+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Permit approved but...

Stephen659

Jan 30, 2020
hey guys this was my first time applying to extend my study permit and it got approved and in the letter it said "A secure document has been mailed to your address" so my questions are

• Whats the document?
  • my student visa is expired do they send an ETA with that secure letter?
  • if not do i apply for a study visa or an ETA
  • where do i send my passport to if I do need a visa

Hassan7601

Jul 5, 2019
hey guys this was my first time applying to extend my study permit and it got approved and in the letter it said "A secure document has been mailed to your address" so my questions are

• Whats the document?
  • my student visa is expired do they send an ETA with that secure letter?
  • if not do i apply for a study visa or an ETA
  • where do i send my passport to if I do need a visa
So there are two things here. Study permit and TRV which is the visa are two different things. When you came for the first time to Canada, at the border you were issued with a study permit (the long brown colored paper) which had all your course details. Where as you were issued a TRV visa on your passport from your country on which you could have traveled to Canada. Your study permit extension approval letter will be sent by mail which they have already done so and it will have the new dates of expiry... Depending on what country you're from, you will either need to obtain a TRV or an ETA which is different from your study permit.... Study permit is just a document/permit to study and a ETA/TRV is a visa which allows you to travel. Hope this answers your concerns...

Stephen659

Jan 30, 2020
So there are two things here. Study permit and TRV which is the visa are two different things. When you came for the first time to Canada, at the border you were issued with a study permit (the long brown colored paper) which had all your course details. Where as you were issued a TRV visa on your passport from your country on which you could have traveled to Canada. Your study permit extension approval letter will be sent by mail which they have already done so and it will have the new dates of expiry... Depending on what country you're from, you will either need to obtain a TRV or an ETA which is different from your study permit.... Study permit is just a document/permit to study and a ETA/TRV is a visa which allows you to travel. Hope this answers your concerns...
Oh ok, should i apply for an ETA now or should i wait till i get the permit in hand?

Muj

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
Study Permit will be sent to you at the address so that you can use that to study further. If you need to travel then you need to apply for a visa or else you don't really have to. Keep in mind that if you ever exit Canada and re-enter you study permit will not allow you to enter. The counterfoil visa will help you do so.