+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting a new business and move to Canada from U.K

Brit4765

Mar 7, 2017
So I finally got married to my husband almost two years ago. He's Canadian and I'm U.K citizen. We don't permanently live together because my profession requires me to travel (professional travel blogger) now we're looking into getting me to move permanently to Canada.
My recent visit to Canada, I had quite a bit of bother with immigration (I usually stay in Canada with my husband for 2 or 3 months then I leave to work for 3 or 4 months and come back to Canada - I know it sounds weird but it worked for us because of work) the immigration officer didn't believe anything I told him and thought I was illegally working in Canada so after checking my phone, iPad, Mac and suitcase - he found nothing! Because I had zero intention to work in Canada. Anyway he wrote a note on my passport "potentially could be working illegally", does anyone know if I'm going to have a problem going back into Canada to see my husband?

Anyway, I'm taking courses to become a qualified hair extensionist and permanent make up artist (which I will do in canada) I'd like to move to Canada permanently with my husband and start a mobile business which hopefully will turn into a salon. How can I go about this legally. And which visas? (Apart from the study visa) I don't really want to go down the route of sponsorship because this wouldn't let me start my own business (heard this from a lawyer I saw) and I really don't want to be employed by a salon. I merely just want to be a mobile hair dresser (basically)

Any help or advice would be amazing because trying to be together is getting hard.
Thank you so much!!!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Brit4765 said:
So I finally got married to my husband almost two years ago. He's Canadian and I'm U.K citizen. We don't permanently live together because my profession requires me to travel (professional travel blogger) now we're looking into getting me to move permanently to Canada.
My recent visit to Canada, I had quite a bit of bother with immigration (I usually stay in Canada with my husband for 2 or 3 months then I leave to work for 3 or 4 months and come back to Canada - I know it sounds weird but it worked for us because of work) the immigration officer didn't believe anything I told him and thought I was illegally working in Canada so after checking my phone, iPad, Mac and suitcase - he found nothing! Because I had zero intention to work in Canada. Anyway he wrote a note on my passport "potentially could be working illegally", does anyone know if I'm going to have a problem going back into Canada to see my husband?

Anyway, I'm taking courses to become a qualified hair extensionist and permanent make up artist (which I will do in canada) I'd like to move to Canada permanently with my husband and start a mobile business which hopefully will turn into a salon. How can I go about this legally. And which visas? (Apart from the study visa) I don't really want to go down the route of sponsorship because this wouldn't let me start my own business (heard this from a lawyer I saw) and I really don't want to be employed by a salon. I merely just want to be a mobile hair dresser (basically)

Any help or advice would be amazing because trying to be together is getting hard.
Thank you so much!!!
You will be subject to greater scrutiny each time you enter Canada as a visitor from now on, so you should expect this.

If you are successfully sponsored as a PR by your spouse, you can then certainly set up your own business or be employed by anyone that wishes to employ you. You either misunderstood the lawyer or they don't know what they are talking about.

Brit4765

Mar 7, 2017
Thank you for your reply.
Do you know of such a thing, to get this note removed of my passport as really it was unprofessional of the immigration officers side. Giving his option without proof.

Yeh the lawyer said I would be able to start a business after I either get accepted or have permanent residency. If I get accepted it'll take around a year and permanent residency will take around three years.
I'm wanting to start something and get on track with moving there permanently by the end of this year :)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Brit4765 said:
Thank you for your reply.
Do you know of such a thing, to get this note removed of my passport as really it was unprofessional of the immigration officers side. Giving his option without proof.

Yeh the lawyer said I would be able to start a business after I either get accepted or have permanent residency. If I get accepted it'll take around a year and permanent residency will take around three years.
I'm wanting to start something and get on track with moving there permanently by the end of this year :)
Not much point in trying to apply for a new passport as the written note will possibly be backed up with a database entry against your name and date of birth. A new passport would however be the only option as tampering with the existing one will raise even more issues.

I think that an inland PR application with an associated OWP application is your only way forward to live and work in your own business in Canada before PR is granted. However, the times that the lawyer quoted are extremely pessimistic. Most applications are processed much faster.

Brit4765

Mar 7, 2017
Yeah I was thinking about getting a new passport but then also thought about what you said - it's probably on database.
I'm wondering will it stop me from going into America? :(

Thanxs for the info. I'll totally look into OWP application now! Seems like I need to get a new lawyer too :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Brit4765 said:
Yeah I was thinking about getting a new passport but then also thought about what you said - it's probably on database.
I'm wondering will it stop me from going into America? :(

Thanxs for the info. I'll totally look into OWP application now! Seems like I need to get a new lawyer too :)
No, it won't stop you from entering the US.

The OWP is only available to those already in Canada and applying for inland sponsorship. A requirement of inland is that you cohabit with your partner in Canada throughout the entire process. As you leave for months at a time, you would need to apply outland.

Also, you really don't need a lawyer. The vast majority of us did this process on our own without issue.

Brit4765

Mar 7, 2017
Yeah I'm kind of clueless to the whole process/immigration thing. I literally don't know where to begin or what to do no matter how much I read up on Google.
I guess apply and the worst they can do is refuse.
So it's nice talking to someone that has a clue :)
Yeah my husband wants to stay away from the lawyer root - they're only interested in the money and it's never a small amount :(

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Brit4765 said:
Yeah I'm kind of clueless to the whole process/immigration thing. I literally don't know where to begin or what to do no matter how much I read up on Google.
I guess apply and the worst they can do is refuse.
So it's nice talking to someone that has a clue :)
Yeah my husband wants to stay away from the lawyer root - they're only interested in the money and it's never a small amount :(
Start here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp.