+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Challenges for Nigerian Applicants

Sky00797

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
you have really mentioned everything he needs to put into consideration...
Yes people need to actually understand why they’re moving to Canada . Most people are naive (I was too earlier this year). Getting to Canada is not the only issue , surviving there is . Imagine spending millions to study & you’re jobless or doing a menial work? Nigerians believe that once you get there , your PR will be waiting for you after 3 years. They barely even take out time to research the process of obtaining a PR. You have to meet certain requirements like minimum salary required , sufficient finance etc . Also depends on the province of residence . I know people there 5-8 years & they’re still not able to apply for it .

In regards to the previous post , education can only get you a teaching job or something close. Now imagine a country where English is top notch (except Quebec), what are the chances of employing an immigrant that had to use ielts to prove his english to teach in english there (also with barely any work experience). Plus you know that even if you get 9 points in your ielts , we Africans mostly still have our accent ? Then you consider racism etc. He doesn’t want to spend $9k per semester on education & come out struggling to find a job that will meet the salary requirement needed. Except he has plans to relocate to China etc where English teachers are always needed.

I may be wrong too cuz everyone got different luck . Just my opinion xx

Reactions: milesdavis

highphy

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
Yes people need to actually understand why they’re moving to Canada . Most people are naive (I was too earlier this year). Getting to Canada is not the only issue , surviving there is . Imagine spending millions to study & you’re jobless or doing a menial work? Nigerians believe that once you get there , your PR will be waiting for you after 3 years. They barely even take out time to research the process of obtaining a PR. You have to meet certain requirements like minimum salary required , sufficient finance etc . Also depends on the province of residence . I know people there 5-8 years & they’re still not able to apply for it .

In regards to the previous post , education can only get you a teaching job or something close. Now imagine a country where English is top notch (except Quebec), what are the chances of employing an immigrant that had to use ielts to prove his english to teach in english there (also with barely any work experience). Plus you know that even if you get 9 points in your ielts , we Africans mostly still have our accent ? Then you consider racism etc. He doesn’t want to spend $9k per semester on education & come out struggling to find a job that will meet the salary requirement needed. Except he has plans to relocate to China etc where English teachers are always needed.

I may be wrong too cuz everyone got different luck . Just my opinion xx
you are actually very right sir/ma... i had a degree in English Education, i came straight to Dubai and didn't even bother to go for NYSC. i tried to look for job as a teacher unfortunately, they all wanted a native speaker to teach English and not someone who has English as the second language... sorry for the long note, am just trying to buttress the point made by my colleague... so its a great risk going to Canada for that course...

my own very question to @Sky00797, right now am working as a safety officer in Dubai and i wish to further like taking a diploma in occupational health and safety course (2years)... will my previous education (BA.Ed English) affect my admission and visa processing in a negative way considering the fact that i wanna have like 3years working experience before i apply... kindly share your thoughts please...

Sky00797

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
you are actually very right sir/ma... i had a degree in English Education, i came straight to Dubai and didn't even bother to go for NYSC. i tried to look for job as a teacher unfortunately, they all wanted a native speaker to teach English and not someone who has English as the second language... sorry for the long note, am just trying to buttress the point made by my colleague... so its a great risk going to Canada for that course...

my own very question to @Sky00797, right now am working as a safety officer in Dubai and i wish to further like taking a diploma in occupational health and safety course (2years)... will my previous education (BA.Ed English) affect my admission and visa processing in a negative way considering the fact that i wanna have like 3years working experience before i apply... kindly share your thoughts please...
Exactly! If you can struggle to get a teaching job in Dubai where English is a second language, imagine Canada ?.

In your case , I couldn’t exactly say . I suppose that your three year work experience is valid enough to explain your change of field . It doesn’t have to relate to your bsc. It’s all about convincing the VO why you’re changing your previous field of study in your SOP.

Then diploma ? Why diploma ? Can you not apply for a masters instead ? In my opinion, diplomas are becoming irrelevant. Some jobs will require a masters degree even with the applicant having a good Bsc. Standards are increasing/moving very fast . Maybe in the next decade , phd will be the in thing required for jobs.

If you think diploma will benefit you more , then goodluck . Just think about your options and the money you’ll spend to acquire that diploma .

thanks xx

Sky00797

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019

Just to support ,

kindly check this course out
Master of Occupational Health and Safety from memorial University of Newfoundland. Tuition is also affordable . Almost the same amount with the diploma (if not same ).
https://www.mun.ca/become/graduate/programs/OccupationalHealthandSafety(OHS).php

highphy

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
Exactly! If you can struggle to get a teaching job in Dubai where English is a second language, imagine Canada ?.

In your case , I couldn’t exactly say . I suppose that your three year work experience is valid enough to explain your change of field . It doesn’t have to relate to your bsc. It’s all about convincing the VO why you’re changing your previous field of study in your SOP.

Then diploma ? Why diploma ? Can you not apply for a masters instead ? In my opinion, diplomas are becoming irrelevant. Some jobs will require a masters degree even with the applicant having a good Bsc. Standards are increasing/moving very fast . Maybe in the next decade , phd will be the in thing required for jobs.

If you think diploma will benefit you more , then goodluck . Just think about your options and the money you’ll spend to acquire that diploma .

thanks xx
thanks for the reply... you have a great point regarding going for masters... i have really think bout it too but the main problem is that my CGPA is not really ok i mean, i had 2nd class lower and is not gonna give me access to master in Canada... or what other options?

Pretty Franca

Star Member
Oct 23, 2019
If you want to study occupational health I will advise you to go to Norway, or Germany, these countries value education, they also want you to learn so you don't have to pay tuition fee, just apply and provide them with all your school documents once they request for it, then save money for accommodation and feeding, you can get study permit easily since their immigration process is not like Canada, Canada is putting up all these dramas because of pr. You can also work in Norway or Germany as a student

highphy

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
If you want to study occupational health I will advise you to go to Norway, or Germany, these countries value education, they also want you to learn so you don't have to pay tuition fee, just apply and provide them with all your school documents once they request for it, then save money for accommodation and feeding, you can get study permit easily since their immigration process is not like Canada, Canada is putting up all these dramas because of pr. You can also work in Norway or Germany as a student
smiles... that PR is the main thing and no one will deny that... Germany is a great country too but to stay after studies is the main problem and also a bit difficult to get a job after studies if someone doesn't have knowledge of their language... is there a way to make that work... i mean staying after studies

Sky00797

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
thanks for the reply... you have a great point regarding going for masters... i have really think bout it too but the main problem is that my CGPA is not really ok i mean, i had 2nd class lower and is not gonna give me access to master in Canada... or what other options?
It depends on the university you’re applying to . Memorial University has a fair acceptance rate . Everyone I know that has applied got admission .

In your case , you can be accepted based on your work experience if you can write your personal statement properly . Like convince them your need to study that course . There’s also a provision to explain what may have affected your BSC GPA. Like loss of relative/friend, health etc .
They also consider that too .
U should be fine

Sky00797

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
You’re right . I know that Norway employs engineering students or people in occupational health . Prolly Germany too .

The only issue is language barrier but you’re not the only one . Just try to learn the basic words and sentences. You will meet Nigerians there too and they will show you how they’re surviving lol .
Germany is tuition free but some English taught courses require certain fees (nothing ridiculous).
Only thing about Germany now is that from next year , you will have to put €10k in blocked acc , instead of the usual €8k .
Nevertheless it’s still your money and you can withdraw monthly when you get there

I don’t know about the PR aspect but I’m sure you get 2 years post study visa in Germany.
Goodluck in whatever you decide.

highphy

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
It depends on the university you’re applying to . Memorial University has a fair acceptance rate . Everyone I know that has applied got admission .

In your case , you can be accepted based on your work experience if you can write your personal statement properly . Like convince them your need to study that course . There’s also a provision to explain what may have affected your BSC GPA. Like loss of relative/friend, health etc .
They also consider that too .
U should be fine
alright... my 3years working experience will be completed so soon...and am gonna try my luck cos right now, everything is based on luck and favour...

highphy

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
You’re right . I know that Norway employs engineering students or people in occupational health . Prolly Germany too .

The only issue is language barrier but you’re not the only one . Just try to learn the basic words and sentences. You will meet Nigerians there too and they will show you how they’re surviving lol .
Germany is tuition free but some English taught courses require certain fees (nothing ridiculous).
Only thing about Germany now is that from next year , you will have to put €10k in blocked acc , instead of the usual €8k .
Nevertheless it’s still your money and you can withdraw monthly when you get there

I don’t know about the PR aspect but I’m sure you get 2 years post study visa in Germany.
Goodluck in whatever you decide.
thanks @Sky00797... your contribution is greatly appreciated... and to my friend @Pretty Franca how is it going with your package... i pray you get the good news soon (Amen)

Reactions: Omofar

Pretty Franca

Star Member
Oct 23, 2019
The funny thing about Canada pr is, you will be looking for how to enter the pool, the scores keep rising, now they cut 475,what the heck, that's too high, instead of waiting for Canada, you can apply for Germany or Norway (Lot of blacks are in Norway) if it means learning their language, you can. Currently I am learning French and in 8 months I can communicate reasonably in French, my husband speaks Arabic, he learnt it in a year, and he is working in sales section, he is the only one that speaks Arabic in his company he is not even a Muslim. What I am saying in essence is, don't limit yourself, you can do all things, if Canada doesn't favor you, try this two countries, it may be the best decision you ever made

Reactions: Kenny12 and Omofar

highphy

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
The funny thing about Canada pr is, you will be looking for how to enter the pool, the scores keep rising, now they cut 475,what the heck, that's too high, instead of waiting for Canada, you can apply for Germany or Norway (Lot of blacks are in Norway) if it means learning their language, you can. Currently I am learning French and in 8 months I can communicate reasonably in French, my husband speaks Arabic, he learnt it in a year, and he is working in sales section, he is the only one that speaks Arabic in his company he is not even a Muslim. What I am saying in essence is, don't limit yourself, you can do all things, if Canada doesn't favor you, try this two countries, it may be the best decision you ever made
475 is just too high mehnnn... well, if its really sure i can wait after the study in those countries and later get a way of bringing my wife and kids... then i have no issues cos thats the most important thing... Family is everything abeg...
i will surely have no options than to learn the language... thanks all for your advice

Pretty Franca

Star Member
Oct 23, 2019
475 is very high, if you have a degree, masters, good ielts, you should be around 430-440,what Canada wants is low skill migrants, they don't want someone who will take over their jobs, recently, Saskatchewan removed all their professional jobs in their immigration program, nurse, doctors, teachers, sales etc they removed them and put butchers, cooks, chef, etc, so that should send a message to you already