+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study and staying in Canada later on, is it worth it?

Courso

Jul 8, 2017
Hi,

I am planning to go to Ontario for a postgraduate degree next year, not sure if it is going to be masters, but a degree. I was thinking if I stay there for a year or two while doing the degree if I like it I might as well consider staying in there. Is it worth it to do it this way? I have a wife, and I am not sure if I can take her with me.
I also have like 100k savings will that help in any way?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Answer to your question is quite difficult. Different people have different opinion. Of course, Canada is an amazing country. but some folks like it here and some folks do not.
For dependent visa ( for your wife), better keep in mind she will not be joining you for at least a year or two. Canada does not issue dependent visa to international students (for most countries).
100K savings, if it is in CAD, indeed you have enough savings but if it is in INR, it is nothing at all.

Courso

Jul 8, 2017
Answer to your question is quite difficult. Different people have different opinion. Of course, Canada is an amazing country. but some folks like it here and some folks do not.
For dependent visa ( for your wife), better keep in mind she will not be joining you for at least a year or two. Canada does not issue dependent visa to international students (for most countries).
100K savings, if it is in CAD, indeed you have enough savings but if it is in INR, it is nothing at all.

Hi, thanks for your reply. It is in CAD. Will that positively affect my application? Of course it is a total no if it comes to not seeing my wife, but from what I read on the Canadian visa site, supposedly my wife is granted a work visa for the time of my studies. cic .gc. ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp

Anyway, I am coming to Canada for a break this May. If I will like it there I will make my decision, but so far. What do you think is the best option for me if I decide to go?

I am an IT professional, working for myself in London UK for about 6 years, normal income nothing fancy. I graduated from London School of Economics and Political Science.

Last edited:

Gaganpreet_kaur

Star Member
Aug 19, 2017
Hi,

I am planning to go to Ontario for a postgraduate degree next year, not sure if it is going to be masters, but a degree. I was thinking if I stay there for a year or two while doing the degree if I like it I might as well consider staying in there. Is it worth it to do it this way? I have a wife, and I am not sure if I can take her with me.
I also have like 100k savings will that help in any way?
Yes your wife will get the work permit when you study there for 4 or 8 months (not sure between 4 or 8 months) after that u cAn apply for spouse visa for her

Courso

Jul 8, 2017
Yes your wife will get the work permit when you study there for 4 or 8 months (not sure between 4 or 8 months) after that u cAn apply for spouse visa for her
Thanks for your answer. According to my profile as provided above. Do you think it is better for me to apply for the express entry or take the study path?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, thanks for your reply. It is in CAD. Will that positively affect my application? Of course it is a total no if it comes to not seeing my wife, but from what I read on the Canadian visa site, supposedly my wife is granted a work visa for the time of my studies. cic .gc. ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp

Anyway, I am coming to Canada for a break this May. If I will like it there I will make my decision, but so far. What do you think is the best option for me if I decide to go?

I am an IT professional, working for myself in London UK for about 6 years, normal income nothing fancy. I graduated from London School of Economics and Political Science.
Spouse visa ( she will get full time work permit) is not granted right away. And basis experience, it can take anywhere from 6 to 18 months.

U should rather check ur eligibility for express entry. See if u qualify, if u do and once landed here as PR and u still decide to pursue studies, better pay 1/4th of what u will pay as international student.
Are u British citizen or u have indefinite leave to stay?

Courso

Jul 8, 2017
Spouse visa ( she will get full time work permit) is not granted right away. And basis experience, it can take anywhere from 6 to 18 months.

U should rather check ur eligibility for express entry. See if u qualify, if u do and once landed here as PR and u still decide to pursue studies, better pay 1/4th of what u will pay as international student.
Are u British citizen or u have indefinite leave to stay?
I am a British citizen.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Better check your eligibility under Express Entry, its fast and not an expensive way to apply for PR.

Cheers!