+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stuck in home country with expired visa and study permit due to COVID-19

ahnaftahmidatb

Jan 14, 2019
Greetings,

I am in a real tough situation here. I had to travel back home due to some very emergency situation back home. But after coming here everything closed down and they closed the border. I bought another ticket after they opened entry to international students but I was not allowed to board the plane from my country.

On the other hand my study permit and visa is expiring tomorrow (31st March). I have applied for study permit extension, but it takes almost 4 months to get approved now. So my question is there anything that I can do to travel earlier? Like applying for a visa before getting the study permit, or is there any way of urgent processing? I am really worried and feel like I will be stuck here for a long time.
Can anyone please suggest me what to do?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Unless you can get a flight by tomorrow, you’ll have to apply for a new TRV. Urgent processing for TRVs is only in exceptional circumstances (death of a family member) and even then it’s not guaranteed. There really isn’t much you can do at this point.

ahnaftahmidatb

Jan 14, 2019
Unless you can get a flight by tomorrow, you’ll have to apply for a new TRV. Urgent processing for TRVs is only in exceptional circumstances (death of a family member) and even then it’s not guaranteed. There really isn’t much you can do at this point.
Thank you for your reply. Can you please tell me how I can apply for TRV before getting the new study permit? Is there any way to do that?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You wont be able to travel, any other visa would not be faster either so best to wait for the study permit. You should be able to continue studying from home since most schools moved to online learning now.

ahnaftahmidatb

Jan 14, 2019
You wont be able to travel, any other visa would not be faster either so best to wait for the study permit. You should be able to continue studying from home since most schools moved to online learning now.
Thanks for the reply, but can you answer if I can apply for the visa now? Before the study permit approval just to enter Canada? Also, when I apply for the TRV again from back home, do I have to provide all the documents I provided when I first applied for coming to Canada?

And one confusion, when I applied for the study permit extension, it asked me which country I am residing now, I choose Canada. Because if i chose my home country, it does not show an option for extension just to apply. So I chose Canada and my friend will mail me the document once it’s approved and sent. Was it okay?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply, but can you answer if I can apply for the visa now? Before the study permit approval just to enter Canada? Also, when I apply for the TRV again from back home, do I have to provide all the documents I provided when I first applied for coming to Canada?

And one confusion, when I applied for the study permit extension, it asked me which country I am residing now, I choose Canada. Because if i chose my home country, it does not show an option for extension just to apply. So I chose Canada and my friend will mail me the document once it’s approved and sent. Was it okay?
You currently won’t qualify to enter Canada with your TRV. When you get the extension you can send in a webform saying that you are actually in your home country now.