+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good day house. I just got admitted to University of alberta MPH course. In my official admission letter, I was asked to submit my degree certificate nd transcript to the school before December 1. Can I apply for my student visa with this conditional admission letter or I av to send my degree certificate first.
Secondly, to show proof of funds, my course is a 2year course, do I need to show 1 year tuition + living expenses or 2 year tuition + living expenses.
Thanx
Hello,

Thanks for visiting this thread.. You have done well to get admitted to the University of Alberta... International acceptance rates into that school is very low, so well done.

1. Do not apply for a study permit with the conditional offer, please fulfil all the conditions of the offer, then they will send an unconditional offer, that is what you should use to apply.

2. Consider paying your first-year tuition, then showing living costs for only the 1st year. That is the requirement ( To show 1st year tuition + 1st year living costs)

All the best.

Omofar

Juliusdubem

Feb 7, 2017
Hello Omofar,

Thanks a lot for the assistance you're rendering to people on this forum.

I just got an offer letter for admission to University of Windsor ON, MEng Civil Engineering program starting September 2020. I have a BEng in Civil Engineering, awarded in 2011, I've been working in the Civil Engineering field since 2013 (immediately after NYSC) till December 2019, when my contract was terminated. I'm 33 years at the moment and I don't have any travel history, so I have a virgin passport. I was denied US visa in 2003 for my Undergraduate student visa application. I am self sponsored, and I've saved up the required amount for my full program tuition and the living expenses for the 2 years in my bank account which I have pay slips and employment letter during that period to prove.

I just discussed with Maple Education for assistance in my application but I was advised to look for a sponsor, that its not good to go as a self sponsor, and I'm unemployed currently. I don't have any sponsor from my family (the same surname).

Reading through this forum and also your last post, I surmised that I don't have a chance.

What do you think I should do based on your experience so far? I have an admission offer from a UK university too, which is a backup option for me, do you think I stand a chance with this Canadian Visa application?

Reactions: Omofar

Leemz

Mar 9, 2020
Thank u.
Hello,

Thanks for visiting this thread.. You have done well to get admitted to the University of Alberta... International acceptance rates into that school is very low, so well done.

1. Do not apply for a study permit with the conditional offer, please fulfil all the conditions of the offer, then they will send an unconditional offer, that is what you should use to apply.

2. Consider paying your first-year tuition, then showing living costs for only the 1st year. That is the requirement ( To show 1st year tuition + 1st year living costs)

All the best.

Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Omofar,

Thanks a lot for the assistance you're rendering to people on this forum.

I just got an offer letter for admission to University of Windsor ON, MEng Civil Engineering program starting September 2020. I have a BEng in Civil Engineering, awarded in 2011, I've been working in the Civil Engineering field since 2013 (immediately after NYSC) till December 2019, when my contract was terminated. I'm 33 years at the moment and I don't have any travel history, so I have a virgin passport. I was denied US visa in 2003 for my Undergraduate student visa application. I am self sponsored, and I've saved up the required amount for my full program tuition and the living expenses for the 2 years in my bank account which I have pay slips and employment letter during that period to prove.

I just discussed with Maple Education for assistance in my application but I was advised to look for a sponsor, that its not good to go as a self sponsor, and I'm unemployed currently. I don't have any sponsor from my family (the same surname).

Reading through this forum and also your last post, I surmised that I don't have a chance.

What do you think I should do based on your experience so far? I have an admission offer from a UK university too, which is a backup option for me, do you think I stand a chance with this Canadian Visa application?
Hello Juliusdubem,

Thanks for visiting this thread. I think the adviser at Maple is not correct in my own opinion, self sponsor is more credible than a third party sponsor.

Your profile looks credible, and since you already have UK as a back-up, I would encourage you to give it ago...

All the best.

Omofar

Ella25

Mar 4, 2020
Greetings,
I'm new here and I need your help and advice. My mom is getting a student loan on my behalf from her cooperative society. And the cooperative society has already issued out the loan approval letter for me since my mom is one of their members. Do I need any documents to back up the loan approval letter?
Does she need to provide me with letter of support and affidavit?
Can I submit her property documents to show she is capable of refunding the loan on my behalf?

Juliusdubem

Feb 7, 2017
Hello Juliusdubem,

Thanks for visiting this thread. I think the adviser at Maple is not correct in my own opinion, self sponsor is more credible than a third party sponsor.

Your profile looks credible, and since you already have UK as a back-up, I would encourage you to give it ago...

All the best.

Omofar
Thanks a lot for your assistance. I will start my application and cross my fingers.

Naijaboy

Dec 29, 2019
Good day Mr omofar and others who have contributed avidly to make this group a success, its been a while have been on this group so I decided to come online today and saw some posts from other forums which were off track so I need clearity on it guys...

1. In applying for a visa(especially study visa) adding ones list of properties or parents property an example of an application of a boy stating his father has one range Rover model 2020 valued so amount , 4 duplex in banana island valued at 100m....etc does it really count in ones application for a study visa as Robert kiyosaki called those a liabilities.....does it really have any impact on the application like give the application more credibility or give it some ground...so Mr omofar and avid members your response.

2. Is the issue of borrowing money from banks and cooperative society although it had been mentioned here that if you cannot afford studying in canada...go to other countries or better still search for other countries as not to get there and not being able to finance yourself with school fees and other costs and at the end of the day face deportation....but we all know the economy of Nigeria and how people want to badly run out of the country.... imagine tution fees for two year of my stay for a master's program amounts to $50,000 equivalent to 18million naira and a year is $25,000 with tution fees and accomodation and I was able to get a loan of $15,000 from a bank and $10,000 from a cooperative society..... At least have covered a year fees, although visa officer might begin to wonder how he would pay the rest.....so without showing any personal bank statement only loan letters and
well application documents with a well defined statement of purpose pleasing to the vo eye......it's not advisable so I want to know the implications of using loans to process a visa...

PS..am asking a general question for all..

Thanks for all response...

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Good day Mr omofar and others who have contributed avidly to make this group a success, its been a while have been on this group so I decided to come online today and saw some posts from other forums which were off track so I need clearity on it guys...
1. In applying for a visa(especially study visa) adding ones list of properties or parents property e.g one range Rover model 2020 valued so amount , 4 duplex in banana island valued at 100m....etc does it really count in ones application for a study visa as Robert kiyosaki called those a liabilities.....does it really have any impact on the application...so Mr omofar and avid members your response.

2. Is the issue of borrowing money from banks and cooperative society although it had been mentioned here that if you cannot afford studying in canada...go to other countries or better still search for other countries as not to get there and not being able to finance yourself with school fees and other costs and at the end of the day face deportation....but we all know the economy of Nigeria and how people want to badly run out of the country.... imagine tution fees for two year of my stay for a master's program amounts to $50,000 equivalent to 18million naira and a year is $25,000 with tution fees and accomodation and I was able to get a loan of $15,000 from a bank and $10,000 from a cooperative society..... At least have covered a year fees, although visa officer might begin to wonder how he would pay the rest.....so without showing any personal bank statement only loan letters and
well application documents with a well defined statement of purpose pleasing to the vo eye......it's not advisable so I want to know the implications of using loans to process a visa...

1. The items in No.1 are not liquid funds, you can't pay tuition and living expenses with a car or houses.
2. If you can't demonstrate that there will be an income in the future to fund your schooling, and having used loans to cover the first year, I can't really see a SA being approved. You or your parents have assets, but no real funds of your/their own.

Reactions: Naijaboy and Omofar

Naijaboy

Dec 29, 2019
Hi

1. The items in No.1 are not liquid funds, you can't pay tuition and living expenses with a car or houses.
2. If you can't demonstrate that there will be an income in the future to fund your schooling, and having used loans to cover the first year, I can't really see a SA being approved. You or your parents have assets, but no real funds of your/their own.
1. Then there is no need to add that to an application so even with or Without liquid funds it does not have any grounds on the application because have seen people on this forum and others stating that they added their parents lands...properties and all, so was like would u get a visa by adding properties.. let's assume ones parent was financially stable and has properties why not just show only his liquid funds alone and put in an application instead of including properties....so judging by your conclusion it doesn't have any grounds even if ones dad is the owner of ShopRite......well noted.

2.sure one would be denied....but using loans from bank..like I want to know the disadvantage....if they were assets, since assets generate money then there would have but liquid funds...but all are liabilities they take money from ones pocket...so showing vo that I borrowed loans to put in an application without any proof of funds to show like what are the effects of this in an application....

Thanks for the response..

Sky00797

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019

1. In applying for a visa(especially study visa) adding ones list of properties or parents property an example of an application of a boy stating his father has one range Rover model 2020 valued so amount , 4 duplex in banana island valued at 100m....etc does it really count in ones application for a study visa as Robert kiyosaki called those a liabilities.....does it really have any impact on the application like give the application more credibility or give it some ground...so Mr omofar and avid members your response.

PS..am asking a general question for all..

*grabs paracetamol after reading**

I will leave this for the Boss , Omofar and others who can understand the questions better.

Reactions: Happiluv

Naijaboy

Dec 29, 2019
*grabs paracetamol after reading**

I will leave this for the Boss , Omofar and others who can understand the questions better.
Good day sky00797 it's been a while... That question has always bothered me about the issue of loans and family properties am sure the manager@mr omofar will have an answer to it..... although @PMM tried to answer it to an extent....but am sure to get the answer I need from this group...

Sky00797

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
Good day sky00797 it's been a while... That question has always bothered me about the issue of loans and family properties am sure the manager@mr omofar will have an answer to it..... although @PMM tried to answer it to an extent....but am sure to get the answer I need from this group...
Being honest, I doubt Omofar can really answer much. It seems like you’ve already made up your mind about your application.
Family property ties only works for applicants below a certain age (eg 22/3). It makes sense that the applicant has to provide his/her parents assets etc to show that in any case of emergency, there’s something to hold on too.

However, someone for eg (28/30) and above applying for a masters with his/her parents or relatives assets looks a bit dodgy. It is expected that the applicant should already have some savings/assets from previous jobs.
The whole point of a masters degree is actually to master in a particular field based on your previous work experience. Eg: A neurologist going to master or learn more skills that could help further his/her career.

Its just that most Nigerians or Africans see applying for masters as a way of immigrating and not necessarily because they care for it. You will barely find most white people doing masters. They see it as a huge thing. The lecture hall is always full of international students lmao.

About loans, it depends really. The loan should at least be realistic and deposited via instalments. You cannot be a teacher or retail staff over 5 years in Mazi & Sons and be showing 20m from no where without any detailed explanation. People do loan for the visa obviously and still get approved. It all boils down to how genuine you make the funds look.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: Naijaboy

Naijaboy

Dec 29, 2019
Being honest, I doubt Omofar can really answer much. It seems like you’ve already made up your mind about your application.
Family property ties only works for applicants below a certain age (eg 22/3). It makes sense that the applicant has to provide his/her parents assets etc to show that in any case of emergency, there’s something to hold on too.

However, someone for eg (28/30) and above applying for a masters with his/her parents or relatives assets looks a bit dodgy. It is expected that the applicant should already have some savings/assets from previous jobs.
The whole point of a masters degree is actually to master in a particular field based on your previous work experience. Eg: A neurologist going to master or learn more skills that could help further his/her career.

Its just that most Nigerians or Africans see applying for masters as a way of immigrating and not necessarily because they care for it. You will barely find most white people doing masters. They see it as a huge thing. The lecture hall is always full of international students lmao.

About loans, it depends really. The loan should at least be realistic and deposited via instalments. You cannot be a teacher or retail staff over 5 years in Mazi & Sons and be showing 20m from no where without any detailed explanation. People do loan for the visa obviously and still get approved. It all boils down to how genuine you make the funds look.

I hope this helps!
Lolz am still a young undergraduate oo so assets gives one a leverage....thanks sky knew was gonna get an appropriate answer....sure everyone wan japa but Corona virus don dey restrict movement...

Ay3.14159

Mar 16, 2020
Greetings!

If you are interested in hearing the truth, and still ready to proceed despite the challenges, you are welcome here. If you want to be pampered, please go elsewhere.

I am here offer advise to anyone who is Nigerian and needs assistance in navigating the dangerous waters of Canadian study permit application. Identify what the problem might be and how to possibly over come them.

It would be better to come here before you apply, rather than after you have applied, it might be too late to assist you then. Also, never rush to put in an application, if you are rejected once, your chances of being rejected a second time increases by about 60-70%.

Looking forward to assisting anyone with question here.

You are welcome.

Cheers
Hi
I'm currently in the process of filling out my application for a study permit. I have some concerns.
1. I downloaded the checklist for Nigerian applicants and noticed a disparity between the checklist and the required documents. Though I have uploaded all the documents on the form I'm worried it's not correct.
2. I studied guidance and counseling in the university but I have an loa from Humber college for a diploma in computer networking. I see on the checklist that I am supposed to upload a transcript from my university does this apply to my situation. Also is my NYSC discharge certificate necessary
3. How necessary is the letter of explanation? I don't see it among required documents or the checklist for Nigerian applicants. Can I have a successful application without one?
I know some of these things seem obvious but I just wanted to be sure before I submitted my application. Thanks I hope for a speedy reply.

Naijaboy

Dec 29, 2019
Hi
I'm currently in the process of filling out my application for a study permit. I have some concerns.
1. I downloaded the checklist for Nigerian applicants and noticed a disparity between the checklist and the required documents. Though I have uploaded all the documents on the form I'm worried it's not correct.
2. I studied guidance and counseling in the university but I have an loa from Humber college for a diploma in computer networking. I see on the checklist that I am supposed to upload a transcript from my university does this apply to my situation. Also is my NYSC discharge certificate necessary
3. How necessary is the letter of explanation? I don't see it among required documents or the checklist for Nigerian applicants. Can I have a successful application without one?
I know some of these things seem obvious but I just wanted to be sure before I submitted my application. Thanks I hope for a speedy reply.
Mr ay3 good day and I wish you best of luck on filling your application..have read your post..

1. The checklist does not really give you a clear insight on all documents you need to upload...it doesn't state you need a letter of explanation which you do....but since you are going with an online application you would be notified on which documents are necessary to upload...

2.when you meant you studied guidance and counselling from a university and I assume you came up with a bachelor degree and you want to go for a diploma program in computer networking, that's a red flag....vo would question that thinking why would a bachelor degree holder want to go for a diploma in another program different from past studies and you might end up with a refusal...and yes you are meant to upload your university transcripts if you wish to study at Humber college..

3.it is really necessary you put the LOE cause it explains the major things you can't explain one on one to the visa officer like why you are going to canda, why the program, motivation to return to father's land...so it 100% compulsory..and having a successful application without it the odds are low..

Lastly if all what you stated in your thread above is what you are about doing...then you might have difficulty in getting a visa as you might get a reject probably stating your intended program is not in light of your previous studies....so if you are really keen on going to Canada I'll suggest you talk to Mr omafar on other ways possible to immigrate to Canada...

Wish you all the best in your application.

Last edited: