+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study at private university, is spouse eligible to apply for open work permit?

May 1, 2021
Hi,

I got acceptance from a private university in BC (master’s degree program). I have some confusions. Hope you can give me some advice.

1. Studying at private university, then is my spouse eligible to apply for open work permit? Or he should apply for visit visa instead?
2. My child also needs to apply for study permit (elementary), then which visa/permit type better fits my spouse considering taking care of the child while I am studying?
3. If my spouse has a job outside of Canada, is he still eligible for open work permit?

Thank you all!

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi,

I got acceptance from a private university in BC (master’s degree program). I have some confusions. Hope you can give me some advice.

1. Studying at private university, then is my spouse eligible to apply for open work permit? Or he should apply for visit visa instead?
2. My child also needs to apply for study permit (elementary), then which visa/permit type better fits my spouse considering taking care of the child while I am studying?
3. If my spouse has a job outside of Canada, is he still eligible for open work permit?

Thank you all!
1. Yes he is eligible for open work permit
2. Open work permit for your spouse, and your child depending on age visitor visa type 10/ study permit that will allow your child to attend elementary
3. Yes he is eligible

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thank you all!
He can apply for an OWP but approval isn't guaranteed which isn't clear to most applicants.

Neha Agarwal

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Hi,

Thank you all!
is it trinity western university?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Also because you didn’t apply for the OWP and visitor visa at the same time as your study permit, if approved, your spouse and child will also need written authorization to travel and show travel is essential.

May 1, 2021
Also because you didn’t apply for the OWP and visitor visa at the same time as your study permit, if approved, your spouse and child will also need written authorization to travel and show travel is essential.
I hear that if OWP is approved, the written authorization will come together. I was wondering how much the chances of success are.