70/4.00. Now my question is will I have schools I'm Canada that will take that for Masters I should go for a Graduate Diploma course.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Omofar

Thanks for your information, please what are your suggestions and counsels for those who are planning to submit applications for January 2020 intake. How do we go about it to avoid refusal since the VOs are not predictable at the moment even for those who have genuine intention to study in Canada. Thank you in anticipation for your
reply.
Hello Omodara,

Thanks for your visiting this thread..

The keyword is 'unpredictable' as you have rightly stated, this year I have facilitated 6 successful applications, and now I have facilitated 4 unsuccessful applications. The mode of operation was the same for all 10 applications, nevertheless, the latter 4 were refused. So if the VO's care not following the rules properly, honestly there is nothing we can do at the moment. I personally, might stop facilitating applications for people because this sort of outcomes are an embarrassment to me, and undermines my own personal integrity.

So I will advise again, everyone should properly assess their eligibility, prepare their applications properly, include the appropriate supporting documentation, demonstration proper logic in your application, and finally, pray and hope for the best, because despite all that there are still no guarantees.

Cheers.

Omofar

Reactions: milesdavis