+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student visa after 8 years gap

Vicksy

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Dear all,

Here is my profile:

- Bachelor Degree in Management (general) in 2003 (17 years study gap )
- IELTS 7.0
- Never unemployed since graduating, I even worked full time while pursuing my bachelor degree: 1997-2007: administrative assistant, 2007-present: self-employed translator, 2010: Personal assistant to the commissioner of an oil company.
- One of the reasons why I wasn't able to pursue study earlier is because of raising my children (the same reason why I went freelancing), and now that they are of high school ages, I feel it's my turn to go back to school (will this reason be acceptable to the visa officer?) and boosting my management knowledge to put my business in a better position in the industry.
Now I want to pursue a 1-year graduate degree at NBCC - New Brunswick, either International Business Management or IT: Business Analysis as I run my own translation business.

Am I in a good position to apply for a study visa?

All replies are most appreciated.

Amy Paul

Star Member
May 29, 2021
Dear all,

Here is my profile:

- Bachelor Degree in Management (general) in 2003 (17 years study gap )
- IELTS 7.0
- Never unemployed since graduating, I even worked full time while pursuing my bachelor degree: 1997-2007: administrative assistant, 2007-present: self-employed translator, 2010: Personal assistant to the commissioner of an oil company.
- One of the reasons why I wasn't able to pursue study earlier is because of raising my children (the same reason why I went freelancing), and now that they are of high school ages, I feel it's my turn to go back to school (will this reason be acceptable to the visa officer?) and boosting my management knowledge to put my business in a better position in the industry.
Now I want to pursue a 1-year graduate degree at NBCC - New Brunswick, either International Business Management or IT: Business Analysis as I run my own translation business.

Am I in a good position to apply for a study visa?

All replies are most appreciated.
I will be applying after a study gap of 16 years. I have been working ever since.

With a STRONG SOP, excellent IELTS and academics, and perfect course selection which justifies your move, you can get it. I think there is no harm in trying - its now or never.

Reactions: Vicksy

Amy Paul

Star Member
May 29, 2021
I know what you mean. I have been put in jan intake although I applied got May and mine is the last batch as they will discontinue the course after that. My biometrics date is nov 15! You can imagine the stress. The orientation is toward end of jan but it’s mandatory to attend it and only those with visa can attend it.

Vicksy

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
I know what you mean. I have been put in jan intake although I applied got May and mine is the last batch as they will discontinue the course after that. My biometrics date is nov 15! You can imagine the stress. The orientation is toward end of jan but it’s mandatory to attend it and only those with visa can attend it.
You've asked to do the biometrics, that means your study visa is approved?

Thanks for your encouraging reply, I only need to retake the IELTS as it's expired last September. The last time I got 7.0 and hopefully I can get a better result now. I've applied for Holland College's Project Management Postgraduate program actually.

Has anyone heard about Alpha College in Ontario? Are they good?