App. Filed.......
Sep 19, 2019
IELTS Request
Not required
Student visa denied on the following grounds:

1) VO is not satisfied that I will leave Canada at the end of my studies
2) Purpose of visit (?)
3) Current employment situation
4) VO is not satisfied with my activities since 2007; therefore considers me a non-genuine student rendering me inadmissible

It is a big disappointment being a genuine student. :'( I did provide them my employment details (without a proof) since they wanted either mime or parents employment proof but these days I don't have a job.
Can I reapply on the same acceptance letter or shall I wait for the next admissions (next year)

Please help me how I can rectify those points.

evolvingfaith

Jul 22, 2011
Islamabad, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2011
IELTS Request
Not needed, took the GRE
Med's Request
28-07-2011
Med's Done....
30-07-2011 (results forwarded to New Delhi on 05-08-2011)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Stamped 12-08-2011; Valid Till 12-08-2015; Picked up on 18-08-2011 (Total Process Took 8 Weeks)
LANDED..........
Hoping to land on 09-09-2011
Sorry to hear that, man. The CHC is just really tough these days on Pakistanis.

Here is how I established my intention to return on the application:

1) Showed my employment contracts with the university where I've been teaching in Pakistan

2) Wrote a very strong statement of purpose explaining why I want to study at the program I've chosen in Canada (if you want, I can send it to you via e-mail) -- I also used my statement to point out that I had previously studied abroad and returned to Pakistan to work here afterwards

3) Showed letters of recommendation from two professors at my university including the head of my department saying that they wanted me to complete the degree and re-join the faculty (these kinds of letters need not be guarantees of future employment per se, but they do show that employment prospects exist for you in your home country -- so try to get a letter from a prospective employer)

4) Showed proof of my parents' property in Islamabad, and explained that this is where I had lived most of my life

You absolutely *have* to show proper proof of present or past employment for yourself and your parents. I showed my own contracts and my parents' contracts as well.

Btw, I am also technically unemployed these days, as my uni said that they could not renew my contract because I was planning to start the PhD this fall. They will re-hire me if the visa gets refused ultimately (hopefully not), but without a guarantee from my end that I was going to teach this fall, they would not have renewed the contract. I just explained this on my application (and had my supervisors explain it on their letters of recommendation), and mentioned that I was doing some unpaid volunteer work this summer. So if you're unemployed, just give them a plausible explanation for it.

Ask your uni if they can defer your admission to the next semester and try re-applying.

evolvingfaith

Jul 22, 2011
Islamabad, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2011
IELTS Request
Not needed, took the GRE
Med's Request
28-07-2011
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
Stamped 12-08-2011; Valid Till 12-08-2015; Picked up on 18-08-2011 (Total Process Took 8 Weeks)
LANDED..........
I'm not sure what the VO means by your activities since 2007 ... can you elaborate?

evolvingfaith

Jul 22, 2011
Islamabad, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2011
IELTS Request
Not needed, took the GRE
Med's Request
28-07-2011
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Things you need to address in your Statement of Purpose (to make the purpose of your visit clear):

1. What you've studied in the past and details of your career in Pakistan
2. What program you want to attend in Canada and why
3. Why you do not want to attend any similar program in Pakistan
4. Why you want to study in Canada and not in any other country
5. How your previous education is relevant to your proposed program in Canada (explain any apparent mismatches if required)
6. Your long-term academic and career goals, and what training your proposed program in Canada will give you that you can apply in Pakistan
7. Ties with home country that will give you a reason to return to Pakistan (institutions you could work at, projects you could participate in, research you could conduct, etc. etc.) -- it's crucial to show how studying in Canada will improve your employment opportunities in your home country
8. Name any specific references before you conclude -- I named a number of prospective supervisors/employers/colleagues with whom I could collaborate in Pakistan

ramzero

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2011
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Sept-11
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
Waiting
Interview........
Waived
loudnclear you apply from karachi ?
and when you received your documents ?

LoudNClear

Star Member
Aug 8, 2011
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
Sep 19, 2019
IELTS Request
Not required
Thank you so much evolvingfaith for your reply. It was really helpful indeed. From your suggestion it is no hard to guess why I was rejected:

I did not provided my past employment proof
I did not attached a letter from a prospective employer
I Did not provide the property papers of my residence which is actually been gifted to me by my parents along with another residential plot in DHA.

I thought my case was quite strong because:

My papers were complete and as per the requirements provided on CHC Islamabad website.
I did write a strong SOP to convince VO that I'll come back after my studies. I'll send you via email and love to see your SOP. Some of the points you suggested regarding SOP I'll incorporate next time. Please send me yours if it doesn't bother you at (jahanzeb_h@msn.com)
Both my parents are educated (master degree holder - employment proof of parents attached with application)
I am the only child to my parents which leaves me with sufficient funds for my studies ahead and a plus point for the Canada that I wont be calling in siblings
I was honest and never hid / misrepresented anything
My university is in Vancouver (SFU) and not somewhere in Toronto where most students go from subcontinent.

How can university defer my admission to next term as the student intake is based yearly; still I am going to request them for a deferral.
I discovered this really nice forum recently. If I knew you and other friends here before applying, maybe I was never rejected
Thank you once again man! :)

Reactions: Warda.akram

LoudNClear

Star Member
Aug 8, 2011
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
Sep 19, 2019
IELTS Request
Not required
ramzero said:
loudnclear you apply from karachi ?
and when you received your documents ?
hey man, I applied from Lahore.

I received call from Gerrys today (August 15) in the morning and collected my documents around 12 noon
what about you man? you haven't received any call to collect papers? Good luck anyway I wish you are through! :)

ramzero

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2011
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Sept-11
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
Waiting
Interview........
Waived
LoudNClear said:
hey man, I applied from Lahore.

I received call from Gerrys today (August 15) in the morning and collected my documents around 12 noon
what about you man? you haven't received any call to collect papers? Good luck anyway I wish you are through! :)
yeah dude i applied on 11th June and still waiting for call from Visatronix . .
at same date another person also applied and he received his document on Saturday . .
and my documents is still in transit . . time is running out and having faith in Allah what ever comes will be better . .

evolvingfaith

Jul 22, 2011
Islamabad, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2011
IELTS Request
Not needed, took the GRE
Med's Request
28-07-2011
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Jahanzeb, I'll just send you my statement -- but please don't share it with anyone and don't make it available on the Internet, because I'm not going to remove my personal details from it. Is that okay?

I think you can get away with only showing parents' employment and not your own IF you are young, but if you are 25+ it's important to show proof of your own work experience in Pakistan. The older you are, the more of an immigration risk they think you are and so you need to do some more work to explain why you will return. And showing property in your own name is a HUGE plus.

And I think if you're 25+ and currently unemployed it's necessary to at least address it in the application -- I gave them an explanation for it and had my former supervisors give them an explanation for why they weren't currently extending my contract (i.e. because they wanted me to start a PhD). You can give them some plausible explanation for why you are not employed right now, e.g., you left your previous job to pursue some personal research projects, which you can provide documentary proof of; or you left your previous job because you're planning to start graduate school soon (which is what I said).

About deferral: do ask your uni if they can defer your admission. If they can't, you may have to reapply for next year, but hopefully you can plan for it this time. One other thing I would recommend is that you do fax a reply to the CHC, not exactly appealing the decision (since I think they must have closed your file now), but just saying very, very politely that you don't agree with it, and giving the reasons. Also acknowledge that there were documents you could have submitted to strengthen your case, but didn't. This way, the next time you apply, you can attach the refusal letter with the response you faxed to the CHC and it shows that you are confident and are not dissuaded by the refusal.

They refused a visit visa for me earlier this year (I had hoped to visit Canada for interviews for my PhD programs -- in the end I had all my interviews done via Skype), and I immediately faxed them a reply, and attached the refusal and my reply with this Study Permit application. (To be fair to them, I was quite cavalier in preparing that visit visa application as I thought I was sure to get it -- I had visited Canada in 2007-2008 while studying in the US.)

kashif Mehmood

Jul 23, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
M really very sorry to hear that...when you applied?and what about your medical?u did it or not

suparr

Star Member
Feb 9, 2011
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-03-2017
Hey LOud
Sorry to hear about this. But when did you apply for the visa? and did you recieve a medical call?

LoudNClear

Star Member
Aug 8, 2011
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
Sep 19, 2019
IELTS Request
Not required
evolvingfaith said:
Jahanzeb, I'll just send you my statement -- but please don't share it with anyone and don't make it available on the Internet, because I'm not going to remove my personal details from it. Is that okay?

Hey yeah I'll definitely not publish it nor will I use the format for myself. You can trust me !

evolvingfaith

Jul 22, 2011
Islamabad, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2011
IELTS Request
Not needed, took the GRE
Med's Request
28-07-2011
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sent! You can use the format/template if you like, because your contents will be totally different from mine, so that's not an issue.

LoudNClear

Star Member
Aug 8, 2011
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
Sep 19, 2019
IELTS Request
Not required
Thank you once again for taking the pain to explain how I can deal with the situation and strengthen my case for the next attempt. I'll ask my department of study for the deferral.

LoudNClear

Star Member
Aug 8, 2011
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
Sep 19, 2019
IELTS Request
Not required
kashif Mehmood said:
M really very sorry to hear that...when you applied?and what about your medical?u did it or not
Here is my timeline guys!

Application filed: June 13, 2011
deliverd to CHC : June 14, 2011
Business days are: 42
total days are: 61

Acceptance letter: SFU for masters in digital media
Previous education: Masters in multimedia arts from NCA
IELTS: with 7.5 band submitted with application

Visa denied on August 15, 2011