Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
6 August,2013
LANDED..........
4 September,2013
Hey everyone,

What is Canada's Policy for Spouse Visa and Work Permit if one of them is on study permit?

Any documentation/links to CIC website/Real Life Cases will be really helpful.

Thanks...

Dennia

Jul 23, 2013
St.John's
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
21-08-2015
Passport Req..
20-Nov-2008
VISA ISSUED...
03-Dec-2008
LANDED..........
15-Dec-2008
I had a similar scenario for my wife (possibly will get a result in July). She applied fr a study permit too.

We provided all the study permit docs (GIC,frst sem fees,other funds proof, SOP and so on)

In addition to this I also provided some additional docs, like letter of invitation and support, my job details, my pay stubs,marriage proofs,honeymoon trip details and so on).

As far as I researched they dont have a separate stream for this case,but I believe since CIC is offering open work permit for spouses, they should also be offering study permit for spouses on a as required basis ( I think the reason fr a stream offering open work permit for spouse is based on the probability of cases,mostly people wnt their spouses to work and not study).

Dennia

Jul 23, 2013
St.John's
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
21-08-2015
Passport Req..
20-Nov-2008
VISA ISSUED...
03-Dec-2008
LANDED..........
15-Dec-2008
My wife received her SP approval through VFS today. Processing time approx. - 15days

Amrinder_Harika

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
6 August,2013
LANDED..........
4 September,2013
Thanks for following up on this Dennia. Whats status on your now? (Like Open work permit, study permit etc.)
Dennia said:
My wife received her SP approval through VFS today. Processing time approx. - 15days

som4u

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
Dennia said:
I had a similar scenario for my wife (possibly will get a result in July). She applied fr a study permit too.

We provided all the study permit docs (GIC,frst sem fees,other funds proof, SOP and so on)

In addition to this I also provided some additional docs, like letter of invitation and support, my job details, my pay stubs,marriage proofs,honeymoon trip details and so on).

As far as I researched they dont have a separate stream for this case,but I believe since CIC is offering open work permit for spouses, they should also be offering study permit for spouses on a as required basis ( I think the reason fr a stream offering open work permit for spouse is based on the probability of cases,mostly people wnt their spouses to work and not study).
Hello, please i would like to be cleared on this issue. I want to apply for a study permit for a phd program, can my spouse and children accompany me? please i would appreciate more information on this. thanks.........

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
som4u said:
Hello, please i would like to be cleared on this issue. I want to apply for a study permit for a phd program, can my spouse and children accompany me? please i would appreciate more information on this. thanks.........
Your spouse can apply for an open work permit, and children can apply for a trv. You can all apply together at the same time. Just ensure that you have money to cover all of you.

som4u

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
excitedme said:
Your spouse can apply for an open work permit, and children can apply for a trv. You can all apply together at the same time. Just ensure that you have money to cover all of you.
Thanks for the information. please what is the meaning of trv?

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
som4u said:
Thanks for the information. please what is the meaning of trv?
It means temporary resident visa. In other words a visitor visa

maxismiliano

Jun 26, 2015
Hello!

I have a similar question.. I want to apply to a study permit, and I do not know if I should present my common law partner, because I think it will delay my application (as you can see, I do not have so much time for September intake).. Do anyone know anything about delay times if I demonstrate my common law relationship? I am applying from VFS Argentina.

Thank you so much for your support!!

Maxi

Kavinli

Jun 25, 2015
Hi,
My husband is a full time Master student (2 years) and expect to graduate by early October, however his study permit expires on 31st of October 15. I came to Canada on open work permit last November after our marriage in June. I got a full time job offer and currently working at a permanent position.
At this point we are facing a situation where my husband is not very definite about the final completion date of his study as he is currently doing his thesis for which final submission date is mid-September, however it might take a month or so to finalize the results and receive final transcripts. We are concerned whether we might have only 2-3 weeks' time left to apply for postgraduate work permit before his current study permit expires and not have the 90 days' time period to prepare for that application like what other students usually have. Also I can't work until he has a job offer even though he applies for PSGWP.
At this situation we are thinking of extending his study permit for another term, his college is willing to do so. He will be applying for extending his stay using 5709 form. However our concern is, if I want to apply for extension of my open work permit does he need to be registered as a full time student during his extension or since it's his final extended semester can he do part time for me to apply to extend my work permit?.
Which form do I have to fill to extend my work permit? If 5910, which option should I choose initial work permit/permit with same employer/permit with another employer/temporary resident permit? Then in question 6, regarding intended work in Canada, do I have to mention about the current employer details and provide them my offer letter?

Thank you

Mar 27, 2023
I came here on a study permit and 1 year has been completed now I am getting married to a person who has PR in Canada. Now I want to discontinue this study. Is it possible to do?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I came here on a study permit and 1 year has been completed now I am getting married to a person who has PR in Canada. Now I want to discontinue this study. Is it possible to do?
Have you been studying full-time since arriving? When are you getting married? How long have you been dating? Will you be having a typical wedding based on your cultural norms and beliefs? Will family be attending? Will the wedding be solely for immigration purposes followed by another ceremony at a later date? In general are there any red flags that marriage and timing of marriage is primarily for immigration purposes. Would not stop studying full-time until you have applied for sponsorship. You will have to stop working when you stop studying full-time. Your school is supposed to report you as not attending after you stop studying which would lead to losing your study permit. This should happen although it doesn’t always happen. It would be best not to end up without status in Canada for a variety of reasons. When you stop studying so would also suggest changing your status to a visitor.