+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student versus Skilled experience for CEC

mandthepand

Sep 30, 2008
We are currently in the process of applying for PR through the old system with my husband as a gas fitter (not on the 38 occupations) so we are waiting for the paperwork to be returned. We are now considering another way:-

1. Myself applying for a student visa to study at Lethbridge college for a 2 year course in massage therapy or something similiar.

2. My husband, I presume, will be able to get an open working permit and my kids student visas for school - please correct me if I'm worong here!

I therefore assume that if I study for 2 years and then have a year of full-time experience in a skilled job I can apply for PR under the CEC scheme. Does the job have to be related to my course of study or can it be something else (I am a legal secretary here in the UK which is classed as skilled in Canada).

Also, if my husband were to secure a job as a gas fitter (he has 25 years experience in the UK) and obtain his licence and works for 2 years full time he can apply for PR (is this right?). However, should he be unable to obtain a job as a gas fitter and get a job working in manufacturing in a low-skilled job (there are lots of food manufacturing plants in southern alberta) would that count or would we then have to go the PNP way on the low-skilled job.

We are trying to find the fastest way to get PR through either of these two means. My husband isn't experienced in anything other than technical sales and gas fitting but I am assuming that he does need to show experience in a low-skilled for PNP if he has an open work permit. The experience will be gained whilst working on the open permit. Would he need to wait a certain length of time before applying for PNP in the low skilled job?

I appreciate that this is a very long-winded question!!! But we are trying to find the best way for us and security for our kids - basically we don't want to move, settle the kids in school only in 2 years to have to return to the UK!

Many thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are right that if you were a student, your husband should be able to get an open work permit and kids will be able to join too.

I do not believe there is any requirement in CEC that your year of skilled work experience would have to be related to your studies. You should be able to get an open post-grad work permit after your studies.

Then again, if you were able to secure a skilled position now and a temporary work permit, your husband and kids could also follow and you could apply for PR after 2 years.

The link for gas fitter licensing in AB is here: http://www.workdestinations.org/view_profile.jsp?occupationUserDatumId=20782&profileUserDatumId=20786&lang=en In some trades you don't need to do licensing, some you have to take an exam within 6 months of starting work. I have a hunch it might be easier for your husband to find a job and get a work permit as a gas fitter than for you to get a job as a secretary. Tradesppl are more in demand. If he gets a work permit as a gas fitter, he can apply for PNP as soon as his employer will sponsor him. Many employers will do it after 3 or 6 months so then you could have your PR going in a bit faster.

I am not sure how it works for somebody who is on an open spouse permit to get sponsored through PNP. You would have to ask the AINP, see http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrate/ainpforms.html If he was a low skilled worker on a low skilled permit being sponsored through PNP, he would have to work 6 months before he could be sponsored.

Look for gas fitter jobs here: http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/res_eng.aspx?ProvId=09&Keyword=gas+fitter&Student=No