+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting point and recommendations

prash001

Jul 9, 2022
Before I begin, please be kind. I know there’s a huge influx of these types of posts and I know how annoying it is when it seems like a person is trying to use a group such as this instead of googling for themselves. I promise I’ve read as much as I can and am to the point where I’m in info overload.

I’m trying to figure the best route to go for immigration or obtain recommendations for lawyers who can help.

Me: US Citizen, 31, f, with two associate degrees (graphic and web design), no criminal history, currently work as a photographer while going back to school for social work. I have an 11 year old daughter whom I have “joint” custody of. I am in a long-distance relationship with a nice Canadian man, also 31 and were wanting to take steps to share our lives together in Canada.

I know there are different options to get me across but with my current education level, custody situation, and the fact my bf and I don’t live together… I cannot decipher which would be best. Any help is appreciated.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Before I begin, please be kind. I know there’s a huge influx of these types of posts and I know how annoying it is when it seems like a person is trying to use a group such as this instead of googling for themselves. I promise I’ve read as much as I can and am to the point where I’m in info overload.

I’m trying to figure the best route to go for immigration or obtain recommendations for lawyers who can help.

Me: US Citizen, 31, f, with two associate degrees (graphic and web design), no criminal history, currently work as a photographer while going back to school for social work. I have an 11 year old daughter whom I have “joint” custody of. I am in a long-distance relationship with a nice Canadian man, also 31 and were wanting to take steps to share our lives together in Canada.

I know there are different options to get me across but with my current education level, custody situation, and the fact my bf and I don’t live together… I cannot decipher which would be best. Any help is appreciated.
Marriage and spousal sponsorship is definitely the quickest way. You could get a work permit in less than a year.

The time-consuming way is for you the two of you to establish a common-law relationship for 12 months; you could easily come to Canada as a US citizen. Extend your stay as a visitor, work graphic/web design remotely for non-Canadian clients.

The expensive way is to apply for a study permit.

Economic immigration (Express Entry, job offers) is virtually off the table for you given your age, education and industry.

No need to go to a lawyer or consultant. They will offer this same info. If you have the patience to go through this forum (especially the Family/Sponsorship option), you'll get all the information you need. The process and requirements are also very clearly defined.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

Reactions: armoured

alice17

Star Member
May 12, 2018
Victoria
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-04-2018
Hi!
You nicely laid it all out, but I would certainly not say Express entry is off the table considering her age etc. Though 20-29 get the highest maximum points, she still gets 90 points which isn't too bad plus all the other points added.

Also, there's the option to go through the EE or non-express entry PNP route.
Marriage and spousal sponsorship is definitely the quickest way. You could get a work permit in less than a year.

The time-consuming way is for you the two of you to establish a common-law relationship for 12 months; you could easily come to Canada as a US citizen. Extend your stay as a visitor, work graphic/web design remotely for non-Canadian clients.

The expensive way is to apply for a study permit.

Economic immigration (Express Entry, job offers) is virtually off the table for you given your age, education and industry.

No need to go to a lawyer or consultant. They will offer this same info. If you have the patience to go through this forum (especially the Family/Sponsorship option), you'll get all the information you need. The process and requirements are also very clearly defined.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

There isn't a clear cut answer at this time.

- Since you and your bf cannot live together, spousal sponsorship is only possible if you get married. This will be the easiest route.
- In terms of qualifying to immigrate on your own, the FSW stream is likely not possible based on your level of education and age. You probably won't score enough points to be selected over other candidates. You'll need to research the PNP programs to see if any of those are possible.
- If you have the cash, you could look into coming to Canada as an international student to complete your additional sutdies here. You'll need a bank balance of around $35k for that to be possible to cover first year tution, living expenses and additional funds since you are bringing your daughter.
- Regardless of which path you select, you'll need the father's permission to move the kids to Canada.

Reactions: YVR123

katakuri

Jul 8, 2022

Me: US Citizen, 31, f, with two associate degrees (graphic and web design), no criminal history, currently work as a photographer while going back to school for social work https://1921681001.id/. I have an 11 year old daughter whom I have “joint” custody of. I am in a long-distance relationship with a nice Canadian man, also 31 and were wanting to take steps to share our lives together in Canada.

My issue has been solved,..

prash001

Jul 9, 2022

Me: US Citizen, 31, f, with two associate degrees (graphic and web design), no criminal history, currently work as a photographer while going back to school for social work https://19216811.cam/. I have an 11 year old daughter whom I have “joint” custody of. I am in a long-distance relationship with a nice Canadian man, also 31 and were wanting to take steps to share our lives together in Canada.

I got this,...