+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Sky00797

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
Ive read every word on this thread which consists 1829 posts

Omafor you are a legend

I wish the thread would have been changed to study challenges for African students

whatever the case, its an eye opener and now that I've read and understood everything, I guess will start preparations since I've not yet applied, but working on 3 main areas of focus as per Omafor's suggestion:

1. clear purpose of visit
2. ability to fund the visit and
3. clear intention to return to one's own country upon completion of studies.

Got a new passport, old passport (which had extensive travel history) was withdrawn by the Govt (not sure if both should be presented or just the new one.

Next step will be looking for DLI's that will also assist on the post graduate "PR"

Also which states/provinces have better job prospects ? Inna do LLM

That said, my initial priorities (based on PR) were

1. Canada
2. US
3. Republic of Ireland
4. UK
5. Scandinavia
6. Australia
7. New Zealand

Personal bank account has $50k

Sponsor is an UHNWI and can show source of funds
Please remove U.K. and Ireland from the PR list except you get a 5 years work visa and some other minor requirements.
Now getting that 5 years work visa is the issue. Even if an employer wants you hired , the requirements are difficult. From a ridiculous minimum salary to explaining why you’re favourable over British / EU applicants . If you find the job etc , most companies 90% only offer you 3 years but if you’re good , they will retain you. Ireland has its own troubles too & it’s ridiculously expensive.

Regardless I will always pick the UK over Canada. With the Brexit now, there’s a better chance of getting a post grad job .
Goodluck

highphy

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
Please remove U.K. and Ireland from the PR list except you get a 5 years work visa and some other minor requirements.
Now getting that 5 years work visa is the issue. Even if an employer wants you hired , the requirements are difficult. From a ridiculous minimum salary to explaining why you’re favourable over British / EU applicants . If you find the job etc , most companies 90% only offer you 3 years but if you’re good , they will retain you. Ireland has its own troubles too & it’s ridiculously expensive.

Regardless I will always pick the UK over Canada. With the Brexit now, there’s a better chance of getting a post grad job .
Goodluck
you really have a solid point here... i read it some few weeks ago that UK is gonna start giving 2years PGWP like Canada, but i actually dont know when they are going to start... i think next year hopefully... lets wait and see

Reactions: Omofar

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ive read every word on this thread which consists 1829 posts

Omafor you are a legend

I wish the thread would have been changed to study challenges for African students

whatever the case, its an eye opener and now that I've read and understood everything, I guess will start preparations since I've not yet applied, but working on 3 main areas of focus as per Omafor's suggestion:

1. clear purpose of visit
2. ability to fund the visit and
3. clear intention to return to one's own country upon completion of studies.

Got a new passport, old passport (which had extensive travel history) was withdrawn by the Govt (not sure if both should be presented or just the new one.

Next step will be looking for DLI's that will also assist on the post graduate "PR"

Also which states/provinces have better job prospects ? Inna do LLM

That said, my initial priorities (based on PR) were

1. Canada
2. US
3. Republic of Ireland
4. UK
5. Scandinavia
6. Australia
7. New Zealand

Personal bank account has $50k

Sponsor is an UHNWI and can show source of funds
Dear Milesdavies,

Thank you for your kind words, you are most welcomed.

I believe you when you say you have read everyone... That is what lawyers do, I presume you are one since your are going for LLM..

Please anyone new here should try and follow @milsedavies' example... Many people want to pursue post-grad studies, they are not ready to do any form of research, they only want short cut or someone to do it for them...

There is sufficient resource on this thread to help you evaluate yourself and your chances of getting your application available.. make use of it and empower yourself...

Only contact me personally if you can't be bothered and are ready to do the needful..Other than that, I will no longer be responding to DMs and emails asking for further assistance without being ready to do the needful.

All the best.

Omofar

Tobi7070#

Jan 26, 2020
Greetings!

If you are interested in hearing the truth, and still ready to proceed despite the challenges, you are welcome here. If you want to be pampered, please go elsewhere.

I am here offer advise to anyone who is Nigerian and needs assistance in navigating the dangerous waters of Canadian study permit application. Identify what the problem might be and how to possibly over come them.

It would be better to come here before you apply, rather than after you have applied, it might be too late to assist you then. Also, never rush to put in an application, if you are rejected once, your chances of being rejected a second time increases by about 60-70%.

Looking forward to assisting anyone with question here.

You are welcome.

Cheers[/QUOT

A very wonderful and honest piece of write up.
I am a UK deportee for almost 4 years now, living in Nigeria.
I do have a complicated issues and personal travelling history as I have stated above and I will like you to tell me the chance I may have applying to study in Canada.
I have an OND IN Accounting and finance lower credit.
I need your honest advice, and if I need you to sort out this whole admission process, what I am looking at, and what chances do I have ?
Please I will appreciate your prompt response.
You can contact me directly on WhatsApp or email me directly then I will give you my phone contact. oladeleajagun@yahoo.com

Thanks God bless

Tobi7070#

Jan 26, 2020
A very wonderful and honest piece of write up.
I am a UK deportee for almost 4 years now, living in Nigeria.
I do have a complicated issues and personal travelling history as I have stated above and I will like you to tell me the chance I may have applying to study in Canada.
I have an OND IN Accounting and finance lower credit.
I need your honest advice, and if I need you to sort out this whole admission process, and engage your services, what am I looking at, and what chances do I have ?
Please I will appreciate your prompt response.
You can contact me directly on WhatsApp or email me directly then I will give you my phone contact. oladeleajagun@yahoo.com

Sky00797

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
Dear Milesdavies,

Thank you for your kind words, you are most welcomed.

I believe you when you say you have read everyone... That is what lawyers do, I presume you are one since your are going for LLM..

Please anyone new here should try and follow @milsedavies' example... Many people want to pursue post-grad studies, they are not ready to do any form of research, they only want short cut or someone to do it for them...

There is sufficient resource on this thread to help you evaluate yourself and your chances of getting your application available.. make use of it and empower yourself...

Only contact me personally if you can't be bothered and are ready to do the needful..Other than that, I will no longer be responding to DMs and emails asking for further assistance without being ready to do the needful.

All the best.

Omofar
Well said . Most people just want the easy way . If you actually take your time to read through the thread , you will find the answer to your question . Even when you help and it works out , very few comes back to appreciate. They just disappear . So please if you’re not ready to do the needful, or read through the thread , keep your case & rest .

Having said this , I have an advise . Please this is my personal opinion, don’t try to argue with your keyboard.
To whom it may concern , please note that Citizenship or living abroad is not a pass mark to life . Most people have this citizenship but are seriously suffering . Have you not seen all this American uncles that come back to Africa looking very miserable ? What is the essence of having citizenship without being valuable or enjoying life as supposed ?

please and please Invest in yourself!!! If you’re going for masters , go and read it well and get that degree . If you don’t find post graduate job , advance to phd . THERE IS NO WAY YOU WONT GET POST GRAD JOB WITH AN OUTSTANDING MASTER DEGREE OR PHD .

With an outstanding master degree , you can get funding or scholarship for PHD . PHD is 4 years . After PHD you usually get 2-3 years stay back . If your research or thesis is superb , companies will look for you . ( it’s from someone’s PhD research that DNA analysis came about , which is now worth $4.8B) . After 5 years of work In most countries , you can apply for the desired permanent residence . All this will be because you INVESTED in yourself and forgot about all this stay back wahala. If you go to Europe that is affordable for example , try to learn another language! During your one year of job search, work plenty hours and save money , build your experience & CV so that if job doesn’t come , you can advance to another country for PHD or remain there if you like the environment.

Before the end of this decade, masters may not be valued as it is now . What happens when supply is higher than demand ?. That’s why bachelors is almost “outdated” now since EVERYONE HAS IT. In the early 2000’s or 1900’s , you had an advantage with a Bsc over others .So as you’re progressing in whatever you’re doing ,develop yourself and skills . Don’t just go and read masters for the certificate. Read it to understand. Learn new languages. Learn new cultures. Build your work experience. Increase your IQ. The sky will be your limit .

Two of my friends applied to ECOWAS sometime last year . One was selected over the other . Why? She was fluent in french . She actually took french classes during her studies . She invested in that and it paid out .

So life has more to give than just degree or certificate. By the time you get PHD from a good university and your research is outstanding, you will have an advantage over other applicants.

So whether you go to Congo o , Chad o , France o , Poland o , Iran o , do it for yourself because you want to do it and not because of “stay back” . Don’t go there with the intention of getting married to a citizen , it’s not right and shouldn’t be . Most people just apply to universities without checking their international recognition or ranking . They just want to leave Nigeria immediately at all cost . At the end , it comes back to you . Getting a degree from a low grade uni won’t take you far and that’s a waste of your resources/time . ALWAYS RESEARCH. Check how good the university is at the course you intend to study . Check their graduate employability rate , just check!! Stop asking people , open google & check!!

I have a lot to say but I need to have my dinner . So if you can , reflect on this and make the best decision.
Goodluck !!

highphy

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
Well said . Most people just want the easy way . If you actually take your time to read through the thread , you will find the answer to your question . Even when you help and it works out , very few comes back to appreciate. They just disappear . So please if you’re not ready to do the needful, or read through the thread , keep your case & rest .

Having said this , I have an advise . Please this is my personal opinion, don’t try to argue with your keyboard.
To whom it may concern , please note that Citizenship or living abroad is not a pass mark to life . Most people have this citizenship but are seriously suffering . Have you not seen all this American uncles that come back to Africa looking very miserable ? What is the essence of having citizenship without being valuable or enjoying life as supposed ?

please and please Invest in yourself!!! If you’re going for masters , go and read it well and get that degree . If you don’t find post graduate job , advance to phd . THERE IS NO WAY YOU WONT GET POST GRAD JOB WITH AN OUTSTANDING MASTER DEGREE OR PHD .

With an outstanding master degree , you can get funding or scholarship for PHD . PHD is 4 years . After PHD you usually get 2-3 years stay back . If your research or thesis is superb , companies will look for you . ( it’s from someone’s PhD research that DNA analysis came about , which is now worth $4.8B) . After 5 years of work In most countries , you can apply for the desired permanent residence . All this will be because you INVESTED in yourself and forgot about all this stay back wahala. If you go to Europe that is affordable for example , try to learn another language! During your one year of job search, work plenty hours and save money , build your experience & CV so that if job doesn’t come , you can advance to another country for PHD or remain there if you like the environment.

Before the end of this decade, masters may not be valued as it is now . What happens when supply is higher than demand ?. That’s why bachelors is almost “outdated” now since EVERYONE HAS IT. In the early 2000’s or 1900’s , you had an advantage with a Bsc over others .So as you’re progressing in whatever you’re doing ,develop yourself and skills . Don’t just go and read masters for the certificate. Read it to understand. Learn new languages. Learn new cultures. Build your work experience. Increase your IQ. The sky will be your limit .

Two of my friends applied to ECOWAS sometime last year . One was selected over the other . Why? She was fluent in french . She actually took french classes during her studies . She invested in that and it paid out .

So life has more to give than just degree or certificate. By the time you get PHD from a good university and your research is outstanding, you will have an advantage over other applicants.

So whether you go to Congo o , Chad o , France o , Poland o , Iran o , do it for yourself because you want to do it and not because of “stay back” . Don’t go there with the intention of getting married to a citizen , it’s not right and shouldn’t be . Most people just apply to universities without checking their international recognition or ranking . They just want to leave Nigeria immediately at all cost . At the end , it comes back to you . Getting a degree from a low grade uni won’t take you far and that’s a waste of your resources/time . ALWAYS RESEARCH. Check how good the university is at the course you intend to study . Check their graduate employability rate , just check!! Stop asking people , open google & check!!

I have a lot to say but I need to have my dinner . So if you can , reflect on this and make the best decision.
Goodluck !!
thumbs up for this write up... its well detailed..