+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student permit extension for Work Permit holder Dependent

IRdAraujo

Mar 21, 2024
Hello, I am doing my best to gather all the information I can from the official website, but I have significant doubts when applying for an extension for my daughter's student visa. My now ex-husband was responsible for all the paperwork, and now I am trying to manage it with my extreme ADHD. I will also have to apply for my work visa extension soon, so I will provide all the information I can below.

My now ex-husband got a job offer in Quebec, and we went through the process. I was granted an open work permit, and both our daughters were granted student permits. We entered Canada on 2022-10-31, but due to their passport expiration date, the end of their student visa was set to 2024-04-10. I know I am late, and I am fortunate because I wanted to get ahead, and on Monday, I realized it was not on 2024-04-30 as I had in mind. So, I could be completely doomed now, yet I have hopes. Her CAQ is valid until 2024-05-18.

Unfortunately, my ex-husband did not want to remain in Canada, so we separated, and my 16-year-old decided she wanted to stay, while my 13-year-old decided to go back. We are now legally divorced.

First doubt: Designated Study Institution and end of the study period. I entered the information from her High School here in Montreal. I'm not sure if it is necessary or if adding it will cause any harm, but my biggest concern is when to set an end date for the studies. She will graduate in May 2025 and hopes to get into a CEGEP. What should I input as the end of the Duration of Expected Study?

Second Doubt: Funds. I do not know what to enter for "funds for study" as I don't have money saved, but I do have a full-time job I am holding onto for dear life. So far, with the new life and adapting to making it with only one salary, it has been challenging, but I have been able to make ends meet. If I add $0 to this, I am terrified they will misinterpret it as her not having the means to be supported here. I am in desperate need of assistance because I don't want to provide false information. My ex-husband also does not have a significant amount saved as he is also "starting over" back home.

Third and last doubt: Employment. The form demands I add at least one employment information to it, but she is 16.

I am willing to watch any videos and read any material. I googled but only found answers from 2013-2016. I am considering investing in a consultant as long as I can afford it, of course, because I have no idea about costs. I am fighting the clock now with my misperception of the expiration dates, and I am in desperate need of any assistance.

Thank you all for reading, even if you can't help!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, I am doing my best to gather all the information I can from the official website, but I have significant doubts when applying for an extension for my daughter's student visa. My now ex-husband was responsible for all the paperwork, and now I am trying to manage it with my extreme ADHD. I will also have to apply for my work visa extension soon, so I will provide all the information I can below.

My now ex-husband got a job offer in Quebec, and we went through the process. I was granted an open work permit, and both our daughters were granted student permits. We entered Canada on 2022-10-31, but due to their passport expiration date, the end of their student visa was set to 2024-04-10. I know I am late, and I am fortunate because I wanted to get ahead, and on Monday, I realized it was not on 2024-04-30 as I had in mind. So, I could be completely doomed now, yet I have hopes. Her CAQ is valid until 2024-05-18.

Unfortunately, my ex-husband did not want to remain in Canada, so we separated, and my 16-year-old decided she wanted to stay, while my 13-year-old decided to go back. We are now legally divorced.

First doubt: Designated Study Institution and end of the study period. I entered the information from her High School here in Montreal. I'm not sure if it is necessary or if adding it will cause any harm, but my biggest concern is when to set an end date for the studies. She will graduate in May 2025 and hopes to get into a CEGEP. What should I input as the end of the Duration of Expected Study?

Second Doubt: Funds. I do not know what to enter for "funds for study" as I don't have money saved, but I do have a full-time job I am holding onto for dear life. So far, with the new life and adapting to making it with only one salary, it has been challenging, but I have been able to make ends meet. If I add $0 to this, I am terrified they will misinterpret it as her not having the means to be supported here. I am in desperate need of assistance because I don't want to provide false information. My ex-husband also does not have a significant amount saved as he is also "starting over" back home.

Third and last doubt: Employment. The form demands I add at least one employment information to it, but she is 16.

I am willing to watch any videos and read any material. I googled but only found answers from 2013-2016. I am considering investing in a consultant as long as I can afford it, of course, because I have no idea about costs. I am fighting the clock now with my misperception of the expiration dates, and I am in desperate need of any assistance.

Thank you all for reading, even if you can't help!
1. How are you eligible for a work permit extension. If your open work permit was based on spouse’s work permit then you would not be eligible for extension.
2. End date is May 2025.
3. If you are not eligible for a work permit, she is not eligible for a study permit without being an international student and paying international fees. Fees are tuition plus minimum proof of funds for study permit.

IRdAraujo

Mar 21, 2024
Thank you very much for replying. I have been reading a lot aboio it and what I found is that once I have a visa, it’s my visa and I would not lose it because of the lost of the “sponsor” at this time. I have a full time job and all the paperwork mentioned that for extending a work permit you need to be holding one (or other options my I would fit into that), and I do. For now I’m worried about my daughter’s visa as hers expires before the end of the school year and I hold a work permit expiring on October. Just for the sake of her studies, can you help me with filling up the form?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you very much for replying. I have been reading a lot aboio it and what I found is that once I have a visa, it’s my visa and I would not lose it because of the lost of the “sponsor” at this time. I have a full time job and all the paperwork mentioned that for extending a work permit you need to be holding one (or other options my I would fit into that), and I do. For now I’m worried about my daughter’s visa as hers expires before the end of the school year and I hold a work permit expiring on October. Just for the sake of her studies, can you help me with filling up the form?
Not true. Where did you get that information? You got an open work permit because your ex was on a closed work permit. You are not eligible for an open work permit if ex is not extending his permit. You need an approved LMIA from your employer. If you are not eligible for a work permit, your daughter needs to show funds and pay international fees. Her study permit, to not pay international fees, is based on your ex’s permit not yours. She has to show that she is eligible to not pay international tuition. When does your work permit expire.

Hire an immigration lawyer who will explain this to you.

IRdAraujo

Mar 21, 2024
I don’t know how much would that cost but I’m willing to try, thank you

From the website: “If you are currently working in Canada and want to change conditions on your work permit (e.g. change length, employer or occupation), you must apply and obtain a new work permit. You should apply before making the change. For any permit, you should always apply at least 30 days beforeyour status expires.

Normally, a work permit must be applied for prior to coming to Canada. Only in a few special circumstances presented in this guide can an initial work permit be applied for within Canada:

• you presently hold a valid study or work permit; …”

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

From the website: “If you are currently working in Canada and want to change conditions on your work permit (e.g. change length, employer or occupation), you must apply and obtain a new work permit. You should apply before making the change. For any permit, you should always apply at least 30 days beforeyour status expires.

Normally, a work permit must be applied for prior to coming to Canada. Only in a few special circumstances presented in this guide can an initial work permit be applied for within Canada:

You will apply and it will be refused. You are not eligible for an open work permit. Open work permits are only an option for a few scenarios. You got your permit because ex was on a closed work permit. You cannot apply to extend now based on his permit. You need an approved LMIA to apply for a closed work permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Please hire an immigration lawyer to assist you. Based on the information you have provided you do not qualify to extend your work permit which will also impact your daughter's study permit. You seem quite confused by the rules and are short on time. You don't want to make errors that result in falling out of status in Canada. Please hire a lawyer.

Reactions: Naturgrl