+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student permit rejection on account of letter of acceptance

Apr 19, 2019
Hi, my student permit got rejected on grounds stating "You have not submitted written documentation from the educational institution where you intend to study that states that you have been accepted to study there.".

Now, I submitted the letter of acceptance from my University, stating almost all points stated here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/letters-acceptance.html

Any justifications on the rejection? With my background research, I understand the last page of this document wasn't provided by my University. https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/pub/acclet-e.pdf Is that the reason?

Also, is there any chance I can amend the same application or contact High Commission that the document provided by the University was this and any additional documentation is upon request or do I have to make a fresh application?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If your first application was missing information, you need to reapply from the beginning again. Unfortunately. IRCC expects you submit all information up front. They will very rarely request additional information that wasn't submitted unless it wasn't clear.

Apr 19, 2019
Thanks very much for the information. I assumed such. Also, my husband's TRV + Open Work Permit application alongside mine also got rejected on grounds stating "You have not demonstrated that you come within the exceptions under section 186 of the IRPR exempting you from the requirement to obtain a work permit or that your employment in Canada comes within the exceptions to section 203 of the IRPR. As a result, your offer of employment must be the subject of an economic effect determination before a work permit can be issued to you. Your employer in Canada should contact the local office of the Department of Employment and Social Development Canada to begin this process."

Now I understand this might be because of the rejection of my application. But I also want to confirm if the TRV+OPW can be applied (and received) without a job offer at the time of applying?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks very much for the information. I assumed such. Also, my husband's TRV + Open Work Permit application alongside mine also got rejected on grounds stating "You have not demonstrated that you come within the exceptions under section 186 of the IRPR exempting you from the requirement to obtain a work permit or that your employment in Canada comes within the exceptions to section 203 of the IRPR. As a result, your offer of employment must be the subject of an economic effect determination before a work permit can be issued to you. Your employer in Canada should contact the local office of the Department of Employment and Social Development Canada to begin this process."

Now I understand this might be because of the rejection of my application. But I also want to confirm if the TRV+OPW can be applied (and received) without a job offer at the time of applying?
Yes it can be applied without a job offer but OWP is never guaranteed for spouses of international students.

Apr 19, 2019
What are the chances for the same? And if there are very less, what are the scenarios with which the spouse of an international student can immigrate. Is TRV guaranteed?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
First if you attached your letter of acceptance I would challenge your refusal and indicate that you submitted the letter or acceptance they will likely review your previous application. Errors are possible. OWP for spouses depend on quite a few things. One is whether the couple show enough financial resources to cover both their expenses without jobs. Based on my observations advanced degrees like masters and PhDs usually get approval for their families. Not sure what else goes into the approval or refusal of families.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What are the chances for the same? And if there are very less, what are the scenarios with which the spouse of an international student can immigrate. Is TRV guaranteed?
TRV are almost less probable than TRV because the spouse would not be a visitor their intent would be to stay in Canada with their spouse. TRV is still possible but would always recommend OWP. If the student gets PGWP after graduation with a job in NOC 0, A or B they can sponsor spouse for OWP once they have 3 pay stubs.

Apr 19, 2019
Thanks very very much for the response. This brings to me to more questions.

1. We reached out to the University as well and they assured that their acceptance letters have not been rejected and that's the standard format they have been following previously. And it has all the details that should be mentioned. However, the table in the last page was only missing (from https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/pub/acclet-e.pdf ). But the University has mentioned that they are not aware that they have to send this format filled up as well. Even previous students having been admitted have not received this and have been granted study permits.

2. How can we challenge the refusal? From my previous research, I can only understand that we will need to reapply. That being said, I also reached out to High Commission of Canada in Delhi, with no reply. Please help if you have any information regarding this.

3. We have shown more than required amount of financial resources. Which clearly indicates our survival in Canada for an year for both of us. So I don't understand what more to do on that.

We have been very vigilant with this application and have provided cover letters for both with details that are considered important. Rejection on the mentioned reasons were our most unlikely expectations.

Apr 19, 2019
TRV are almost less probable than TRV because the spouse would not be a visitor their intent would be to stay in Canada with their spouse. TRV is still possible but would always recommend OWP. If the student gets PGWP after graduation with a job in NOC 0, A or B they can sponsor spouse for OWP once they have 3 pay stubs.
Do you mean OWP comes with a TRV by default. Because I was of the opinion, that TRV would be required to enter and stay in Canada and OWP for working. Our cover letter stated "TRV + OWP"

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Do you mean OWP comes with a TRV by default. Because I was of the opinion, that TRV would be required to enter and stay in Canada and OWP for working. Our cover letter stated "TRV + OWP"
TRV is required to be allowed to travel to Canada, OWP is what will give you status and & right to work.
If you apply for OWP and get it you will automatically get a TRV (this is the sticker in passport)

Apr 19, 2019

1. We reached out to the University as well and they assured that their acceptance letters have not been rejected and that's the standard format they have been following previously. And it has all the details that should be mentioned. However, the table in the last page was only missing (from https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/pub/acclet-e.pdf ). But the University has mentioned that they are not aware that they have to send this format filled up as well. Even previous students having been admitted have not received this and have been granted study permits.

2. How can we challenge the refusal? From my previous research, I can only understand that we will need to reapply. That being said, I also reached out to High Commission of Canada in Delhi, with no reply. Please help if you have any information regarding this.

3. We have shown more than required amount of financial resources. Which clearly indicates our survival in Canada for an year for both of us. So I don't understand what more to do on that.

We have been very vigilant with this application and have provided cover letters for both with details that are considered important. Rejection on the mentioned reasons were our most unlikely expectations.
@canuck78 - Do you have any information regarding these?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@canuck78 - Do you have any information regarding these?
You should send a CSE to CIC indicating that you were rejected but your application contained your acceptance letter from the college/university so you are confused as to why you were refused. Someone may have missed the letter in the file. Also would order GCMS notes to see in more detail why you were refused.

TRV is to enter Canada but if you enter without OWP you will be given visitor status for up to 6 months.

Immigration_guru

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......

You can challenge, but for a student visa i don't see a point putting so much of efforts.
Best you should do is check gcms notes and rectify the issue and reapply.
If you think the only reason for rejection is the missing document, just re-apply.

Apr 19, 2019
You can challenge, but for a student visa i don't see a point putting so much of efforts.
Best you should do is check gcms notes and rectify the issue and reapply.
If you think the only reason for rejection is the missing document, just re-apply.
Hi, thanks for your response. But I am only concerned about this is because acceptance letter from the University wasn't missing but that has been stated as the reason for rejection. My University has also confirmed that the format of the letter that they sent me is their standard format that they have been using previously. Do you have any other thoughts regarding this?

Immigration_guru

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Hi, thanks for your response. But I am only concerned about this is because acceptance letter from the University wasn't missing but that has been stated as the reason for rejection. My University has also confirmed that the format of the letter that they sent me is their standard format that they have been using previously. Do you have any other thoughts regarding this?
the details of rejection can be only founds with gcms notes.
you can order one. in student case its released in 15-20 days to after you get one you can re apply.
in the meantime raise the webform stating the concern too.