+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Startup Visa Program Timeline

Rakap

Star Member
Jul 10, 2019
@Rakap it might also be beneficial to direct the message to the Parliamentary Committee on Immigrations.
Sean Fraser, as an immigration minister receives hundreds of emails daily from all over the world about immigration - a good number about processing times.

However we if highlight our issues with the Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration, then we can perhaps make it an agenda item for their next meetings
https://www.ourcommons.ca/Committees/en/CIMM/Meetings

The MP members of this committee are the ones who put pressure and question the immigration minister. And he answers (responds) to them.

Their contact page is here
https://www.ourcommons.ca/Committees/en/CIMM/Contact

If we are writing a message if should be carefully crafted, reasonable, evidence based, and solutions oriented. These guys (IRCC, MPs, The Standing Committee) receive loads of complaints daily - but not enough propositions.

But if we can brainstorm, we can come up with highlight operational inefficiencies in IRCC, make a case for expediency on our applications, and propose some simple solutions.

Among other things we can highlight:

SUV Work permit application process
-
The official application process for SUV applicants is out of date, doesn't work and there is a lot of confusion for candidates
- The actual application (IMM something I forget) for SUV has confusing/conflicting field selections
- The Come to Canada tool doesn't work for SUV work permit applicants

Proposed solution
- Despite out of date application documentation, SUV applicants have found ways of applying using the Come to Canada tool. We can suggest IRCC either adopt the workarounds we have devised - by simply updating the SUV work permit application process page. We can send them the procedure we used to get the right forms on the online application tools. I think this is a very simple solution.

Or IRCC can fix the online application tool for SUV work permit applicants. (a long term more robust solution)

SUV Stream specific communication
- Since the pandemic, IRCC has communicated to other immigrations categories what they should expect about their application processing during the pandemic. Other immigration categories have had an idea of the approach IRCC is taking towards their immigration streams during the pandemic.

On other hand, for StartUp Business Applicants - there has not been a single program-wide communication from IRCC about how they will responding or handling our applications.

Of all the issues and problems IRCC has encountered during the pandemic - I think this lack of communication is the worst - because uncertainty for businesses/startups is one of worst headaches for founders.

Proposed solution
-
IRCC should issue a SUV wide communication to current and future StartUp Visa business applicants on what they should expect during this pandemic. Whether it is negative or positive news. I think this is a very simple solution.

Long processing times
- Understandably, the pandemic has caused long processing times for all immigration categories. However I think IRCC hasn't paid attention or even acknowledged the devastating effects of long processing times and uncertainty to startup businesses. Uncertainty and long processing times could potentially destroy the SUV immigration program if IRCC continues to ignore this stream.

Proposed solution
- I'm not sure about the internal operational mechanics for IRCC. But based on what I have read online and assumptions about processing capacity:
However if:
* There are about ~1500 SUV applicants every year;​
* And the salary one IRCC officer is $70,000;​
* And a program dedicated officer can finalize about 10-20 applications a week (2-4 daily, 5 days a week)​
Then it is possible for us to raise $70,000 to help IRCC hire a dedicated staff member to potentially finalize 10-20 applications every week, and clear 520 - 1040 applications in the SUV backload​

- Alternatively IRCC can just prioritize our applications.

There are other issues and solutions we can suggest to IRCC about the way it responds to crises (Ukraine etc). Because they seems to always push our applications further back in the queue whenever there is a world crisis.

Let me know what you guys think

So Idea is to write to a committee member in IRCC - it seems she has responded positively in past to one of the SUVs.

My idea is to write a simple email and indicate that we are desperate now and this long wait with no update/ no communication is not OK with us. If many of us write this can be their next agenda. My targeted date is 15 March 2022 as the world crisis should have eased out and they discuss us next.
"Common email subject line along with the name of the startup" and individual topic issues can be taken up by each startup so that the emails are unique - with a common issue - SUV to be prioritised.

IRCC has 1 staff in Montreal collecting paper-based applications. To ease and speed up the process they made this process online recently. However, the backlog may be a minimum of 2000 - 3000 paper-based applications, which is difficult to process, either they allow us to resubmit the application online - assign special numbers and start looking at it and provide an online update - a parallel log like GCMS notes as to what was opened or seen today and in case they need further info in that section.

IRCC takes the assistance of top industry people and Incubators to assess the applications where the cases are unique and they do have a team to assess business cases. They just need to remobilise the staff strength to 50 more people make us a priority for a few months and clean the backlog - like they do when their other crisis comes up.

We can form a group on google outside this forum to write the letter together - but each one needs to send it separately. One email does not indicate a crisis.

mamad611

Star Member
Mar 21, 2020
Category........
BUSINESS
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
31-07-2020
Doc's Request.
Temp Application Number: 2021-01-25
AOR Received.
2022-09-20
Med's Request
2023-01-25
Med's Done....
2023-02-10
So Idea is to write to a committee member in IRCC - it seems she has responded positively in past to one of the SUVs.

My idea is to write a simple email and indicate that we are desperate now and this long wait with no update/ no communication is not OK with us. If many of us write this can be their next agenda. My targeted date is 15 March 2022 as the world crisis should have eased out and they discuss us next.
"Common email subject line along with the name of the startup" and individual topic issues can be taken up by each startup so that the emails are unique - with a common issue - SUV to be prioritized.

IRCC has 1 staff in Montreal collecting paper-based applications. To ease and speed up the process they made this process online recently. However, the backlog may be a minimum of 2000 - 3000 paper-based applications, which is difficult to process, either they allow us to resubmit the application online - assign special numbers and start looking at it and provide an online update - a parallel log like GCMS notes as to what was opened or seen today and in case they need further info in that section.

IRCC takes the assistance of top industry people and Incubators to assess the applications where the cases are unique and they do have a team to assess business cases. They just need to remobilize the staff strength to 50 more people make us a priority for a few months and clean the backlog - like they do when their other crisis comes up.

We can form a group on google outside this forum to write the letter together - but each one needs to send it separately. One email does not indicate a crisis.
@Rakap I agree with you, let me know what I can do in this regard.

- The same topic line plus startup name
- Body of the email must be short and specific on starting the process of SUV applications, also explains our reasons even though we are a small amount number.

Reactions: Rakap

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
Tomorrow the IRCC committee is meeting Today and Tomorrow to discuss:

Budgetary issues and Recruitment and Acceptance Rates of Foreign Students.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/Committees/en/CIMM/Meetings

We need to write on together is my humble request if we wish to be on their agenda
Just my two cents, we should write sooner rather than later as the Ukraine crisis is only getting worse and will be higher priority going forward. So I would say write today itself rather than wait for 15th March. As the average response time from Immigration Minister is 6 weeks and then also we will get a generic response.

Last edited:

Rakap

Star Member
Jul 10, 2019
Just my two cents, we should right sooner rather than later as the Ukraine crisis is only getting worse and will be higher priority going forward. So I would say write today itself rather than wait for 15th March. As the average response time from Immigration Minister is 6 weeks and then also we will get a generic response.
I agree sooner the better my intention also was that - but there is a group also from HK writing with us who need some more time to add members.

Can we target then on 7/8 March 2022? Today I fear they are already in weekend mode. They are 12hours behind so Monday after 12 pm (India/ GCC time) is best

Reactions: Startup_Visa

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
I agree sooner the better my intention also was that - but there is a group also from HK writing with us who need some more time to add members.

Can we target then on 7/8 March 2022? Today I fear they are already in weekend mode. They are 12hours behind so Monday after 12 pm (India/ GCC time) is best
Sounds good, also maybe it's easier to start a group chat over the messages in this forum as it's more iterative process, so might be easier.

Rakap

Star Member
Jul 10, 2019
Sounds good, also maybe it's easier to start a group chat over the messages in this forum as it's a more iterative process, so might be easier.
True, i created a group chat and included many of them who have been regular on this forum

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021
Hi all,

I found my case a bit strange, anyone which experience please help to advise :

+ Heath check requested: Mid Dec 2021

+ Heath check passed: Mid Jan 2022

Nothing happened from then. Even one other group member had PPR and COPR subsequently, I am still at waiting position for 1.5 month from mid Jan 2022

Thanks all !

moh122

Star Member
Apr 19, 2021
Hi all,

Nothing happened from then. Even one other group member had PPR and COPR subsequently, I am still at waiting position for 1.5 month from mid Jan 2022

Thanks all !
You will get PPR and COPR soon.

What is your timeline?

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
Hi all,

Thanks all !
Based on historical trends, it should happen anytime soon. But clearly there is some obvious delays as we haven't seen any movement on SUV files since Dec 2021. Looks like that 1-2 ppl who were working on SUV files are reassigned or just on leave.

For our context, please update when did you send your application and what's the AOR and other timelines like ADR?

Bolaji1984

Mar 3, 2020
I applied for suv work in November 2021 from South africa. Did biometrics 2nd of December 2021 medical on the 22 of December. Additional documents requested on the 4 of January 2022. It's gone quiet ever since

Bolaji1984

Mar 3, 2020
Not sure where you guys applied from but a lawyer told me those who applied via India might get pr before we due to backlog

moh122

Star Member
Apr 19, 2021
I applied for suv work in November 2021 from South africa. Did biometrics 2nd of December 2021 medical on the 22 of December. Additional documents requested on the 4 of January 2022. It's gone quiet ever since
Processing time for work permit in South Africa is 10 weeks, it's weird that you haven't got it until now.