+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Steps to export the vehicle from USA to Canada...

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Kuchbhi, I am not landing for the first time and I did not declare it when I landed. Hence, I will pay the taxes.
Are you currently living in Canada? If not, then most probably you did soft landing earlier and can still claim duty free import after submitting Goods to Accompany/Follow list.

badpusacat

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FeDex-ed 26-06-13
Doc's Request.
15-10-2014/FeDex-ed 26-10
IELTS Request
included in the application
Med's Request
15-10-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2014
Interview........
29-09-2014
Passport Req..
Nov 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2014
LANDED..........
July 2015
Are you currently living in Canada? If not, then most probably you did soft landing earlier and can still claim duty free import after submitting Goods to Accompany/Follow list.
I am living in Canada for the last three years.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Kuchbhi, I am not landing for the first time and I did not declare it when I landed. Hence, I will pay the taxes.
I do not think you will pay much for an "2010 Pilot ". By the way why bother for 2010 used SUV, unless you get it for free from your relative.

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
Get the help from agent for that and pay 75$.

How do you use AES Direct / ACE to export your vehicle?
I cannot even register on ACE. It asks for Company information EIN number etc. assuming I am a trader or an exporter. Has anyone actually used the ACE/AESdirect system to register and generate the ITN ??

ishanbishnoi

May 24, 2017
Hi Friends,

Need your help !

1. What is the total time I need once my vehicle crosses the Canadian border and my Form 1 is sent to RIV by CBSA for getting my Ontario Number Plates

2. Can I get my RIV inspection form, Safety inspection completed , RIV inspection completed and finally Onatrio number plates in two days assuming I already have Ontario's driver license.

3. If I have a cut in my tyre which is harmless but still appears on outer wall then do I need to get the whole tyre replaced for passing safety and RIV inspection.

My situation is that I need to drive back into US from Canada once I get my Ontario number plates for about 2 weeks time.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Ishan

noonnabi

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
Hi, everyone. I have a quick question about the vehicle title. I have a clean title with no lien. However, it was initially titled in state A. I have been residing in state B for the past few years. I wasn't required to transfer the title from state A to B when I moved. Do I need to get it transferred to state B before exporting/importing it? Thanks!

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi, everyone. I have a quick question about the vehicle title. I have a clean title with no lien. However, it was initially titled in state A. I have been residing in state B for the past few years. I wasn't required to transfer the title from state A to B when I moved. Do I need to get it transferred to state B before exporting/importing it? Thanks!
Title is ownership and has nothing to do with state where you are resigning in. The vehicle registration and insurance and plate is different matter.

Reactions: noonnabi

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
No

Reactions: noonnabi

email.6633

Star Member
Dec 17, 2016
Hi Friends,

Need your help !

1. What is the total time I need once my vehicle crosses the Canadian border and my Form 1 is sent to RIV by CBSA for getting my Ontario Number Plates

--If you are determined, you can get this done in a week

2. Can I get my RIV inspection form, Safety inspection completed , RIV inspection completed and finally Onatrio number plates in two days assuming I already have Ontario's driver license.

--You can

3. If I have a cut in my tyre which is harmless but still appears on outer wall then do I need to get the whole tyre replaced for passing safety and RIV inspection.

--Mostly should be ok

My situation is that I need to drive back into US from Canada once I get my Ontario number plates for about 2 weeks time.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Ishan

vijay_r_leo

Aug 28, 2018
Hi Friends,

Mine is a different scenario which need some guidance.

Here is the response from one of the car shipping companies. I will be relocating to Toronto, ON, CA during first week of Jan 2019 on a 2 yr work permit (intra company transfer). Few queries I need your help with :

1. What's this temporary import of personal vehicles ?

2. It says we can't sell the car there in Canada so we might have to bring it back to US either getting an visitor US visa or if my employer brings me back to USA after 1 year of mandatory cool off period required for fresh L1B visa. When we do this is it an export from Canada to USA ?

3. What are the things I need to get modified on Nissan Versa SV 2014 to comply with Canada ? Do we need to get it done here in US or can those be done in Canada ?

4. With all these costs (Loan payoff + conversions required + transportation + registration and other formalities in Canada) involved is it really worth bringing this car from US to Canada based on your experiences ? Approx may be I will end up paying 11k USD !!! This car was bought new here in US in 2014 and has got only 36k miles on it still.

Relocation is a real pain when you have owned a new built house here in US, have 2 cars and all your expensive possessions accrued over a period which can't be sold for what so ever reason. So trying to find the least loss route and trying to bring at least 1 car and whatever can fit into the upack trailer (as you all have shared on other threads).

Thanks a lot in advance.

Discounted shipping rate: $1,250.00
Shipping method: Door to Terminal
Ship to terminal: Stream Toronto Warehouse, Mississauga, ON

Prices are quoted in US dollars. Canada Customs allows for the temporary importation of personal vehicles by individuals who are on work or student visas in Canada. These vehicles are to be used by the individuals for their personal transportation. These vehicles cannot be sold in Canada and must be returned back to the USA.

Canada Customs requires the vehicle to be cleared in person by the individual on the work or student visa. To facilitate your personal clearance of the vehicle, we can ship your vehicle to a bonded warehouse near to your home. These warehouses are independent facilities and do charge fees that may vary from warehouse to warehouse but generally range between C$100 - C$200.

Transit time varies on the shipping distance. The delivery time for your transport is normally 8-10 days from pick-up. For most areas, we can arrange the pick up of your vehicle with very short notice.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Even I am moving to Toronto in first week of Jan ( as PR though). If you want to co-ordinate then please send me a private message.

1. Temporary import means that you will be allowed to move your car to Canada on a temporary basis since you will be going to Canada on temporary permit. Once your temporary status end ( or if you move out of Canada) you will need to move car out of Canada.

Unlike PR holders, you won't need to export car out of USA. You can directly show up at CBSA checkpost and temporarily import car.

2. Yes, It would be an export from Canada to US. Also note that there is no concept of title in Canada. You will be surrendering title + car registration in Canada and in return you will get only car registration. Keep xerox of title as you will need it while importing car back into USA.

gusguswx

Sep 19, 2018
Hello all,

This post has been rather helpful. Thanks to all of you volunteer contributors! I do have a couple more questions and I'd appreciate if someone could help me here. I am a US Citizen relocating to Ottawa for a job that has been offered to me. At this time, my work permit will be temporary, but it will likely evolve into PR in a year or so. I am planning to drive my own 2005 vehicle across the border. These are my questions:

1) From previous comments, it appears that initially landing in Canada on a temporary work permit will not allow me to permanently import the vehicle into Canada. That is not an option. Is that indeed the case?
2) Assuming number 1 is correct, and I must only temporarily import the vehicle to Canada at this time, are any fees or taxes due at the border for a temporary importation?
3) If the answer to number 2 above is yes, and provincial taxes are due, do I owe taxes on the province where I first enter Canada with my car or in the province of my intended residence (I am planning to enter Canada through the Montana/Alberta border, but will be residing in Ontario)
4) If my car is only temporarily imported into Canada, do I still have to re-register and re-plate my car in Ontario or can I continue to use my US plates and registration?
5) Am I required to get an Ontario-compliant car insurance for my temporarily imported vehicle? Or can I maintain my US insurance in that scenario?

Thank you!

Reactions: email.6633

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
@gusguswx

1. That's correct. On temporary permit you cannot import car permanently into Canada.
4. You will need to register car in Canada.
5. You will need to take Canadian insurance.