+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Startup Visa Program Timeline

pinkfloyd2288

Jan 20, 2023
I included those in my wp and I got approved. I know those were not mandatory.
But this less than a year wp is so odd. I'm about to arrive in Canada and this bothers me a lot. Do you think it is a good idea to raise my concern or it may cause me trouble
Hey @amir788 , Best to raise it with the IRCC officer who will issue you your WP once you land in Canada,since it is his or her discretion I guess - some times they can make mistakes as well. You can mention that others you know have got it for 1 year from the time they landed -they will then check up internally and possibly correct it. Best to raise this on the the spot with them and get it resolved. Else will be difficult to catch hold of an ircc officer after that. Hope this helps, all the best for your landing!

amir788

Star Member
Dec 6, 2021
Hey @amir788 , Best to raise it with the IRCC officer who will issue you your WP once you land in Canada,since it is his or her discretion I guess - some times they can make mistakes as well. You can mention that others you know have got it for 1 year from the time they landed -they will then check up internally and possibly correct it. Best to raise this on the the spot with them and get it resolved. Else will be difficult to catch hold of an ircc officer after that. Hope this helps, all the best for your landing!
My bad, I meant the approval on the wp application.
yes you are right.
but I am not sure it was a mistake that they issued the wp from the pass request date since one of my friend got that in Toronto airport and another one got that in Vancouver airport. It is an very odd coincidence if we think it was a mistake!!!
Thank you for your advice.

TaYfaY

Dec 5, 2022
As per my knowledge the WP will b issued at the port of entry…validity of WP is applicalble from that day to onwards for a year. The sticker which you got from your residence country is just only a entry permit to canada. That is not actual WP. The validity for the entry is also for a year and you hve to enter before the expiry of it.
Best of luck for your new journey
yes you are right.
but I am not sure it was a mistake that they issued the wp from the pass request date since one of my friend got that in Toronto airport and another one got that in Vancouver airport. It is an very odd coincidence if we think it was a mistake!!!

Reactions: Rodneys and amir788

Angel soni

Star Member
Jul 27, 2022
Currently, it takes 5 months to get approved, hope it reduces :( and you will have to stay in Canada to keep your maintained status. Its quite a pain. Please submit your progress report with your extension application to avoid any unnecessary ADR's, which will lengthen the time taken.
the paper WP extension application takes less than 2 weeks. Is any one applying like this or is it only online ?

Last edited:

Angel soni

Star Member
Jul 27, 2022
I dont think that will be possible, but you can check with a immigration consultant if an indirect process is possible. The spouse's WP is dependent on the primary applicant. So he will have to find a way to get a WP as a primary applicant.
IRCC just sent emails to “opt in” for 18 month extension with no processing fees for spouses with open work permit expiring between aug 1 to dec 31 st 2023 and are in Canada And few other pré requisites.This option is valid till 28 th june.

here’s the link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/open-work-permit-holders.html

Angel soni

Star Member
Jul 27, 2022
yes you are right.
You mean to say the work permit at the border was issued till the validity of the TRV, the sticker that we get form our home country and not one whole year ?