+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stress leave for Sponsor.

DizzyPolly

Nov 11, 2022
Hello everyone. We submitted our application on October 9th 2022(outland). Still no AOR, which is okay. But my husband (canadian citizen, sponsor) has been having problems at work lately and wants to take stress leave. He would like to change jobs as well and had an offer already. I searched forums and found out that we don`t have to notify IRCC about work changes, since all the information we submitted was correct on the date that we submitted it. But because he hasn`t been cleared as sponsor yet and we don`t have our case file number yet, even if he changes jobs there is no way to submit it to IRCC anyways.
Please tell whether its okay for him to take stress leave and then change jobs after we recieve AOR, so we`ll be able to notify IRCC correctly.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It's fine. He can take leave right away if he wishes (or quit). No need to advise IRCC. If he wants to advise of starting new job after, that's fine, webform.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone. We submitted our application on October 9th 2022(outland). Still no AOR, which is okay. But my husband (canadian citizen, sponsor) has been having problems at work lately and wants to take stress leave. He would like to change jobs as well and had an offer already. I searched forums and found out that we don`t have to notify IRCC about work changes, since all the information we submitted was correct on the date that we submitted it. But because he wasn`t been cleared as sponsor yet and we don`t have our case file number yet, even if he changes jobs there is no way to submit it to IRCC anyways.
Please tell whether its okay for him to take stress leave and then change jobs after we recieve AOR, so we`ll be able to notify IRCC correctly.
There's no issue as long as he doesn't go on welfare / social assistance. Don't worry about it. Your husband should make the best decision for his health.

DizzyPolly

Nov 11, 2022
There's no issue as long as he doesn't go on welfare / social assistance. Don't worry about it. Your husband should make the best decision for his health.
Thank you so much, the whole immigration process is so stressful by itself and now this. Thanks again.

DizzyPolly

Nov 11, 2022
Does Employment Insurance benefits counts as welfare/social assistance?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone. We submitted our application on October 9th 2022(outland). Still no AOR, which is okay. But my husband (canadian citizen, sponsor) has been having problems at work lately and wants to take stress leave. He would like to change jobs as well and had an offer already. I searched forums and found out that we don`t have to notify IRCC about work changes, since all the information we submitted was correct on the date that we submitted it. But because he hasn`t been cleared as sponsor yet and we don`t have our case file number yet, even if he changes jobs there is no way to submit it to IRCC anyways.
He should be updating IRCC about his current employment or change of employment since one of the requirements for sponsorship approval is to show you can support your family. You are also supposed to keep your information up-to-date whether it is address, phone number, job, children, etc. It’s really in your best interest to keep your file current so there is never any concern that you are trying to hide something from IRCC. If the VO decides to google your spouse and they are not listed as a current employee that looks much worse as explaining that they are on temporary leave and updating your file when he starts a new job. As long as you can prove that you can support yourselves without government help you should be approved. Obviously your spouse should take care of his health but for your sponsorship application it will look much better if he is working or if you have a clear path to employment yourself when arriving in Canada.

DizzyPolly

Nov 11, 2022
He should be updating IRCC about his current employment or change of employment since one of the requirements for sponsorship approval is to show you can support your family. You are also supposed to keep your information up-to-date whether it is address, phone number, job, children, etc. It’s really in your best interest to keep your file current so there is never any concern that you are trying to hide something from IRCC. If the VO decides to google your spouse and they are not listed as a current employee that looks much worse as explaining that they are on temporary leave and updating your file when he starts a new job. As long as you can prove that you can support yourselves without government help you should be approved. Obviously your spouse should take care of his health but for your sponsorship application it will look much better if he is working or if you have a clear path to employment yourself when arriving in Canada.
He is planning on taking stress leave for a couple of weeks and either return back to his job, or hopefully find a new one. For the duration of that his contract with his employer will not be terminated, so he will still count as an employee. I planned to notify IRCC as soon as we receive AOR so i can easily update our case and add new letter of employment, if he decides to change jobs, so everything is up to date. We currently don't have a case number, so we can't do it.

Reactions: canuck78

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
He is planning on taking stress leave for a couple of weeks and either return back to his job, or hopefully find a new one. For the duration of that his contract with his employer will not be terminated, so he will still count as an employee. I planned to notify IRCC as soon as we receive AOR so i can easily update our case and add new letter of employment, if he decides to change jobs, so everything is up to date. We currently don't have a case number, so we can't do it.
If it is leave and has retained employment, no need to update with IRCC.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As others have said if it falls under shorterm disability and still fully employed It is very different than a more longterm leave which I thought you were describing.