+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study at the local university and work remotely when you are permanent residents in Canada

Darius666

Oct 23, 2020
Hi, I pretty much need an expert to answer my confusion.

When you are a permanent resident in Canada, can you go to school at the local University as a full-time student (3 courses minimum) and work remotely for 30 hours per week?

My concern is whether going to full-time school and working remotely for 30 hours (full time) is legal when you PR?
I searched for a while, seems no relevant results come up.

Therefore, I am looking for experts to help me.

Regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I pretty much need an expert to answer my confusion.

When you are a permanent resident in Canada, can you go to school at the local University as a full-time student (3 courses minimum) and work remotely for 30 hours per week?

My concern is whether going to full-time school and working remotely for 30 hours (full time) is legal when you PR?
I searched for a while, seems no relevant results come up.

Therefore, I am looking for experts to help me.

Regards
You can do whatever you want once you are a PR.

Reactions: Darius666

Darius666

Oct 23, 2020
Thanks for the reply. Scylla
So it is legal, I can go to the local university as a full-time student, and work remotely for 30 hours per week?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for the reply. Scylla
So it is legal, I can go to the local university as a full-time student, and work remotely for 30 hours per week?
Was there something unclear about the answer above? Seemed pretty clear to me.

The only 'legality' questions would be if there's something illegal about the remote work itself, or you had some commitment to someone not to study and work at the same time (note, can't imagine such an arrangement, except maybe some contractual or scholarship requirement).

Doesn't mean it's a good idea, but if you can handle the work load, have at it.

Reactions: Darius666

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply

Yes, I can handle both.
Assume they realize they have to declare this work on their taxes, any loan documents if they have applied for loans or grants to attend school. Depending on whether they have status on the country they are working, how they are getting paid, etc. they should be speaking to an accountant about how to structure their employment to position themselves in the best way possible in terms of taxation.