+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Status Transfer to Worker (A70 may applied?)

Gorigori

Nov 29, 2022
Hi, I browsed this community for 3~4 years but first time to post. :)
I want to know how to transfer the student to worker.

Current status:
Me: Convention Refugee // Valid work permit thorough refugee process
Spouse: Student (Not a refugee) // Valid student permit with 20h work permitted

1. I've applied for PR April 2022 and my spouse is on that process too.

2. My spouse want to transition to worker for our better life. Due to, we are almost running out of the money. (But not eligible HR option I guess)

3. We've registered a company as a founder and co-founder. We want to run this company together, but my spouse needs to stop study.

4. Are there any available options you can share with me? Self-LMIA, open work permit. Anything we can choose.

5. If we choose that option, is it available to keep working, not waiting for issued work permit? (Like use flagpole? I don't know but if it's inspire you.)

Thank you in advance. I will keep searching it. Hope you have a great day!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Current status:

2. My spouse want to transition to worker for our better life. Due to, we are almost running out of the money. (But not eligible HR option I guess)

3. We've registered a company as a founder and co-founder. We want to run this company together, but my spouse needs to stop study.

4. Are there any available options you can share with me? Self-LMIA, open work permit. Anything we can choose.

5. If we choose that option, is it available to keep working, not waiting for issued work permit? (Like use flagpole? I don't know but if it's inspire you.)

He may qualify to work full time while studying: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html#off-campus

Post to the refugee / asylum section to see if he can benefit from your status at all.

Beyond that, I think you would need to obtain an LMIA for your business. Once the LMIA is obtained, he would apply for a closed work permit. Flagpoling may or may not be possible. Would depend on additional info such as his country of origin.

Reactions: Gorigori

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Current status:

Oh - and just to address the subject of your post. A70 applies to situations where a spouse / common law partner has been sponsored by their Canadian spouse / common law partner. So not applicable in your situation.

Gorigori

Nov 29, 2022
Thank you
Oh - and just to address the subject of your post. A70 applies to situations where a spouse / common law partner has been sponsored by their Canadian spouse / common law partner. So not applicable in your situation.
Thank you very much! I will figure it out on other as well.

But I want to clarify about A70, in the additional of spouse and common-law partner,

R207: Permanent residence applicants in Canada says
3. Protected persons under subsection A95(2)
5. Family members of the above

A70
3. persons upon whom protection has been conferred in accordance with subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), for example, Convention refugees, successful pre-removal risk assessment (PRRA) applicants
5. family members of the above who are in Canada.

subsection A95(2)
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/section-95.html

is it not for our situation?
I just want to understand how it works. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you

Thank you very much! I will figure it out on other as well.

But I want to clarify about A70, in the additional of spouse and common-law partner,

R207: Permanent residence applicants in Canada says
3. Protected persons under subsection A95(2)
5. Family members of the above

A70
3. persons upon whom protection has been conferred in accordance with subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), for example, Convention refugees, successful pre-removal risk assessment (PRRA) applicants
5. family members of the above who are in Canada.

subsection A95(2)
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/section-95.html

is it not for our situation?
I just want to understand how it works. Thank you!
Ah - sorry, I'm not family with that part of A70. I thought it was limited to spousal sponsorship. Again, you need to post to the refugee / asylum section of the forum.