+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

stay back options for international students

its me

Apr 22, 2013
Hi friends ,I have got offer letter from George brown college for 1 year graduate certificate program.Now i am very confused regarding the stay back and work permit.??My question is ,if we do again a 1 year program just after completion of the first course program.then how many years stay back will be permitted to us???..Is it possible to get three years stay back??

Nadeem_jee

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2010
U.A.E
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2010
Doc's Request.
30-04-2010
Nomination.....
00-00-00
AOR Received.
30-04-2010/1st AOR
IELTS Request
01-04-2010
File Transfer...
9-06-2010/25-08-2010 2nd AOR
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
00-00-00
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
its me said:
Hi friends ,I have got offer letter from George brown college for 1 year graduate certificate program.Now i am very confused regarding the stay back and work permit.??My question is ,if we do again a 1 year program just after completion of the first course program.then how many years stay back will be permitted to us???..Is it possible to get three years stay back??
A single program of 2 years will let you fetch the 3 years PGWP.. not 2 seperate program of year year length and PGWP issues once in life!!!!! so better apply for a 2 years program!!

its me

Apr 22, 2013
Thanks ...but this agency is cliaming that if we do again a 1 yr program after this make us eligible for three yr stayback..

tiger007

Champion Member
its me said:
Hi,

International students studying in recognized colleges/universities of Canada atleast a 1 academic year/2 sem/ actual 8 months of study course are eligible for PGWP (Post Grad Work Permit - which allows international students to stay back temporarily and work for up to max. 3 years) as well as OCWP (only those institutions participating in OCWP category, which allows international students to work for part time-20 hours/week after 6 months of actual study in Canada).

After pursuing a 1 year course at GBC, you will be eligible for a 1 year PGWP. To become eligble for a 3 years PGWP, one must complete a recognized full time course of 2 academic years/ 4 semesters/ atleast 16 months of actual study.

On the official CIC website, there is no mentioned rule on PGWP after pursuing two 1 academic year courses.
(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp)

Hence, there's no guarantee of a 3 years PGWP after pursuing two full time separate 1 academic year (2 sem/8 months of actual study) programs provided, each academic year is of atleast 28-30 credits/credit load or more. You may or may not get. You can be assured of a 2 year PGWP though. It really depends on luck. Ultimately it's up to the Visa officer issuing your PGWP.

To know more about other courses and colleges... Here's the list of ALL recognized Canadian educational institutes eligible for OCWP+PGWP, listed according to province:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/participants.asp

To know more about studying and working in Canada visit the official CIC website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/

To know more about various student immigration programs in Canada for international students (see April 2013 update with official links; mid page 6):
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/various-immigration-programmes-for-international-students-in-canada-t100908.75.html

Best of Luck.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

Nadeem_jee

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2010
U.A.E
Visa Office......
ABUDHABI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2010
Doc's Request.
30-04-2010
Nomination.....
00-00-00
AOR Received.
30-04-2010/1st AOR
IELTS Request
01-04-2010
File Transfer...
9-06-2010/25-08-2010 2nd AOR
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
00-00-00
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
its me said:
Thanks so much for the information.
see the best man to explain this is Tiger bro.....

so ur agency is making you fool upon 1 year 2 different courses.. the course should be single of 2 year length!!!

prokrito

Star Member
Apr 2, 2013
Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From Fanshawe College they confirmed me that if I will do two back to back diploma then I will be eligible for 3 years work permit.

Read the article from the link below-

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194A.asp

there are some lines I am mentioning-

Revised program criteria

Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.

from this line I can understand that If a student who is holding a one year degree or diploma and again do a degree or diploma within 2 years (means if you complete your diploma in 2012 you have to earn another diploma within 2014) they will be eligible for 3 years work permit.

whats your opinion Tiger and Nadeem vai?

Reactions: Anjali Raj

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's true, you may obtain three years PGWP even after completing 2 separate one year programs. Key word here "MAY" Obtain subject to conditions mentioned by Tiger.

Cheers!

prokrito

Star Member
Apr 2, 2013
Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lol the key word "may" is also written in the original area-

Impact of length of program of study in Canada and the length of the work permit

A Post-Graduation Work Permit cannot be valid longer than the official length of your program of study in Canada. For example, students graduating from a four-year degree program might be eligible for a three-year year work permit. Students graduating from an eight-month certificate program would only be eligible for a work permit of eight months.

If the official length of your program of study is:

* less than eight months
you are not eligible for this program
* less than two years but more than eight months
you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of your program of study (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months)
* two years or more
a work permit may be issued for three years

its me

Apr 22, 2013
Hello friends.I am 28 years old and a nurse having three and half years exp...suppose if i get only one year stayback after one year Graduate certificate program ...What all are the options available for me to get pr or further stay.

tiger007

Champion Member
prokrito said:
From Fanshawe College they confirmed me that if I will do two back to back diploma then I will be eligible for 3 years work permit.

Read the article from the link below-

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob194A.asp

there are some lines I am mentioning-

Revised program criteria

Students holding a one-year graduate degree, diploma or certificate from a participating institution in Canada after having obtained, within the prior two years, a certificate, a diploma or degree from a participating institution in Canada may qualify for a three-year work permit. This exception also applies to students who have left Canada temporarily between programs of study.

from this line I can understand that If a student who is holding a one year degree or diploma and again do a degree or diploma within 2 years (means if you complete your diploma in 2012 you have to earn another diploma within 2014) they will be eligible for 3 years work permit.

whats your opinion Tiger and Nadeem vai?

Hi,

Yes, they have mentioned so on Operational Bulletin 194, dated June 1, 2010. Yet, we can never be sure. They may or may not. Many international students, do get only a 2 years PGWP, after completing 2 separate 1 acd year/2 sem courses...while others get 3 years PGWP. I think, it basically depends on the credit load... often some certificates have less than 28-30 credit load/Annum..and hence after pursuing even 1 such certificate, it may not get equal to 2 acad. years of study... and hence only a PGWP of 2 years. Besides, nothing can be said 100% on matters like these... there are people with bad luck... who even after pursing 2 acd years/4 sem/16 continuous months course, get only a PGWP of 2 years.. while there have been rare cases, where some 1 pursuing 1 year University Master degree (with atleast 56 credit hours) get 3 years PGWP! Also.. most students after pursuing 2 sem/8 months/1 acad. year courses usually get 1 year PGWP..while some with bad luck get only 8 months long PGWP. So.. it really comes down to luck... totally depends on the V.O issuing your PGWP... V.O has that power in his/her hand... sadly... we can do nothing about it... except for pray and keep hoping for the best!

Hope you got my point.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

its me

Apr 22, 2013
Hello friends..i am 28 years old and got offer letter from GBC for one yr graduate certificate program.
My academic percentages are
bachelors 63 %
Post secondary 72 %
Secondary 84%
No back logs
No gaps inacademics and exp.
So need to know about my visa approval chances.

prokrito

Star Member
Apr 2, 2013
Dhaka
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes I have got your point, don't know the future, just going ahead and praying.

Please review this-

LOA from Fanshawe College, London, Ontario

Program Study: Professional Financial Service and International Business Management
Academic Status: Full Time
Level of Study: Post Graduate Program
Length of Study: 2 Years (4 semester)

but personally I know that I will get two different certificate.

so this is originally 1+1=2, so VO will evaluate in which perspective?

tomsware

Dec 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2013
Doc's Request.
already submitted with application
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
25-07-2013
IELTS Request
already submitted with application
tiger007 said:
Hi,

Yes, they have mentioned so on Operational Bulletin 194, dated June 1, 2010. Yet, we can never be sure. They may or may not. Many international students, do get only a 2 years PGWP, after completing 2 separate 1 acd year/2 sem courses...while others get 3 years PGWP. I think, it basically depends on the credit load... often some certificates have less than 28-30 credit load/Annum..and hence after pursuing even 1 such certificate, it may not get equal to 2 acad. years of study... and hence only a PGWP of 2 years. Besides, nothing can be said 100% on matters like these... there are people with bad luck... who even after pursing 2 acd years/4 sem/16 continuous months course, get only a PGWP of 2 years.. while there have been rare cases, where some 1 pursuing 1 year University Master degree (with atleast 56 credit hours) get 3 years PGWP! Also.. most students after pursuing 2 sem/8 months/1 acad. year courses usually get 1 year PGWP..while some with bad luck get only 8 months long PGWP. So.. it really comes down to luck... totally depends on the V.O issuing your PGWP... V.O has that power in his/her hand... sadly... we can do nothing about it... except for pray and keep hoping for the best!

Hope you got my point.

things are getting tougher and will be more difficult down the line 2/3 years later for interenational student....

if you MUST require a 3 yr work permit, take a 2-yr program, dont take any chance....

else, you join for 1-yr and you can try after 1 yr which you CAN'T assess now...

no body can assure you here... coz sometimes its a case to case basis,

decision is yours ...

its me

Apr 22, 2013
Hello friends..i am 28 years old and got offer letter from GBC for one yr graduate certificate program.
My academic percentages are
bachelors 63 %
Post secondary 72 %
Secondary 84%
No back logs
No gaps in academics and exp.
So need to know about my visa approval chances.