+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Has anyone used her brother inlaw as sponsor , he has 17000000 as his balance, that's the only statement of account I submitted but it's fixed deposit since 2017,he's been withdrawing from it time to time, I ddnt add his source of income, is that a problem? my tuition is 18,788, I paid 9,753.77 already,No travel history, I did my nysc in 2017,im 28yrs, I applied for post graduate program, I mentioned I managed my mum small business after service , no pay, what is my chance?​
Hello Jessevly,

Your chances are very low, that is my honest opinion. However, lets see what will happen, hopefully the VO can show some discretionary compassion for your case.

All the best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Abolajiolayanju & @Niola200 ,

Please refer to the post below for guidance. All the best.

Greetings!

GIS session #2

Anyone applying for study permit from Nigeria may be interested in the following data. It is the most updated data on the subject of study permit approval rates based on country of application. I will post data for Nigeria from 2012 to 1st quarter of 2017.

2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017(1st Quarter)

Total Number of applications 4,279 5,486 7,488 8,903 10,273 2,545

Total Number Approved 1,650 2,490 3,123 3,560 2,501 371

% Approval 39% 45% 42% 40% 24% 15%

Source of the above information can be obtained here https://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/63858380-265e-4948-8e96-ca50fceca2d7?_ga=2.237275528.964540470.1501869032-771005413.1497994661

If you analyse closely the data, you will see that there has been a steady decline in number of study permits approved for applicants from Nigeria. Only God knows what the approval rates will be today. This is the reason why you cannot afford to be complacent with your application to the Canadian embassy. Furthermore, you need to be sure that you are able to meet the minimum requirements, if you don't meet it, you are very unlikely to get your permit approved. So a quick way assess yourself are as follows

1. Age:- You need to consider this in relation to the level of qualification you want to pursue. Ideally, 17-20 (Undergraduate), 21-24 (PGC/PGDs/Masters), 25-27(PGC/PGD/Masters + at least 2-3 years relevant work experience), 27 and above (PhD + relevant work experience). This is not too say people cannot get permits outside of this bracket, but what I have posted is just the most ideal.

2. Funding:- Very Very Very Very Important. if you cannot demonstrate in a compelling manner that you can afford to sponsor yourself without needing to work while studying, you will not get a permit.

3. Travel History:- Depending on your age, they may waive this or take it more seriously. For example, a 32 year old man with no international travel history is now applying for study permit to pursue a Masters degree. The chances of getting a study permit approval are highly unlikely, he could be lucky may if he is being sponsored by a government agency etc.

4. Employment History:- If you are a mature applicant, from 26 and above and you do not have a relevant work history or experience and you want to apply for study permit, you are unlikely to get approved.

So I will advise you to read through, critically assess yourself, and determine if you are in a position to get a permit, if you are then you can approach a professional to assist you, if you are not, don't bother, that professional will just take you for a ride.

I wish you all the best with your plans for Canada.

Omofar

Omofar

Reactions: milesdavis

Jessevly

May 11, 2019
Hello Jessevly,

Your chances are very low, that is my honest opinion. However, lets see what will happen, hopefully the VO can show some discretionary compassion for your case.

All the best.

Omofar
Exactly what hope on "compassion" because I wrote a very compelling SOP, how my course is my dream and I will contribute massively to growth of my developing country after studies... I also have a solid background for my prospective course, had 6months internship at nnpc while in school and my nysc is inline too... I'm not completely inexperienced , it's just the financial loophole but I'm praying for a miracle, I serve a God of miracle, I know I will come back for testimony soon, I applied 7 June paper route.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Exactly what hope on "compassion" because I wrote a very compelling SOP, how my course is my dream and I will contribute massively to growth of my developing country after studies... I also have a solid background for my prospective course, had 6months internship at nnpc while in school and my nysc is inline too... I'm not completely inexperienced , it's just the financial loophole but I'm praying for a miracle, I serve a God of miracle, I know I will come back for testimony soon, I applied 7 June paper route.
Hello Jessevely,

I truly hope it works out as you pray for. If you look at my 1st post on this thread, I am not here to massage egos, I am here to tell the truth and guide people so they can face the realities of what it takes to apply for a Canadian study permit and get it approved. I have applied for about 8 people this year, 4 for tourist and 4 for study permit, they have all got their permits. I have another 6 or so waiting for their results. I know what I am saying, not trying to discourage but responding truthfully as I can based on your post or comment.

I sincerely wish you the very best.

Omofar

Reactions: milesdavis

Brian prince

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
Dear Brian prince,

I am sorry to hear about this news of your refusal after waiting for so long. I know how you feel, but you need to try to calm down and control those feelings. I get a strong sense of desperation, and if the VO gets wind of this, they are likely to turn down your application again.

Firstly, you application failed on all counts that are required to be met before your application can be approved. For whatever reason the VO felt you were not clear on purpose of travel, and that your finances were not convincing enough to demonstrate that you could sustain yourself in Canada. So it is important that you wait for the gcms notes, it is important that you critically and objectively appraise your ability to pursue this venture, or else you will apply again and get the same results.

Finally, it will be unproductive if some else sends you their own gcms notes. Imagine you go to the hospital, and because you want to leave the place quickly, you want the doctor to give you the results of another person's blood test. That cannot help you, because each person's blood test result will be different, same as the gcms notes. You need the one that is for your specific application. If I send you one that I have, how do you know if you have the same problem with the person, how do you know if its the same VO that treated both applications, how do you even know if both applications were treated at the same location.Too many variables to consider here.

Please calm down, wait for the gcms notes, when they come, study them, address the issues raised and re-apply.

All the best.

Omofar
Hey omofar please I need help urgently I waited for the gcms notes as you said and I just got it I've readied all my documents for reapplication because Its been about 33 days since I ordered for the notes and I had already decided that I couldn't wait for it but fortunately for me I just got them 30 minutes ago please I would like your help in understanding the notes as my agent intends to submit the application today. My email is brianprince7101999@gmail.com you can respond there.
Thanks

Joshua.O.

Apr 6, 2019
Hello
I recieved my correspondence letter today without medical request today. I know there has been a trend that a correspondence letter without medical request usually means refusal. I just wanted to ask if anyone knows a person who has gotten medical request AFTER correspondence letter?

Romeo34

Jun 2, 2019
Probably safer to get a new one. However, did you get your gcms notes, did you properly address the issues raised by the visa officer?

If you have not done these, please don't rush to reapply.

All the best.

Omofar
I haven't collected the gcms notes yet due to little time i have ... my sch resumes sept 3.. but can it be bcos i didn't add legal documents backing my sponsors business? The last time i only dropped his statement of acct and letter of sponsorship.

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey omofar please I need help urgently I waited for the gcms notes as you said and I just got it I've readied all my documents for reapplication because Its been about 33 days since I ordered for the notes and I had already decided that I couldn't wait for it but fortunately for me I just got them 30 minutes ago please I would like your help in understanding the notes as my agent intends to submit the application today. My email is brianprince7101999@gmail.com you can respond there.
Thanks
Theophilus1980@gmail.com.

Hope it's not too late,

Cheers.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello
I recieved my correspondence letter today without medical request today. I know there has been a trend that a correspondence letter without medical request usually means refusal. I just wanted to ask if anyone knows a person who has gotten medical request AFTER correspondence letter?
Yhello Joshua.O,

I am sorry that looks like a refusal. It it turns out to be one, please take time to re-assess yourself, order for gcms notes, address the concerns raised, and then re-apply.

All the best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's online submission with medical upfront...submitted 20th May, biometric request 20th May, biometric done 21may. Exactly 21 June correspondence letter. Background checking reviewing, eligibility reviewing, medical status ( you don't need medical, we will tell u if this change) and they paused.. Sponsoring myself, $10k paid, owns my company.
If they messed with their head not every one is suffering in Nigeria. But still under the 9weeks sa.
I hope it turns out okay..I applied for two people on the 16th and 17 of may. They have both received their original passport request. I see that they respond within a month to 6 weeks. So I don't know about your case. Let's stay hopeful.

All best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I haven't collected the gcms notes yet due to little time i have ... my sch resumes sept 3.. but can it be bcos i didn't add legal documents backing my sponsors business? The last time i only dropped his statement of acct and letter of sponsorship.
I can't say, it is better to defer your admission than re-apply again blindly without addressing the issues raised. You are likely to get refused again.

All the best.

Omofar

easy4kay

Mar 9, 2019
I hope it turns out okay..I applied for two people on the 16th and 17 of may. They have both received their original passport request. I see that they respond within a month to 6 weeks. So I don't know about your case. Let's stay hopeful.

All best.

Omofar
Thanks so much for your response you are a nice person, i will like to have your contact, mine is easy4kay@yahoo.com kindly hi me there. You said it...but am going straight for my refund, i consider reapplying immediately as desperation #my opinion. I just know about this forum 60hrs ago even though have registered on the site for so long. piece out of all your advise would have prevented me from even applying in the first plc, because my refusal was on 1ground.... Thank God one didn't play when one should have worked in the days, it would have been a physiological mind issues. They don't trust us and they treat our app like random things,(they want to run away)

May 6, 2019

All best.

Omofar
Hello were your applicants Nigerian