+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit and Open work permit while waiting for PR?

skatological

Jul 13, 2017
I am currently an international student in Canada on a study permit and am applying for PR through spousal sponsorship. I will be extending my study permit while waiting for the PR, but would also like to apply for an open work permit with the PR application. Can I have a study permit and an open work permit at the same time?

Reactions: arg_m

skatological

Jul 13, 2017
In case anyone else needs this answered, I got through to the IRCC and they confirmed that you can have both at the same time while the PR app is in process.

Mchb0215

Nov 14, 2017
In case anyone else needs this answered, I got through to the IRCC and they confirmed that you can have both at the same time while the PR app is in process.
Hi there,

I actually just posted a thread asking the same question before I saw this. So happy I came across your post.

Not sure if you can advise but I have already submitted my PR application together with an open work permit application. I have not received my AOR as of yet. How should I go about applying for a study permit? Should I just apply separately?

Thanks!

skatological

Jul 13, 2017
Yes, you can just apply separately, online is the fastest option. It might be good to mention your other application in your letter of explanation, but from what I was told it seems like it's a normal thing to do both.

knahiyan

Oct 28, 2014
Hi Guys,

I am very happy to see this post. However, my situation is slightly different. My wife is the primary applicant, and we both are currently international students (study permit valid until Sept 2018), with our PR application is under process (since Sept 2016).

I believe from your post that we both can apply for OWP now without our study permits getting discontinued. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I wanted to know which visa should I apply Open Work Permit or Work permit extensions. And what are the documents that I have to provide.

And can both of us apply at the same time or one after another? Also, will this affect my PR application timelines, was kind of hoping a passport request pretty soon. :(

My application timeline is below.

Paper-based PR application to federal after MPNP>>
Application Sent: Sept 20, 2016
Application Received: Sept 23, 2016
AOR: Dec 22, 2016
Upfront Medical showing passed: 8th Feb, 2017

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I was hoping if someone could respond :|
You may have better luck at the international Student or Provincial Nominee Program Immigration sections of this forum.
The OWP mentioned here is for inland spousal sponsorship (where the sponsor is either a PR or Canadian Citizen). I am not sure if that's possible since both of you are international students.