+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Favs

Mar 19, 2021
I have been rejected visa because they aren’t convinced I’ll come back based on my purpose of visit even though I indicated I want to study, based on my travel history, based on my family ties and based on my financial status but I’m young and I don’t have the type of money being asked. What do I do???

Favs

Mar 19, 2021
Hello worshipper,

Thanks for your post. However, I find your story quite far-fetched.

Are you talking about a Canadian Institution that is a DLI that refuses to refund all your money after you have proved that your visa was refused? I have been in this business since 2013, never have I had trouble withdrawing funds from a Canadian DLI on grounds of visa refusal. I know they will charge about $200CAD admin fee for the refund but that is already stated within the withdrawal policy. In fact most withdrawal policies are such that when a student has even gotten their permits, and are in Canada already and have only attended lectures for a specified period of time and then decide to quit the program, they are entitled to get their full refund. So name the school here, I will investigate why... I will rather pay money to a Canadian DLI and go to sleep than borrow my neighbor money. The reason is simple. I am 100% certain that I will get the refund back!

For others reading this, the Canadian study permit approval rates for Nigerians as at 2017 is less than 15%, by now it will be about 10%, 2018 report is not yet out. What is the implication of this, it means if 1,000 people apply for study permits from Nigeria only 100 will get their visas approved. This means you must do everything necessary to convince the VO of 3 basic things

1. Clear purpose of visit- Study via your LOA

2. Ability to Fund item (1)- Best you pay at least a semester, if you were working with me, I would demand you pay for a year, or else I would not touch your application. Even this is not a Guarantee, but its better than not paying at all.

3. Intention to return to home country after studies- This is the trickiest part of any Canadian study permit.

Many people do not actually have the funds, they just get a third party to put money in their accounts for them to present to the VO, well the embassy is very aware of this fact, and unless your parents are well known multimillionaires, just showing bank statement in an account will not convince the VO that the funds are actually at your disposal when it is time to put in the application. Please note that one of the major reasons it takes forever to get your study permit decision is the amount of investigation the VO is doing on your application and documents submitted, as well as background checks on source of income.

In the end its your choice, if you choose, pay your tuition, if you like don't pay, wetin your see, na you know.

Cheers

Omofar
How do we maneuver number 3 which is the trickiest part of the application, I got rejected because of this

Favs

Mar 19, 2021
Hello TinaMichael,

Thank you for visiting this thread. I will do my utmost to answer your queries.

1. Online application is best! VFS people can sometimes ask you for things your do not really require, but the online application based on the online questionnaire for the kind of permit you want will generate a proper checklist for your to work with. It's faster, more convenient, does not require initial submission of your passport, meaning you can still travel while waiting for a decision from the embassy instead of being held to ransom.. its just much better in my own opinion, but people have preferences.

2. Medical examination can be done upfront or when requested by the embassy. Based on the things going on now, I would suggest you do your medicals upfront, so that if the VO is happy with your application, he/she will not need to now request for a medical report because it is already available, so they will just go ahead and issue your permit. The downside is that it is more expensive than if you do it when requested by the embassy, and also could be a waste of money if your permit is refused. Normally, if you did not do an upfront and the visa officer refuses your application, he/she will not ask for a medical report to be done.

All the best.

Omofar
But if one reapplies again and medical report is asked for can one provide the one they had since that is, the one they did upfront before

Dollarwise

Mar 22, 2021
Hi everyone,

I just got admitted to St Lawrence College for an advanced Diploma in Computer Programming and Analysis. I have a B.sc in Computer Science from a state university and I currently work with a government agency. I plan to pay my 1st semester fees before starting the visa application. I have 2 minor children I intend to travel with and my sister in the US wants to stand as my sponsor. How much should I also have in my account to support my application? Will my children require medicals also and should I apply first before doing theirs? Thanks

Dollarwise

Mar 22, 2021
Hi everyone,

I just got admitted to St Lawrence College for an advanced Diploma in Computer Programming and Analysis. I have a B.sc in Computer Science from a state university and I currently work with a government agency. I plan to pay my 1st semester fees before starting the visa application. I have 2 minor children I intend to travel with and my sister in the US wants to stand as my sponsor. How much should I also have in my account to support my application? Will my children require medicals also and should I apply first before doing theirs? Thanks
I recently turned 35 and I've been working for 7yrs. My children are 8 and 7yrs. My sister is a nurse but has not been working for close to a year because she gave birth to twins

LizADE

Mar 11, 2021
Greetings!

If you are interested in hearing the truth, and still ready to proceed despite the challenges, you are welcome here. If you want to be pampered, please go elsewhere.

I am here offer advise to anyone who is Nigerian and needs assistance in navigating the dangerous waters of Canadian study permit application. Identify what the problem might be and how to possibly over come them.

It would be better to come here before you apply, rather than after you have applied, it might be too late to assist you then. Also, never rush to put in an application, if you are rejected once, your chances of being rejected a second time increases by about 60-70%.

Looking forward to assisting anyone with question here.

You are welcome.

Cheers

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

Hi,

Thank you for visiting this thread. Here are a few tips for you.

1. You already have a B.Sc in Computer Science which is higher than an Advanced Diploma in Computer Porgramming and Analysis. Do not apply with this, the VO will not be happy. You are better off applying to a post-graduate diploma in computer programming/Data science/Machine Learning or any similar program.

2. If you can get a letter from your government agency to say that you have been granted study leave to pursue this program for the purpose of facilitating the advancement of your career within the organization that would be very helpful, especially if it is a paid study leave letter.

3. Do NOT make mention of that your sister in the US for your visa application as your sponsor. Rather her send the funds to your account, and you stand as your own sponsor.

4. Children under the age of 12 do not require medicals. Do NOT apply for the children until you have your own visa approval.

All the best.

Omofar

Reactions: RamSatt

Nduson

Mar 24, 2021
Hello guys! pls i got a message that i am eligible for NSE that i should bring IELTS and MYBANK STATEMENT within one month and i can,t meet up to take the ielts test i need to enrol for a class first before taking the test.I have gotten Mybank Statement for 12months, so my question now is, should i write them to continue processing my application in a normal way without the ielts?hope its not gonna be a problem? pls i need urgent response.

Reactions: Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello guys! pls i got a message that i am eligible for NSE that i should bring IELTS and MYBANK STATEMENT within one month and i can,t meet up to take the ielts test i need to enrol for a class first before taking the test.I have gotten Mybank Statement for 12months, so my question now is, should i write them to continue processing my application in a normal way without the ielts?hope its not gonna be a problem? pls i need urgent response.
Yes mail them, and tell them that you respectfully decline to move to the NSE due to the fact that you are unable to meet up with the 30days deadline and that they should kindly process your application as normal. Tell them the earliest date you saw that would enable adequate preparation for the test is 4weeks from now...

All the best.

Omofar

Reactions: Benjena

Nduson

Mar 24, 2021
Yes mail them, and tell them that you respectfully decline to move to the NSE due to the fact that you are unable to meet up with the 30days deadline and that they should kindly process your application as normal. Tell them the earliest date you saw that would enable adequate preparation for the test is 4weeks from now...

All the best.

Omofar
Thank you very very much, but i hope it will not lead to refusal of the study permit?

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you very very much, but i hope it will not lead to refusal of the study permit?
Bro its up to you. I only just offered my honest opinion. You can do all that, meet the deadline and IRCC will still deny your visa. It is not a guarantee.

Cheers

Omofar