+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit - Applying online

lupomar

May 10, 2019
Hi,

I'm trying to understand how to apply online for a study permit for my son that is 16. He will stay in Vancouver next School year from August 2019 to June 2020.
He has the acceptance letter from Kitsilano Secondar School and he has the signed Cunstodianship made with Langara Homestay Program.

I realized that in any case he has to go to Rome to the Embassy to leave his Biometrics. I think that this is simply foulish, we've just came back from NY and in JFK Airport they simply took our Biometrics at the arrival. Now that my son is going to pass one full year as a student in Canada, he has to go to Rome for the Biometrics? Incredible!

Anyway I sign in with GCKey with my son's name, but when I signed in the system wrote:

Welcome ************
You last signed in with your GCKey on Friday, May 10, 2019 at 12:49:31 ET.

From this page you can Change Your Password, Change Your Recovery Questions or Revoke Your GCKey.

To help protect your information, please remember to sign out and close your browser before leaving this computer unattended.

I hve to go on with the study permit, how can I do it?

Please help.

lupomar

May 10, 2019
I finally understand that you need to wait some time (the day after it works) so that the system allows you to go o with a long series of answers to be done. So if you find my isuues wait with patience.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You understand that biometrics collected at the US border for admission to the United States are not the same as biometrics collected at a visa application centre for the use of a Canadian visa application, right? While the process is similar, Canada does not get the biometrics simply because you gave them to another country. In fact, Biometrics collected by Canada are compared to the ones you gave to the US to verify your identity. They must be different.

lupomar

May 10, 2019
You understand that biometrics collected at the US border for admission to the United States are not the same as biometrics collected at a visa application centre for the use of a Canadian visa application, right? While the process is similar, Canada does not get the biometrics simply because you gave them to another country. In fact, Biometrics collected by Canada are compared to the ones you gave to the US to verify your identity. They must be different.
I've just made a comparison with the biometrics that are collected by US on their border.
Why Canada is asking to a 16 Italian Student that was accepted by a Canadian Secondary School and has a regular Custodienship coming in original from Canada with the sign also of a Canadina Notary, to go from Veneto to Rome just to give them the biometrics?
Why can't they simply collect his biometrics when he will reach Canada? Do someone think that after all documentations we are making he is a terrorist? The law they made last year is simply wrong!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I've just made a comparison with the biometrics that are collected by US on their border.
Why Canada is asking to a 16 Italian Student that was accepted by a Canadian Secondary School and has a regular Custodienship coming in original from Canada with the sign also of a Canadina Notary, to go from Veneto to Rome just to give them the biometrics?
Why can't they simply collect his biometrics when he will reach Canada? Do someone think that after all documentations we are making he is a terrorist? The law they made last year is simply wrong!
Sorry, you're wrong.

You have to collect biometrics before the visa is issued. It's the law. People have to do the same kind of stuff to go to the EU.

lupomar

May 10, 2019
Anyway I'm now going on with this complicated study Permit appied online. When it will be finally accepted, my son will go to Rome for the biometrics.

I have a question, if someone please can help me:
He is filling the online application with his name, but you wrote in the guidelines:
You do not need to sign your application form by hand if you submit your application form online. You will be asked to provide a digital signature once you are ready to transmit your documents.

Now we are quite ready to transmit the documents, how can he obtain a digital signature? He is under 18, can you please help us?

lupomar

May 10, 2019
Sorry, you're wrong.

You have to collect biometrics before the visa is issued. It's the law. People have to do the same kind of stuff to go to the EU.
I know that it is the law and that I'm wrong and sorry I don't want to discuss with you that are instead helping me. The only thing that I'm pointing out is that, from my vieuw, this is a wrong law. At least they have to organize some other coolecting points in the Consulates!

lupomar

May 10, 2019
Regarding Proof of Means of Financial Support, they wrote:

Temporary Residents
If you are visiting Canada, you must prove that you can support yourself and the family members who will be with you while you are in Canada. Provide as many of these documents as you can:

• your bank statements for the past four months
  • a bank draft in convertible currency
  • pay stubs
  • an employment letter
  • proof of assets or business
  • proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
  • tax reports, declarations or statements
  • proof of a student/education loan from a financial institution
  • a letter from the person or institution providing you with money
  • proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program
  • proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada
Clearly my 16 son has noone of this documents, but I and my wife can supply bank statemets, pay stubs, ...
Can we do it?
Theay are written in Italian, are they accepted?

Thank you again for your help.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Reactions: lupomar

lupomar

May 10, 2019
And yes you can supply your bank statements they must be in english or french, you also need to provide a letter explaining that you are sponsoring him. There are translation requirements (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5269-applying-study-permit-outside-canada.html)
But it is not clear if it is also for online applications. The document checklist is necerrary to be filled in only for submit the paper applycation, but it is not required for online application.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
But it is not clear if it is also for online applications. The document checklist is necerrary to be filled in only for submit the paper applycation, but it is not required for online application.
Not correct, the requirements are the same for online or paper. Use the paper guide but apply online.

lupomar

May 10, 2019
Update.
I sent the application online, I paid the fees (150 C$ for study permit + 85 C$ for biometrics), all seems work, now I have to wait for a reply or a request for new documents of to modify any document I sent or hopefully, for the study permit.
The day after the sending I receive a message that it was sent and a message that my son has to go to give his biometrics within 30 days to VFS Globan in Viale Regina Margherita, 177 - Rome. I made the reservation online, but it is only better to have it, not necessary.