+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Struggling to gain skilled work experience....

NicholasG

Apr 14, 2016
Hey guys,

I received my post-grad open work permit after graduation in 2013, and have only 4 months left until it expires. Since then, I have only managed to gain unskilled work experience working in customer service, which , unfortunately, will not help me immigrate through the CEC program. Are there any other options for immigration from here on? With only 4 months left on my work permit and my unskilled job, would I even be able to apply for a work permit extension? Finding skilled work seems absolutely hopeless as well, as I've been struggling for almost 2 years now to land a decent job. Especially with the bilingualism barrier in Ottawa, as I don't speak French. To those who managed to find skilled work after graduating and receiving their post-grad open work permit, any advice would be much appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can only extend your work permit if you're able to secure a job offer that's accompanied by an approved LMIA.

Do you have previous work experience from your home country? If so, have you looked into the FSW program or provincial nominee programs?

As for finding a skilled job, it sounds to me like leaving Ottawa would be a good first step if you're finding your lack of French knowledge to be such a barrier. This won't be a barrier in many other places (e.g. Toronto).

kidbroker

Feb 18, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 1st 2016
NicholasG said:
Hey guys,

I received my post-grad open work permit after graduation in 2013, and have only 4 months left until it expires. Since then, I have only managed to gain unskilled work experience working in customer service, which , unfortunately, will not help me immigrate through the CEC program. Are there any other options for immigration from here on? With only 4 months left on my work permit and my unskilled job, would I even be able to apply for a work permit extension? Finding skilled work seems absolutely hopeless as well, as I've been struggling for almost 2 years now to land a decent job. Especially with the bilingualism barrier in Ottawa, as I don't speak French. To those who managed to find skilled work after graduating and receiving their post-grad open work permit, any advice would be much appreciated.
I am not sure about which degree you received from school. but it will be much easier for you to find a job in toronto, particularly in the tech sector as the loonies is cheap atm.

David1905

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
Can you apply for Study Permit again? I mean in the worst case, that would help you to buy more time and more chance to get a decent job later. Try to get in PNP before graduating because CIC wont issue PGWP the second time.