+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stuck outside Canada due to flight ban!!!!!

preet9192

May 13, 2021
hello everyone,
I have a question if someone can answer. I will really appreciate.
I am a permanent resident of Canada. Currently outside Canada with family.
My card is expiring soon on Aug 18-2021 & I need to travel to Canada soon with my 4 yr daughter & husband but stuck due to travel ban since April-2021.
As our tickets are now booked for Aug 08-2021 with Air Canada, as there are no seats before that date & moreover Air Canada has cancelled all flights till July 31st , 2021.
So my question is that Is it Okay if I travel on Aug 08-2021, as my card will expire 10 days after???? I mean will there be any issues in boarding the flight from Delhi or anything at Canada border when I reach Toronto??????

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for reply.
one more thing which I forgot,
I am also under residency obligation.
I am around 3 months short.
So is that gonna make any difference at the port of entry??????
So your whole family. You will be allowed entry as your card has not expired. You can be reported for not meeting RO.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Likelihood of issues and being reported should be lower since the travel ban is an outside factor and your non-compliance is short and clearly directly related to the travel ban.

But: there is no guarantee the ban will be lifted by then. You should plan taking that into account, which might mean having to apply for and obtain a prtd.

Reactions: dpenabill

winemaster

Jun 4, 2021
I have also heard the same thing. As long as you have a valid PR, you can enter, even if you don't meet the 2- year obligation. Not clear what will happen after that.

I am also interested to learn what can happen after that, in case someone being reported for not meeting the residency obligation? I know in theory you may be asked to leave Canada and lose your PR. But does anyone know such a case? I hear a lot of people say you may get reported, but I don't know anyone that this actually happened to them.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have also heard the same thing. As long as you have a valid PR, you can enter, even if you don't meet the 2- year obligation. Not clear what will happen after that.

I am also interested to learn what can happen after that, in case someone being reported for not meeting the residency obligation? I know in theory you may be asked to leave Canada and lose your PR. But does anyone know such a case? I hear a lot of people say you may get reported, but I don't know anyone that this actually happened to them.
Yes - you'll definitely be allowed to enter regardless what happens at the border.

If you are reported at the border for failing to meet RO, then you will have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status despite note meeting RO. If you are not successful at this hearing, then you will lose PR status and will have to leave Canada. You can try to appeal this decision. If the appeal is successful, then you can keep PR status. If not, then your PR status would be formally revoked and you would need to leave. And yes, we've certainly seen a number of people reported here who have then had to go through the hearing / appeal process. It's not a theoretical process - it's a real process that's in practice and used.

winemaster

Jun 4, 2021
Yes - you'll definitely be allowed to enter regardless what happens at the border.

If you are reported at the border for failing to meet RO, then you will have to appear at a hearing to argue why you should be allowed to keep your PR status despite note meeting RO. If you are not successful at this hearing, then you will lose PR status and will have to leave Canada. You can try to appeal this decision. If the appeal is successful, then you can keep PR status. If not, then your PR status would be formally revoked and you would need to leave. And yes, we've certainly seen a number of people reported here who have then had to go through the hearing / appeal process. It's not a theoretical process - it's a real process that's in practice and used.
Thanks.