+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Bingie

May 1, 2019
Hello Omofar..thanks for all your help..please someone told my cousin who is 30 years being sponsored by her uncle that she has to attach a letter of consent from her father with her father’s id too..is this necessary?

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Omofar..thanks for all your help..please someone told my cousin who is 30 years being sponsored by her uncle that she has to attach a letter of consent from her father with her father’s id too..is this necessary?
Yhello Bngie,

Thanks for visiting this thread.

That makes no sense and I will tell you why (though I suspect you already know the answer). Your cousin is 30, she is not a minor, she does not need any consent from her father. Anyone willing to sponsor is free to do so.

All the best.

Omofar

Bingie

May 1, 2019
Yeah!..i told her same
Yhello Bngie,

That makes no sense and I will tell you why (though I suspect you already know the answer). Your cousin is 30, she is not a minor, she does not need any consent from her father. Anyone willing to sponsor is free to do so.

All the best.

Omofar
i thought as much..alright..thank you Omofar

Samy5

May 2, 2019
Hello omofar, great job you're doing so far. God bless you.

Here's my situation; I'm 24years old and currently studying at national open university (noun) i just got my admission from new Brunswick community college, i have a land which mom bought for me about a year ago in my name, i have never been out of the country, my dad has a church and he can write a letter saying I'm an assistant to him, I'm not working and haven't really worked much in my lifetime hence i don't have much funds in my account. My elder sister (she's the first child and I'm the 3rd) will be sponsoring me and she has about 10000cad in her account, she works full time as a manager. I'm just wondering if its okay for her to sponsor me and if there's something i need to know to make my application more convincing to the VO. Thank you.

Evankc

Dec 13, 2018

Here's my situation; I'm 24years old and currently studying at national open university (noun) i just got my admission from new Brunswick community college, i have a land which mom bought for me about a year ago in my name, i have never been out of the country, my dad has a church and he can write a letter saying I'm an assistant to him, I'm not working and haven't really worked much in my lifetime hence i don't have much funds in my account. My elder sister (she's the first child and I'm the 3rd) will be sponsoring me and she has about 10000cad in her account, she works full time as a manager. I'm just wondering if its okay for her to sponsor me and if there's something i need to know to make my application more convincing to the VO. Thank you.

That fund is just only for living expenses... How much is your tuition fee in a year and how many years program are you going for .....

Samy5

May 2, 2019
That fund is just only for living expenses... How much is your tuition fee in a year and how many years program are you going for .....
Thanks for your response. It's a 2year program, and the tuition is 9100 per year, we plan to pay for a semester before submitting which is 4500.

JaeyMcgreg

Aug 9, 2018
Hello Omofar,

I am 30 years, I have my LOA from a DLI. I have about 5 years work experience in sales and customer service.
But my BSc is Computer Science, and I'm to study Project Management (Graduate certificate). I've been to the UK and Kenya.

I would love to know the best way to demonstrate ties here in Nigeria. I still have a job and my company stated my Study leave will be granted upon issuance of visa. My brother is my sponsor and he's co-sponsoring with my younger brother. My dad also swore an affidavit to support my application. And yes, I already paid my 1st semester tuition deposit.

Any heads-up on how to write my LOE to be convincing?

Thank you for the great job you're doing here. @Omofar

Last edited:
Reactions: MrOhizzy

Evankc

Dec 13, 2018
Is there any one from Nigeria that have applied for visa and got approve within a month ????

Joelle111

May 30, 2018
Is it OK to have multiple financial support? Like me presenting my bank statement, my mom supporting me with her bank statement and my sister sort of "pitching in" say CAD 3000? Will my sister need to write a letter saying she's contributing to my studies? Under the "who will be paying for your studies" on the Study permit form, can I choose "OTHER" then write Myself, Mother, and Sister"? or do I just write "Myself and Mother"?

@Omofar your insight will be valued.

sillysassysally

Mar 7, 2019
Hi Omofar,

I have come again with my wahala again lol.

So basically, i got a medical request yesterday. However, i actually submitted my application with upfront medicals... Please kow do you think i can rectify this issue?

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Hello Samy5,

Thanks for visiting, I am sorry I am just responding.

1. You did not specify what level you are studying at NOUN and what level you plan to study at New Brunswick community college, If I have that info, I can comment on that further.

2. Landed property is will not add value to your study permit application. VO wants to see liquid cash

3. Lack of travel history is a big red flag, it will not help your application. Lack of viable employment of employment prospects is also not good for your case. Your dad writing about you assisting him in his Church is not very impressive, the VO would suggest you stay at that Church and continue to work there.

4. Your ability to fund your intentions in Canada will be questioned, you do not have enough funds to pursue this venture, and most likely would struggle to even demonstrate where you will get additional funds to support your self.

In my final analysis you do not appear to be a good candidate for Canadian study permit. I will suggest you consider getting a proper joh, work for some time 1-2 years, travel out of Nigeria for holiday, then re-visit this idea then.

All the best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Omofar,

I am 30 years, I have my LOA from a DLI. I have about 5 years work experience in sales and customer service.
But my BSc is Computer Science, and I'm to study Project Management (Graduate certificate). I've been to the UK and Kenya.

I would love to know the best way to demonstrate ties here in Nigeria. I still have a job and my company stated my Study leave will be granted upon issuance of visa. My brother is my sponsor and he's co-sponsoring with my younger brother. My dad also swore an affidavit to support my application. And yes, I already paid my 1st semester tuition deposit.

Any heads-up on how to write my LOE to be convincing?

Thank you for the great job you're doing here. @Omofar
Hello JaeyMocgreg,

At face-value you appear like a good candidate, so lets try and dig a little deeper shall we?

1. Your age is a bit advanced, however, you have justified that with your years of work experience. So you are in the clear here.

2. Changing career is not bad, you are moving from computer science, to sales and customer service, and now to project management. I think its not a bad move. But you will need to demonstrate the value of the degree to you in your LOE.

3. What you really want to show the VO is not actually ties to Nigeria, but a genuine INTENTION to return to Nigeria on completion of your studies. there really no hard and fast rule do so. However, the fact that you are currently working shows that you have employment prospects, so getting an additional credential will improve your chances of getting better offers on your return to Nigeria. This needs to be properly articulate in your LOE. What are your plans when you get back from Canada..etc

4. As for all the numerous co-sponsors, I really don't think that is the way to go. Speak to all those that want to support you, let them consolidate the funds into your own account. In your LOE you will explain that funding for this venture was made available by support from family and friends and maybe do a table showing how much each person contributed, and why they have vested interest in helping you actualize your dreams.

Based on this, if you try to tidy up the area of your funding and write a very compelling LOE, you should be fine.

I wish you all the best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there any one from Nigeria that have applied for visa and got approve within a month ????
Hello Evankc,

Thanks for visiting the thread. I have applied for people and they got their original passport request letter within a month. However, I must say that it a few factors determine how quick you get feedback for a study permit.

1. Time of application: If you put in an application during the 'quiet' periods, then you are likely to get a very quick response. If you put in an application during the busy periods like April going toward summer, then you have enter the peak period and you are likely to get a feedback late.

2. Visa Office: It also depends on the office your application was sent to. If you put in an application online from Nigeria, it is likely sent to Kenya or London. It then depends on the work load at either sites. If you are unlucky that your application was sent to London office, you are going to get delayed and most likely not get a visa. I feel the London office if full of wicked VOs. The Ghanaian used to be better, I don't know why they moved their operations to Kenya. The Kenya office can be quite brutal too.

3. Verification: If the VO is finding it difficult to verify your some of your documentation this could also impact the time frame by which you will get a response from the embassy.

On the average, when things are slow at the embassy, you should be able to get feedback within 1 month, if things are not rosy, and factors 2 and 3 are added to your situation, you can wait for your permit for as long as 5-10months.

All the best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is it OK to have multiple financial support? Like me presenting my bank statement, my mom supporting me with her bank statement and my sister sort of "pitching in" say CAD 3000? Will my sister need to write a letter saying she's contributing to my studies? Under the "who will be paying for your studies" on the Study permit form, can I choose "OTHER" then write Myself, Mother, and Sister"? or do I just write "Myself and Mother"?

@Omofar your insight will be valued.
Hello Joelle111,

How are you doing, I hope well. Thank you for visiting this thread.

I usually do not fancy multiple sponsors, the impression given to the VO is that you cannot afford to pursue this venture on your own and could affect the decision taken on your application. If you are working, here are a few suggestions to convince the VO that you have the funding to pursue this venture.

1. Pay-up to 1 session of your fees, or at least a semester.

2. Consolidate all the funds into your own single account, print the statement and present it for the visa application.

3. Explain the source of funding as a combination of your own savings and free will gifts from family and friends in your LOE.

I wish you the very best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Omofar,

I have come again with my wahala again lol.

So basically, i got a medical request yesterday. However, i actually submitted my application with upfront medicals... Please kow do you think i can rectify this issue?
Hello Sillysassysally,

I hope well. It depends on many things. If you applied online, and you indicate during the quesionnaire that you have done your medicals upfront, you would have uploaded it online and you would not have received a medical examination request. In some cased it might just be a computer glitch such that even though you had previously submitted, it, they are asking for it again. Just respond to the mail and explain that your did and upfront, and attach the up front document given to you by the medical examiner.

I wish you all the best.

Omofar