+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thank you. My parents will serve as my sponsors.

I have reviewed page 155 of the thread. It's insightful but nothing specific to my situation.

My profile Is rather complex because I have been unemployed for almost a year. How do you suggest I tackle this issue as one of the reasons for refusals is 'current employment status'
Current employment status is common reason used by VO when invoking section 216 (1)... others are choosing program of studies that do not clearly connect with your goals and future plans, financial reasons, and or whether you will return back after end of your programs. the last reasons in most case is relating to country's profile. I have also seen applicant who opens active profile under other economic immigration streams like Express Entry and the apply for SP get refused with reasons you will not return to your country, simply to put "dual intent". if you overcomes all these, you may want to find strong reasons because of pandemic to convince an officer to grant you SP, as long as there is no significant gap on your work and studies...Other than that, I don't see other good reasons. Its good that you are doing your research before applying..

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you. My parents will serve as my sponsors.

I have reviewed page 155 of the thread. It's insightful but nothing specific to my situation.

My profile Is rather complex because I have been unemployed for almost a year. How do you suggest I tackle this issue as one of the reasons for refusals is 'current employment status'
Hello Vicky_7,

Again, your overall profile will determine whether or not you will be issued a study permit as I stated on page 155 of this thread, for example previous travel history is also a strong consideration to infer an applicant's behavior if issued a study permit. I also do agree with @Simba112 that you will now have to get creative about your personal circumstances. You can talk about how the emergence of the global pandemic lockdowns limited employment opportunities, did you by any chance get involved in any voluntary work, since you are going to study peace and conflict studies, you can talk about the current unrest in the country and how an international credential can position you to get into public service or NGOs to help IDPs etc, and how now that everywhere is easing up, you would like to use this opportunity to improve on your credentials by acquiring a Canadian degree that will enable you to become more competitive upon your return to Nigeria. You will also highlight briefly the opportunities in the industry of interest in Nigeria and how a foreign credential will give you an advantage over your colleagues who studied similar courses in Nigeria. blah, blah, blah.

Just get creative, the onus is on you to write a compelling personal statement.

All the best.

Omofar

Duakkie

Jan 10, 2020
Hi, Duakkie,

Hope well. Please note that when it comes to Canadian study permit application, *WAITING* is the name of the game. You must learn to *WAIT*.

Making all efforts to speed up the process is useless, Canadian embassy officials take life easy, so no amount of mailing, GCMS request and what not can speed up the process.

All the best.

Omofar
Thanks boss for the response ,

I learnt the gcms notes is to keep us informed Incase one needs to add more documents through webform .

My plans was not to speed . Just to read comment s .

Goodnews1234

Mar 29, 2021
Good day.
Please My sponsor is a very close family friend who owns a ministry and wants to sponsor me in the name of the Church. He has been sponsoring my education since my high school, he's a permanent resident in the USA but also a Nigerian citizen. He will be providing a sponsorship letter and the bank statement of the church. Is there any document that you feel should be provided to support my proof of funds requirements?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Good day.
Please My sponsor is a very close family friend who owns a ministry and wants to sponsor me in the name of the Church. He has been sponsoring my education since my high school, he's a permanent resident in the USA but also a Nigerian citizen. He will be providing a sponsorship letter and the bank statement of the church. Is there any document that you feel should be provided to support my proof of funds requirements?
Are you independent and what age group are you? And do you apply straight from high school?

Goodnews1234

Mar 29, 2021
Okey, then your sponsor need to provide bank statement and covering letter that clearly explain obligation during your studies and relationship if any
Thank you. Please do you have any idea of how I should arrange my proof of funds requirements.
I'm applying online and I wish to provide these in support to my application.
Proof of prior financial support from sponsor. Demonstrate of genuine relationship with him
His passport bio data.
And an explanation of funding letter..
Should I combine these in one PDF?

Beta J

Mar 17, 2021
I had submitted my application and the asked for ielts and my bank statement certificate which I have also submitted. I didn't do the upfront medical neither have they asked for one yet. I want to know if there is a way to do the medical now and submit before the ask for it.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thank you. Please do you have any idea of how I should arrange my proof of funds requirements.
I'm applying online and I wish to provide these in support to my application.
Proof of prior financial support from sponsor. Demonstrate of genuine relationship with him
His passport bio data.
And an explanation of funding letter..
Should I combine these in one PDF?
You can merge them as one document or seperate as attachments, VO will read eitherway

Deydey

Jan 28, 2021
Hi everyone, I got a letter from ircc saying I owe some outstanding fee from my previous application and without paying they won't continue with my current one. I don't understand because I know it's impossible for an application to be submitted without paying all fees. Has this happened to any one before. Please help

Demure178

Oct 10, 2019
Hi everyone, I got a letter from ircc saying I owe some outstanding fee from my previous application and without paying they won't continue with my current one. I don't understand because I know it's impossible for an application to be submitted without paying all fees. Has this happened to any one before. Please help
Yes, it has happened to me, which payment did you use to pay for your application, I meant is it personal or someone helped you to pay. Reason is, the money as been charged back, that’s the money went back to the sender

Deydey

Jan 28, 2021
Yes, it has happened to me, which payment did you use to pay for your application, I meant is it personal or someone helped you to pay. Reason is, the money as been charged back, that’s the money went back to the sender
I'm glad there is someone that can relate to it cuz I noticed it's almost unheard of. My first application was through an agent. This current one, I applied myself. How did you go about it please. I'm confused.

Demure178

Oct 10, 2019
I'm glad there is someone that can relate to it cuz I noticed it's almost unheard of. My first application was through an agent. This current one, I applied myself. How did you go about it please. I'm confused.
On the letter, which application number is on the letter? First study permit or the second?

Deydey

Jan 28, 2021
On the letter, which application number is on the letter? First study permit or the second?
The application number is the current one but the content of the letter refered to the outstanding as relating to my previous application. Below is the letter

This is in reference to your application for temporary residence.
You have an outstanding debt to the Crown of CAD $150.00 for previous Immigration service(s)
rendered.
Kindly contact Collection Services at 1-888-448-4426 or by email to: IRCC.FINDebtstotheCrown-
DettesalaCouronneFIN.IRCC@cic.gc.ca with application number
The processing of the current application or any future applications will be on hold until the debt is
cleared.
This must be received at this office by: 2021/06/21