+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student who enrolled in University Canada west?

Zr1911

Aug 16, 2020
Can you please share the official link which states that private organisations in canada are not reputated.As this public platform ,if you share some source It will really help us instead of self assessment or assumptions. I appreciate and thank you for the support. Please do share the official source .
Even employers know that getting into top public universities in Canada is quite difficult and that's why students who graduate from these have a significant advantage over those who graduate from universities like UCW and the other so-called colleges.

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Can you please share the official link which states that private organisations in canada are not reputated.As this public platform ,if you share some source It will really help us instead of self assessment or assumptions. I appreciate and thank you for the support. Please do share the official source .
If there was an "official source," I don't think UCW would still be in business. Their model is based on international students not knowing something that anyone who lives in Canada and is familiar with the education system here knows.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
It is a very well known fact that UCW is targeted at international students (especially Indian) that have poor English, low academic credentials and most likely did not do the GMAT. If this sounds like you then you are a good fit for UCW. If not then, it might be time to reassess your options.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Found a "source" for people who insist on one:
Three years ago, Harish Kumar left his home near Jalandhar for Canada, with dreams of a foreign MBA. Two years after graduating from University Canada West (UCW), with an MBA in hand and 20,000 Canadian dollars in debt, he stands behind a Vancouver pizzeria counter seven days a week, taking orders from customers.

“My degree was useless,” Kumar said. “I feel cheated.”

He isn’t alone. Located on one floor of a commercial building, with just eight classrooms in downtown Vancouver, UCW is a part of the Eminata for-profit group of educational institutions. Eminata is chaired by Peter Chung, a man convicted in 1993 in California for defrauding students at a computer school he ran.

And though UCW is recognized by the government of British Columbia, over 30 students, graduates, faculty and former teachers and employees interviewed by HT have alleged that it is a university only in name, and that many of them were duped – charges the varsity has denied vehemently.

Many of these graduates are working as manual laborers, in gas stations or like Kumar in restaurants and bars in Canada – a far cry from the professions they had in mind after an MBA.

Then Eminata sold it to another private firm called Global University Systems:
Managing the new acquisition will be a relative doddle for GUS compared with another purchase earlier this year: University Canada West (UCW), which under its previous ownership had acquired what Obiter believes are known as ‘reputational issues’.

North American industry journal College Times currently has 169 student reviews on its website for UCW, and makes it the worst-rated institution on its database. Indeed, the institution is even described as the ‘worst university in the world’ by one poster.

Further checks find a report from CBC News in 2011 that the university closed a campus without warning days after students had paid for classes.

It was no surprise therefore when new owner GUS tried to restore its acquisition’s reputation with a little ‘brand management’.

College Times last month posted the full content of what it said was an email from Global University Systems’ PR boss, who asked for the current profile of UCW to be ‘updating’ [sic] to reflect its new ownership, the university having started a ‘new chapter in UCW’s story’.

/r/Vancouver also has thoughts...
I have never heard of this school.

Diploma Mill

Go to a real school if you can.

It's a private school that does not have a reputation for "quality".

Website address shows at 626 West Pender. Shared by 3 other educational institutions...

Immigration scheme fronting at a school.

• Haha
Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
May be you are right . I worked with biggest firms like microsoft Fannie JP Morgan etc. Never saw such situations. May be yours and mine experience is different. Let's hope for best. And thnks for concern
Why don't you just skip an MBA completely then, and apply for jobs in Canada on the strength of your experience at these "biggest firms"? If you are going to use an MBA qualification from Canada to apply for jobs in Canada, then you better do your due diligence and make sure you pick the right school that will give you the best chance in the face of stringent competition. Take the free advice that has been doled out to you by the veterans on here.

Why are you intent on UCW, when there are better, cheaper, more recognised alternative? Perhaps you were unable to meet their requirements? If that is the case, then just come and say it so we understand your full situation.

Reactions: primaprime

MunnaIndia

Sep 22, 2020
Surely I will share my experience with resources .so that
If there was an "official source," I don't think UCW would still be in business. Their model is based on international students not knowing something that anyone who lives in Canada and is familiar with the education system here knows.
There is the official source stating that it has accreditation from British Columbia Ministry of Advance Education,Skills & Training and carries the Education Quality Assurance (EQA). You can check the website of BCM.
Why don't you just skip an MBA completely then, and apply for jobs in Canada on the strength of your experience at these "biggest firms"? If you are going to use an MBA qualification from Canada to apply for jobs in Canada, then you better do your due diligence and make sure you pick the right school that will give you the best chance in the face of stringent competition. Take the free advice that has been doled out to you by the veterans on here.

Why are you intent on UCW, when there are better, cheaper, more recognised alternative? Perhaps you were unable to meet their requirements? If that is the case, then just come and say it so we understand your full situation.
You are guiding me without knowing my profile. My intention is for MBA is not for jobs . I have two successful companies and looking to learn few more skills for my ad on to make progress globally. I truly understand your frustrations but I don't understand why you are taking it so personal. I wish to add some references which can help you clear your misunderstanding of recognition and reputation concepts.

Ucw is accredited by BC Ministry of Advanced Education,Skills & Training and carries the Education Quality Assurance (EQA)

https://bccie.bc.ca/sites/bccie_society/files/aboutEQA.pdf

Any University need to maintain the standards to get accreditation . Hope the above links gives you clear understanding avoiding your misconceptions . I request you to provide the info based on facts rather than your personal opinion so that it helps the people and avoids the misleading.

My free advice is "Don't run after success, Run after excellence and Success will follow you" hope this free advice helps you to relief from your frustrations..

I am stopping this conversation for this thread as its zero productive for others.

Good luck and All the best.

MunnaIndia

Sep 22, 2020
Even employers know that getting into top public universities in Canada is quite difficult and that's why students who graduate from these have a significant advantage over those who graduate from universities like UCW and the other so-called colleges.
Though students from so-called colleges are taking advantage, employers will screen and hire people . With just having a good degree from good University but not able to clear the screening for the employers requirement will not be usefull. Moreover employers will not assume and speak in air without evidence. Employers can understand what is accreditation and standards, which University is accredited which is not.

You can consider the UCW or other so-called colleges are not worth off. But please try to understand the fact and guide through reality.With your innocense and incomplete knowledge through your self low assessment you might have missed the good schools . But don't mislead others in these platform. If you have anything please share the sources rather than speaking in air.

I am stopping to continue replying further as it makes no sense or helpful for other. As you may belong to top public universities hope you understand and stop prolonging these discussions.

Good luck and All the best

MunnaIndia

Sep 22, 2020
It is a very well known fact that UCW is targeted at international students (especially Indian) that have poor English, low academic credentials and most likely did not do the GMAT. If this sounds like you then you are a good fit for UCW. If not then, it might be time to reassess your options.
Even the international students who got thier degree from USA are exempted from ielts requirement.If you have professional experience more than 5 years most of the international students doesn't need GMAT. I guess you are not one of them . So you may not fit for UCW. Don't underestimate indians not only indians any other nationality. I am sorry to expect that dignity and respect. Most of the biggest IT companies like Microsoft ,Google which you use more often CEO are indians .This platform won't be enough to understand you. I hope you are from well educated and well-mannered background. So let's maintain our dignity and self respect stopping these conversations instead of valuable information. I am stopping to reply further as it will not help anyone. But if you are not from above mentioned background you can keep on replying proving your original ethics.

God bless

Reactions: Fizhér and Aman_S

MunnaIndia

Sep 22, 2020
Ha ha ha You still got stuck in 2011.This is 2020.Even you might have got more mature in these 9 years. Even IRCC has made lot changes from then to now. It's fine you can continue to follow those old news and forget about the present. Wish you good luck to get updated soon . Share the present situations and sources which can help people . Thanks and good luck

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Ha ha ha You still got stuck in 2011.This is 2020.Even you might have got more mature in these 9 years. Even IRCC has made lot changes from then to now. It's fine you can continue to follow those old news and forget about the present. Wish you good luck to get updated soon . Share the present situations and sources which can help people . Thanks and good luck
I don't think the Reddit post from last month is old news lol. The founder of UCW was a major donor to the previous BC government, so of course they were happy to accredit his diploma mill. Accreditation is meaningless. Reputation is what matters in business, and no employer in Canada will take a UCW MBA over one from Rotman, Ivey, Schulich, Sauder, or Desautels—real, public universities that don't admit just anyone.

But anyways, since you already seem to know all the answers, go ahead and waste your money there. I suppose people in other countries may be fooled by any shiny object that says "Canada" on it.

MunnaIndia

Sep 22, 2020
I don't think the Reddit post from last month is old news lol. The founder of UCW was a major donor to the previous BC government, so of course they were happy to accredit his diploma mill. Accreditation is meaningless. Reputation is what matters in business, and no employer in Canada will take a UCW MBA over one from Rotman, Ivey, Schulich, Sauder, or Desautels—real, public universities that don't admit just anyone.

But anyways, since you already seem to know all the answers, go ahead and waste your money there. I suppose people in other countries may be fooled by any shiny object that says "Canada" on it.
Ha ha ha good one. Thanks for concern about my money. Just gaining certificate and hanging in the neck doesn't help to get job. Just don't run back of Job or success ,run behind the excellence.. success will follow you..just don't go by name and fame ...go with course structure and market to adapt.I don't know that the founder of ucw is donor of previous BC government. As brilliant people like you knows in depth of it out of other colleges in canada ,it makes sense that it's recognised. Still I don't understand how come it stands at 81 rank ... Strange...

Whether I am wasting my money or your wasting the time to defend your past experience with ucw I am not sure. Anyways good luck in your ways. I don't want to prolong this discussion as its worthless and not having any valuable info. I believe you are from the Top TOP Top University student so I expect it will not continue if you don't belong to it. Go ahead and speak whatever you like to prove urself.

Good luck and Bye

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Ha ha ha good one. Thanks for concern about my money. Just gaining certificate and hanging in the neck doesn't help to get job. Just don't run back of Job or success ,run behind the excellence.. success will follow you..just don't go by name and fame ...go with course structure and market to adapt.I don't know that the founder of ucw is donor of previous BC government. As brilliant people like you knows in depth of it out of other colleges in canada ,it makes sense that it's recognised. Still I don't understand how come it stands at 81 rank ... Strange...

Whether I am wasting my money or your wasting the time to defend your past experience with ucw I am not sure. Anyways good luck in your ways. I don't want to prolong this discussion as its worthless and not having any valuable info. I believe you are from the Top TOP Top University student so I expect it will not continue if you don't belong to it. Go ahead and speak whatever you like to prove urself.

Good luck and Bye
Even assuming this website is some legitimate ranking, you think a rank of 81 is good?

Zr1911

Aug 16, 2020

Good luck and Bye
There are only 100 universities in Canada. So, 81/100 is not a good number and don't worry if you feel it is good for you then go for it all the best.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020

Good luck and Bye
I find it really funny how you engage in sarcasm and digs and at the end say God Bless or Good luck and then proceed to do it again!

trupti kongi

Star Member
Oct 3, 2016
Students who enrolled in University Canada west Vancouver BC please ping here
Hey.. I have enrolled for MBA program in UCW. I did my share of research and then applied for this program, it ticks all the requirements to get the visa. Is your visa approved. If yes, then could you please share the timeline.
Thank you!