+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"statutory declaration of common law union" paper?

una

Jan 23, 2012
Hi everyone,

this paper IMM 1344 confuses me a bit. Can anyone help me figure out who and if one is supposed to fill it out?

thanks!

una

una

Jan 23, 2012
Never mind this one, I found out that if there is no co-signer (which is the case here) then this paper is not needed.

This co-signer business makes things a bit confusing.

Good luck everyone!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What makes you think that? There isn't a relationship between the sponsor having or not having a co-signer for the undertaking and the spousal category being one of "common-law union." If you are not married to your sponsor but have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period and you have combined your affairs into one household, then you are in a common-law union by CIC's definition and you must fill out the statutory declaration saying so.

una said:
Never mind this one, I found out that if there is no co-signer (which is the case here) then this paper is not needed.

This co-signer business makes things a bit confusing.

Good luck everyone!

Irishladyloo

Star Member
Jan 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-09-2011
AOR Received.
08-09-2011
File Transfer...
14-11-2011
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
25-05-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2012 (Received 19-03-2012)
LANDED..........
24-04-2012
We also signed a common-law union declaration! I'm pretty sure it's one of the necessary pieces of paperwork that does not depend on circumstance...

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
well, besides being married of course :)
Irishladyloo said:
We also signed a common-law union declaration! I'm pretty sure it's one of the necessary pieces of paperwork that does not depend on circumstance...

Irishladyloo

Star Member
Jan 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-09-2011
AOR Received.
08-09-2011
File Transfer...
14-11-2011
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
25-05-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
24-04-2012
ddobro2 said:
well, besides being married of course :)
Ah yes, but then you'd be applying as a spouse and would have no reason for common-law at all!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think we misinterpreted each other. When you said, that that form is "one of the necessary pieces of paperwork that does not depend on circumstance," I thought you were talking about as necessary in the spousal category of the Family Class application process. We fill out about 95% of the forms in common in Family Class.
Irishladyloo said:
Ah yes, but then you'd be applying as a spouse and would have no reason for common-law at all!

Irishladyloo

Star Member
Jan 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-09-2011
AOR Received.
08-09-2011
File Transfer...
14-11-2011
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
25-05-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
24-04-2012
Sorry, yes, I meant it doesn't depend on the circumstance of your common-law application and whether you have a co-signer! Not worded very well on my part. ::)

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lol, no worries :)
Irishladyloo said:
Sorry, yes, I meant it doesn't depend on the circumstance of your common-law application and whether you have a co-signer! Not worded very well on my part. ::)

una

Jan 23, 2012
Thanks everyone. Of course I want to fill out all the forms Im supposed to, but in the guide (3900) it says:

"This form must be completed and signed by the sponsor and common-law partner, only if the latter is a co-signer on the application."

Since I am not a co-signer on the application then I would assume we would not fill that out?

Perhaps someone can explain to me why some people have a co-singer and others don´t? All I know is that I can´t be a co-signer because Im not a canadian citizen.

una

Jan 23, 2012
here is the link to the guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp

scroll down till about half way (and a litle more), where it talks about the "Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union" (IMM 5409, I wrote the wrong number the first time)

una

Jan 23, 2012
One more note: I am the one being sponsored, I am Icelandic and the one who is sponsoring me is Canadian.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As you said, you cannot, as an applicant for permanent residence in Canada, co-sponsor yourself. The family class stream is primarily but not exclusively for spousal category applicants. Therefore, if you are like the many applicants being sponsored by a spouse, your spouse will NOT have a spouse or common-law partner sign the undertaking as 1) you cannot co-sponsor yourself, like already mentioned, and 2) if your spouse had another spouse/CL spouse that would be illegal and invalidate your application. Moreover, there is not much need to have a consigner for a spousal undertaking because there is no income requirement to sponsor someone in this category. People who sponsor another family member, on the other hand, may have their spouse or CL spouse serve as a co-signer on the undertaking- if the latter, they'd obviously need to fill out the Declaration of Common Law Union to prove that relationship.
una said:
Thanks everyone. Of course I want to fill out all the forms Im supposed to, but in the guide (3900) it says:

"This form must be completed and signed by the sponsor and common-law partner, only if the latter is a co-signer on the application."

Since I am not a co-signer on the application then I would assume we would not fill that out?

Perhaps someone can explain to me why some people have a co-singer and others don´t? All I know is that I can´t be a co-signer because Im not a canadian citizen.

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
While the declaration of common-law union is not necessary for any spousal sponsorship, common-law applicants in the spousal category sometimes fill it out, and get it notarized (or similar) simply because then they have a legal document declaring their relationship. I have heard of many common-law applicants (myself included) who put it in their application to strengthen their common-law proof.