+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Statutory declaration

Comflakes

Nov 1, 2011
Hi,

Any one with on suggestion on how my partner and I can do the statutory declaration of Common Law relationship. We will need to attach a copy with our inland common law spousal sponsorship. Not sure how or where to get it done.

Thanks

SKtoCA

Oct 7, 2013
Comflakes said:
We will need to attach a copy with our inland common law spousal sponsorship.
You do not need to have a statutory declaration that you are in a common-law relationship. The only statutory declaration you may need is from individuals with personal knowledge that your relationship is genuine and continuing. But even that is not a strict requirement. From my understanding you only need to show convincing proof that you are in a common-law relationship and a statutory declaration is one option you can use.

As to where you can get one, I'm not sure what city you are in but it should be pretty simple to google "statutory declarations" + "Your City" in Google. Most likely you'll find a Lawyer or a Notary institution.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Comflakes said:
We will need to attach a copy with our inland common law spousal sponsorship.
Why do you think that? It doesn't even mention once the "Stat Declaration of common-law" document anywhere in the inland application guides or checklists: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

sanda

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-May-2013
AOR Received.
09-May-2013
LANDED..........
15-March-2014
I went to a notary public to get Signature of Commissioner of Oaths in the Statutory Declaration of Common-law Law Union. I asked the quote to a couple notary public offices in advance as the pricing for the service is very depends. I went with the cheapest one ($10!). I believe it's very worth having this document because common-law relationship doesn't have an official legal declaration like marriage certificate other than this.

Comflakes

Nov 1, 2011
Well we already applied almost a year ago. Didnt know we needed the common law declaration. Now the requesting for it and its really cost us some delay.

Comflakes

Nov 1, 2011
Hi Sanda,

We also in Vancouver, where did you get it done. I only seem to see the ones for 50 buck. Does the commissioner write the letter or how does it work? Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Comflakes said:
Well we already applied almost a year ago. Didnt know we needed the common law declaration. Now the requesting for it and its really cost us some delay.
Are you talking about the Stat Declaration of Common-Law union document, or getting statutory declarations from friends and family about your relationship??

sanda

Star Member
Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-May-2013
AOR Received.
09-May-2013
LANDED..........
15-March-2014
Hi Comflakes,

We went to this notary public:
http://www.myvancouverlawyer.com/

You'd better to make an appointment in advance.

so I'm talking about my Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union. If you meant statutory declarations from friends and family, it would be a letter or some other format the notary suggests.

We brought Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union [IMM 5409] (filled except for signature part and printed) and our each ID.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

As Rob_TO mentioned that this form IMM5409 is not in Inland application package but in Outland one, but we submit this for our Inland application as we got the advice to strengthen the proof of our relationship.

Comflakes

Nov 1, 2011
Thanks guys, Yes its the statutory declaration for common law union. We were also told that we could include statutory declaration from friends and family aswell to support the common law one.

Sanda, will check the notary link. I guess I will have to download the form 5409 aswell to take with us.