+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Struggling with IELTS Listening... NEED HELP...URGENT...!!

Ichowdhury

Jul 8, 2015
Hello Seniors,
I started with the IELTS Listening practice tests. And I am really really struggling so hard. It seems so darn difficult. I am scared I will not be able to score good in it.
Can you all please suggest some tips. My test is on Nov 21, 2015 with IDP. And I began with the practice kit that is supplied along with. And I find myself no where... :(
Please please help me....

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
There are resources in the IELTS section

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/ielts-international-english-language-testing-system-b53.0/

Anya654

May 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ichowdhury said:
Hello Seniors,
I started with the IELTS Listening practice tests. And I am really really struggling so hard. It seems so darn difficult. I am scared I will not be able to score good in it.
Can you all please suggest some tips. My test is on Nov 21, 2015 with IDP. And I began with the practice kit that is supplied along with. And I find myself no where... :(
Please please help me....
Do you practice the listening using audio? I found that using audio is the best way to practice for the listening.

nokia3315

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1st read the instructions to know if it says answer has to be 2 words or 3 words.

Underline keywords. Predict synonyms for keywords

Sometimes correct answer comes later.

Start thinking about the topic.

Write the word only what you hear

Use decimal points for dates , time and currency signs. - 20.01.1973, 18 April, 18th April, 4.30 pm etc.

if get lost move on for answering next questions.

Check spelling and grammar when you transfer your answers from question paper to the final answer sheet

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
Another good tip - WRITE YOUR ANSWERS IN CAPITAL

That way, you won't lose marks for punctuation or spelling

E.g. - If the Answer is a name - Mary.

mary is wrong

Mary or MARY is correct! ;D ;D

redfox05

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
United Kingdom
NOC Code......
2173 Software engineers and designers
App. Filed.......
25/01/2016
AOR Received.
25/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
29/01/2016
Passport Req..
07/06/2016
VISA ISSUED...
06/2016 (Not exact for security)
LANDED..........
07/2016 (Not exact for security)
Some great tips above, and I thought I would add my own.

I pondered about the caps/no caps, and even the staff at the centre were not able to give me a good answer on if I should or shouldn't do that (I wanted to check if all caps for all answers would look bad). I ended up doing ALL CAPS. Judging by my score, I think it was safe to say ALL CAPS did not lose me any marks, whereas, making small mistakes with names and places may have.

Next, yes, I totally agree, underline the key words in the question the moment you see the question, as the tape starts playing. Then skim the text and question super-fast, and do some more underlining of key names, places, dates, numbers.

Read the question carefully, check how many words are expected, and if its a mix of words and numbers or BOTH. Note the AND/OR numbers on some questions. I got caught out. Although actually, I think that was the Reading exam, as I was able to ask the examiner that to make of the guidelines there. ASK. never hurts to ask. They can always say sorry, we cant say. But they might be able to help. you don't know if you don't ask.

Finally, very important: Within each main question/listening task there are often several sub-questions. Look 2/3 sub-questions ahead of the one you are answering, as you may find they worded the answer differently than you were expecting, so you might be waiting for that for ages and then you realise they are already 3 questions ahead.

If you think the answer is taking a long time to appear, double check 2/3 questions ahead to make sure you have not just missed it. If you missed it. MOVE ON. you may lose more marks panicking about the one you missed, and in doing so, you risk losing more marks as you are distracted for the next questions. If needed, just write ANYTHING you remember on the question paper (not answer sheet yet) as a note, and check back when you have more time. Remember, you do get time at the end to transfer your answers to the answer sheet.

Hope it helps.

P.s. for reference, my scores were as follows, and the tips I gave above were all things I did myself in the test, and getting a 8.5 must mean the tips must have helped somehow, BUT, take everyone's advice with caution, they may not be right, even mine could be wrong/inaccurate.

Overall Band 9.0
Listening 8.5
Reading 9.0
Writing 8.5
Speaking 9.0

redfox05

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
United Kingdom
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25/01/2016
AOR Received.
25/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
29/01/2016
Passport Req..
07/06/2016
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Oh, and another tip, BUY AN IELTS PRACTISE BOOK WITH DVD/CD. This is a must. EVEN for native English speakers.
No matter how good your English is, you need to know what they expect from you in the test, and you need to practice the format.

I don't mean to worry anyone, but trust me, even me as a native english speaker, that listening exam is intense, and you really have to listen carefully and think of all the ways they would re-word in a different way, what you are looking for. They often re-phrase the answers you are looking for using different words and phrases, but which mean the same as what you are looking for.

Ichowdhury

Jul 8, 2015
redfox05 said:
Oh, and another tip, BUY AN IELTS PRACTISE BOOK WITH DVD/CD. This is a must. EVEN for native English speakers.
No matter how good your English is, you need to know what they expect from you in the test, and you need to practice the format.

I don't mean to worry anyone, but trust me, even me as a native english speaker, that listening exam is intense, and you really have to listen carefully and think of all the ways they would re-word in a different way, what you are looking for. They often re-phrase the answers you are looking for using different words and phrases, but which mean the same as what you are looking for.
Thanks a bunch redfox05 for your valuable inputs. I will surely keep all of it in mind. One question,(I may sound stupid though), when the audio for the listening section is played is it available in script as well?
Also, I have been sent a practice kit from IELTS IDP which has cd as well. So I began with it. But I found the reading sections to be extremely difficult in terms of the audio given and the kind of questions asked. Is IDP that tough? I mean I am strugglingto get a hang of it. Will more and more practiceease me? Have I done a mistake by registering my IELTS with them..??

nokia3315

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
redfox05 can you please give detailed tips like above but for writing and speaking. You got killer bands so your advice would help a lot.

redfox05

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
United Kingdom
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25/01/2016
AOR Received.
25/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
29/01/2016
Passport Req..
07/06/2016
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sorry, im no real expert. And its hard to figure out what to advise. I just used both my native english language experience and lots of practise (online googling and the 2 books mentioned below). Yes, even as a native speaker I feel you need to practice. If people are too proud/confident to admit that, sure go ahead. As some will say native speakers need no practice. You do. You need to know what to expect. But that's my advise and own thinking. I'm only saying what did.

So anyway, I only practised a week or two before, but I WISH I had done more earlier, I had to do some crazy last minute research and learning, and I did find the exams tough. Funnily enough, don't just practise your english, practise your creativity. One of the hard things I found was thinking of decent things to write out or talk about.

Someone messaged me about the books, so I thought I would share my reply with the forum too:

In terms of books, I bought and used both the following books:

NOTE: I dont know if these are the best ones, or if they suit your learning style, but those are the ones I got and I was happy with them. I know the Top Tips one gets some mixed reviews but I found both books great. (For the Top Tips one, there is one for General, and one for Academic, but I'm guessing for Visa you need General? I know for EE FSW you do). The big book has both general and academic, so make sure you read the right sections, its easy to jump to the wrong pages. I did.

The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS Student's Book with Answers with DVD-ROM (Cambridge English)
http: //ww w.amazon .co. uk/gp/product/1107620694?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Top Tips for IELTS General Training Paperback with CD-ROM
http: //ww w.amazon .co. uk/gp/product/1906438730?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

[Had to break up the links as I still cant post links. Still relatively new member]

The first one (the big one) was very useful in the evenings for learning and throughy practising.
The second one was useful to take into work and read at lunch or on trains.

Neither is better than the other they both help in different ways. I know it might be pricey, but I figured after all the money I spent on the visa, it was worth getting these books.
Make sure you use the DVD's too which are included in the cover of the books.

Finally, Moderators, shouldn't this thread be moved to the IELTS section? There is actually lots more useful information in that forum.

redfox05

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
United Kingdom
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25/01/2016
AOR Received.
25/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
29/01/2016
Passport Req..
07/06/2016
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Oh there was one odd thing, the books recommended taking a decent watch with you to keep time, so I bought a nice simple Casio watch which I know how to use, has a stopwatch etc. I had these years ago and knew how they worked. So bought it and took it with me.

Only... when I arrived, they told us to leave everything in the baggage room, not even allowed pens etc. So no watches either. That was a waste of money to buy that watch! BUT, who knows, your test centre could be different? What im trying to say though, is prepare for the fact you might not be able to take it in. And dont try to sneak it in. It wont be worth risking your test over. I dont know what they would do, but they could cancel your test maybe? Just guessing.

Water is an interesting one. First I thought no water, but then I heard you can bring water but you have to remove all labelling from the bottle. I definitely suggest taking water if you can, to calm your nerves in between each section of the test.

But learn the format of the test. Like what type of questions, how many answers for each etc. Also, know when you can go for toilet breaks, and when not. etc etc. Oh and sharpen the pencils they give you asap, and then scribble a bit to ensure its not TOO sharp. Yes, you have to get used to writing with a pencil, it was odd to start with. However, for the writing test only, they did give a choice between pencil and pen. I chose pen.

Ichowdhury

Jul 8, 2015
redfox05 said:
Oh there was one odd thing, the books recommended taking a decent watch with you to keep time, so I bought a nice simple Casio watch which I know how to use, has a stopwatch etc. I had these years ago and knew how they worked. So bought it and took it with me.

Only... when I arrived, they told us to leave everything in the baggage room, not even allowed pens etc. So no watches either. That was a waste of money to buy that watch! BUT, who knows, your test centre could be different? What im trying to say though, is prepare for the fact you might not be able to take it in. And dont try to sneak it in. It wont be worth risking your test over. I dont know what they would do, but they could cancel your test maybe? Just guessing.

Water is an interesting one. First I thought no water, but then I heard you can bring water but you have to remove all labelling from the bottle. I definitely suggest taking water if you can, to calm your nerves in between each section of the test.

But learn the format of the test. Like what type of questions, how many answers for each etc. Also, know when you can go for toilet breaks, and when not. etc etc. Oh and sharpen the pencils they give you asap, and then scribble a bit to ensure its not TOO sharp. Yes, you have to get used to writing with a pencil, it was odd to start with. However, for the writing test only, they did give a choice between pencil and pen. I chose pen.
Hi redfox05,
I cannot thank you enough for all the tips tou have shared. I find myself at ease thinking that at least I am not the only one freaking out with the test. Everyone did at one point or the other.
One last question if it is not too much. Your scores are brilliant needless to say. Did you appear for IDP or the British council? My test is with IDP and most of them are saying it is tougher.
Should I be worried about this as well?

redfox05

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
United Kingdom
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25/01/2016
AOR Received.
25/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
29/01/2016
Passport Req..
07/06/2016
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
What is IDP? Yes I did it with the British Council, in Manchester, UK.

Just found this, but it's someone's blogs, so not official sources, so take it with a pinch of salt. But they seem to think taking tests in home countries (I presume they mean outside English as primary language countries) is easier? But that can only be down to individual examiners in writing/speaking. Listening and reading is either wrong or right. Standards should be the same though, surely they think about these concerns.

http://www.ielts-blog.com/1/the-difference-between-ielts-british-council-and-idp/
...The most important thing for you to know is that the IETS exams are the same worldwide...

...parts of the IELTS exam that are clerically marked....
...Clear instructions what answers are to be considered correct and incorrect...
....These two parts are the Reading and Listening tests and for those it doesn't matter who does the grading....
....As for the other two parts, namely Writing and Speaking, it is not that simple. In some countries people are telling me that the exams at IDP are easier than at the British Council, but since the exams are the same, it can only mean one thing – the staff, the examiners who do the grading of Writing and Speaking are giving more favorable marks, compared to staff elsewhere. This is the only explanation I can think of....
http://www.englishoutlook.com/myths-about-ielts
If I take the test in my country, I will get a better score
You may get a better score in your country if you take the IELTS test there, but this will more likely be due to the fact that you may feel more comfortable in familiar surroundings in your home town, rather than the test itself. All tests on the same day are the same everywhere in the world so the test itself is not any easier and is the same one you would have taken if you had taken the test overseas. IELTS examiners are highly trained to be reliable markers, so your score should be the same. If you are feeling a little more relaxed in your home town, you could get a better score, but this is a factor which affects you and your performance in the test. The test is not easier.

Lol I quoted all that using my phone. That was hard work :p

sushsmart15

Champion Member
Jul 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
09-02-2017
Nomination.....
21-12-2016
AOR Received.
09-01-2017
Med's Done....
09-02-2017
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-017
There are so many Listening Practice test videos available on youtube
Just search " IELTS Listening Practice test" and you will find so many videos.
You can easily practice 1 video per day. A candidate should aim for minimum band 8 in listening.

Ichowdhury

Jul 8, 2015
redfox05 said:
What is IDP? Yes I did it with the British Council, in Manchester, UK.

Just found this, but it's someone's blogs, so not official sources, so take it with a pinch of salt. But they seem to think taking tests in home countries (I presume they mean outside English as primary language countries) is easier? But that can only be down to individual examiners in writing/speaking. Listening and reading is either wrong or right. Standards should be the same though, surely they think about these concerns.

http://www.ielts-blog.com/1/the-difference-between-ielts-british-council-and-idp/
http://www.englishoutlook.com/myths-about-ielts

Lol I quoted all that using my phone. That was hard work :p
Thank you is an understatement for all your efforts. Yes I have started with youtube videos trying to do I listening session per day. Will keep you guys updated. Thank you once again.